Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

ecolnago

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

New to the MFT world, but now that I’ve had a chance to play with my new E-M1 for a few weeks I can see there’s really little need to be hanging on to my Nikon DX kit as a precaution. Pretty sure the mft’s system will handily meet (and more often exceed) my needs, which are mainly travel and family pics.

Wondering if anyone can share their experience(s) using an adapter (type/brand?) in mounting a longer legacy lens to a mft body? Have a nice Nikon 300mm f4 D that I’d consider acquiring an adapter for if I thought I could actually generate any keepers out of the combo. Imagine it would be exclusively for perched birding, realizing they’ll be no AF. Mostly a hand-held guy, I’m just not so into it that I would want depend on a tripod every single shot. Have practiced a bit adding a Nikon 1.4 TC to the 300, but keeper rate fell significantly, and could more often than not get better results cropping the non-TC’d pics. Fearing the DX 300mm w/ the mft sensor might lead to similar results. Have the pro 40-150 f2.8 and am impressed with it’s reach and performance, but just thinking it might be fun having a super-telephoto available, even if only used rarely. After all, already made the largest part of the investment and will essentially be ‘giving’ it away if I let the glass go. Any insight or experience to share in these regards will be appreciated.

Oct 20, 2016 at 09:31 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

Could your poor results with the 1.4x TC on the 300 perhaps be due to camera shake? Were you hand holding that too? That would take a pretty fast shutter speed...

I have a Metabones adapter for Canon EF to MFT (E-M5), and it works very well; gives me adequate AF on AF lenses, too.

Oct 21, 2016 at 02:30 AM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

I also use the metabones smart T to adapt my canon lens (was lenses) to my EM-1, which is the ideal body for this as it has the PDAF sensors which enable the lenses to work as if they are 4/3rds lenses with all focus point options available

I had the 400f5.6L and 70-300 LIS both of which worked excellently and were well stabilised by the IBIS system

I sold all my canon kit but kept the ef-s 55-250 which is a nice light-weight walk about option when I want a bit more reach but don't want to take the Panasonic 100-400

Oct 21, 2016 at 08:30 AM
ELinder
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

Folks, he said Nikon, not Canon. AFAIK none of the Nikon to MFT adapters will allow autofocus.

Within the limits you've said, you can use the 300/4 manual focus on the E-M1, but at that range you will need to practice a lot on long lens technique for your keeper rate to go up. I just spent the weekend at an airshow trying out various combinations of my D5, 300mm F4 PF, 1.4TCE, and my E-M1 kit with 40-150/2.8, 300/4, and 1.4 extender. The 40-150 with 1.4 actually compared favorably with the D5 combo for sharpness when it hit focus, but of course the keeper rate was not nearly as high. The E-M1 with the 300/4 with and without the 1.4 is a whole other ballgame. My AFC results with the E-M1 were horrid compared to the D5. As I expected, since the D5 is at the top of the heap when it comes to focus performance. When the Olympus 300/4 hit focus, it was incredibly sharp. I suspect your Nikon will also be very sharp when you get it right. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time practicing to get to that point.

Erich

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:14 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

For Nikon, currently, there are no smart adapters so it would be manual focus only and the latest lenses that need electronic communication between camera and lens would be very limited.

Older lenses with mechanical aperture and focus are generally fine for MF.

I understand there are adapters with n aperture control in the adapter but I am not sure if those work all that well.

Smart adapters may well appear for Nikon to M4/3 but it may take a while (one has been made for Nikon to E mount).

Canon lenses make a lot more sense currently for adapting as there are a few smart adapters from Metabones including focal reducers and non- focal reducers and also from kipon (non focal reducer).

I have the Kipon and it works great with my GX7 at least with fast auto focus (AFS only).

I use my Canon lenses across systems though so it just saves me buying more lenses than I want or can afford.

Oct 21, 2016 at 07:25 PM
ecolnago

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

Thanks for the feedback. Appears, for whatever reason, the transition of adapting Canon glass to M4/3 has progressed much better than with Nikon glass. Looks like it's probably best if I just take my components-in-question to my local camera shop where all the stuff came from and see what, if any, options they can offer. Not expecting perfection, and don't mind dabbling a little bit of time and $ experimentation, just trying to avoid investing a bunch of either if it's a path that's going to end up going no where.

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:10 AM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

Which version of the Nikon 300 do you have? I've got the 300 f/4 ED (the pre AFS autofocus version) along with an E-M5. My wife shoots Nikon and I shoot Sony and m43 so it can be used on all three systems.

It's got manual aperture so a "dumb" adapter works fine, I got one for $10-$15 on Amazon. IBIS works but you have to manually enter the focal length in the camera. Being an AF lens, the MF isn't as nice as on dedicated MF lenses but it's usable. I think the pixel density on m43 pushes the limits of the lens wide open, looks better at 100% on my A7, stopping down a bit should help.

Shooting 600mm equivalent handheld will take a little practice even with IBIS, but for how cheap the adapters are I think it's worth having one on hand.

Oct 23, 2016 at 04:04 PM
hindesite

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

ecolnago wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Appears, for whatever reason, the transition of adapting Canon glass to M4/3 has progressed much better than with Nikon glass. Looks like it's probably best if I just take my components-in-question to my local camera shop where all the stuff came from and see what, if any, options they can offer. Not expecting perfection, and don't mind dabbling a little bit of time and $ experimentation, just trying to avoid investing a bunch of either if it's a path that's going to end up going no where.

I think you are over thinking this - I'll be VERY surprised if the camera shop is anywhere near up with the play when it comes to adapters, and due to economics, cheaper (but perfectly acceptable) options will never be available through a shop.

Best bet? Just buy a decent but cheap adapter on ebay, minimal outlay and you can see for yourself how this all works. If your version has manual aperture, you're set. I always buy adapters that will take a removable tripod foot now, since that is most versatile when using with other lenses. The quality of these adapters is the best I have found, and I have a LOT of adapters. http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/x0cAAOSwZ8ZW3CH0/s-l1600.jpg for example.

I use a Tamron 400 nikon mount lens with dumb adapter, works brilliant; internal focus, short throw, and focus peaking even allow to capture moving birds (an Panasonic, of course). See

" target="_blank">

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:16 AM
ecolnago

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

Thanks hindesite, you are correct, do often make things way more complicated than need be. Sounds as though there are a plethora of inexpensive adapters already out there and I just need to find something that will let me manipulate the aperture and give it a go.

My understanding is that on my M4/3 this 300mm DX lens converts to a 450mm focal length. I'd tried using a 1.4TC w/ the 300mm on a DX camera (D7K), but it was always hand-held and not nearly as successful as w/ the 300 sans TC. Assumption is I'm either going to need to give it a lot of practice to try and master it hand-held, or just resolve that it's a tripod only set-up. I'll get something ordered and see where it goes. Thanks.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:26 AM
ecolnago

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

Thanks hindesite, you are correct, do often make things way more complicated than need be. Sounds as though there are a plethora of inexpensive adapters already out there and I just need to find something that will let me manipulate the aperture and give it a go.

My understanding is that on my M4/3 this 300mm DX lens converts to a 450mm focal length. I'd tried using a 1.4TC w/ the 300mm on a DX camera (D7K), but it was always hand-held and not nearly as successful as w/ the 300 sans TC. Assumption is I'm either going to need to give it a lot of practice to try and master it hand-held, or just resolve that it's a tripod only set-up. I'll get something ordered and see where it goes. Thanks. And by the way, great video. Thanks, again.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

hindesite

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

ecolnago wrote:

My understanding is that on my M4/3 this 300mm DX lens converts to a 450mm focal length. I'd tried using a 1.4TC w/ the 300mm on a DX camera (D7K), but it was always hand-held and not nearly as successful as w/ the 300 sans TC. Assumption is I'm either going to need to
...Show more

Your 300mm lens will look exactly like any other 300mm lens on m4/3, including the native 300mm lenses. I'm assuming that you have other Nikon lenses, so any investment in a cheap adapter will be useful for those, too. I don't have any experience with adapters that control aperture on Nikon lenses, but they are available even though they cost considerably more.

Where these lenses really shine is for video, where except for certain camera body and lens combinations (looking at you, DFD) AF isn't as good as it should be.

The other areas where these lenses are useful is for macro (where AF is often not that useful), for extreme telephoto, where m4/3 choices are limited and atmospheric degradation reduces the advantages of using high quality optics in any case, and for solar or lunar imaging (including eclipses). Using a 500mm mirror lens for the latter has almost no downside, while its use in other scenarios is more limited.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:41 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

A 300mm lens on M4/3 gives the angle of view of a 600mm lens FF.

300mm on an APSC camera gives the angle of view of 450mm on a FF camera.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:53 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

The old Nikkor 300mm AF (non AF-S) works badly with any TC.

Oct 24, 2016 at 03:23 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

I had the old Nikkor 300 and agree fully with Jorgen. I've got an Nikon to M43 adapter by Kipon, because that is what my local store had in stock, and am quite happy with it. The machining is fine, the catch seems secure and no problems with infinite focus. I'v tried the 24F2.8 AIS, 55 micro, the 85 F2.0 Ai, the 105 F2.5 Ais (which I've sold) and the 135 F2.8. One stop down I've liked all of them well enough to use and not worry about the IQ, except maybe the 55 and 85 which do better two stops down.

However the 300 was terrible until f8 and in use such a pita that I'd never really use it except as an experiment.

I've got a new adapter coming in about a week, which has a graduated ND filter built in, and which can handle my 60 and 105 micro G lenses (for my fuji) and if that works well, I may buy one for my M43 bodies. I'm mostly eager to see you the NIkons, old and new alike, do in Infra Red. It is fun to experiment, but nothing beats the system lenses in use.

Oct 24, 2016 at 06:26 PM
Quickeye
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

Your 300mm D lens will work fine with a dumb adapter, but any lens designed for autofocus is less than ideal for manual focus. I have used my 300mm D with my EM-1 and it really is best on a tripod due to the weight of the lens. What is fun is using older MF only lens on your m4/3 camera. I have used Nikon 400mm F5.6 and 300mm F4.5 AIS lens on my EM-1. The Nikon 200mm F4 AIS is very handy and fun for BIF's (but very low keeper rate). I have been very pleased with Fotasy dumb adapters.

Oct 25, 2016 at 03:26 AM
hindesite

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

Quickeye wrote:
Your 300mm D lens will work fine with a dumb adapter, but any lens designed for autofocus is less than ideal for manual focus.

My experience seems to be very different; excluding m4/3 AF lenses, of which 95% are really hopeless for MF, relatively dumb old AF lenses can MF quite well, and in fact some of these are better in this respect than legacy MF lenses.

Old AF lenses tend to have a very light touch and a relatively short throw when used manually - I have the cheap PK mount Sigma zoom lenses (100-300 and 28-80) which are a good example; the shorter zoom even has a focus limiting switch.

My 400mm Tokina (sorry, not Tamron) has IF and an extremely short throw and light touch, it really is a delight to use. Similarly the Tamron 90/2.8 - this has an MF clutch, and has a nice feel and response.

All of these AF lenses are actually easier to use than many of my legacy MF-only lenses. MAybe I've been lucky, but obviously, YMMV.

Oct 26, 2016 at 08:33 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

I use a 300/2.8 Tamron all the time. Get really nice results with it. It's a pain to focus, for sure, but probably easier than pretty much any other camera, besides af with Nikon

Zoom in through live view in the vf (I think the EM -1 has a vf?)

I just use a cheapie adapter off ebay. You can try this for probably $10 or less. Why not? I get great photos with it.

Oct 26, 2016 at 09:55 PM
-Michael

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

ecolnago wrote:
Any insight or experience to share in these regards will be appreciated.

I did OK with a manual focus 300mm Nikon lens (the screw-drive Nikon 300/4 ED IF version) on an E-M1. The keeper rate on BIF's with manual focus was low, but I enjoyed the challenge anyway.

Heres an album of few photos from that combo.

And one where I got really lucky:

Snowy Owl by Michael Janke, on Flickr

Oct 30, 2016 at 02:46 AM
ecolnago

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Adapting longer legacy lens to E-M1 body?

Finally had the time to take a better look at my 300mm f4 Nikon and see that it actually does have a lockable aperture ring, thus I can control the aperture via the lens instead of needing an adapter with those capabilities. Thanks Quickeye, I'll take a look at which Fotasy to go with, and thanks -Michael for posting your great shots. Figuring those took a fair amount of both practice and luck, but it's good to see the potential is there.

Oct 30, 2016 at 05:35 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password