New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

la puffin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

I'm looking at a Induro GIT404XL for a general use tripod for my 400/2.8. I'm considering this because I don't want to pick out over a grand for a Gitzo on something I use infrequently, it's rated for 66 lbs. and searching on here, Induro seems to be of decent quality. I've read that it accepts Gitzo accessories such as a center column.

Like that this one goes up to 71" in height and down to under 6" for low level shooting. I'm guessing it has the four sections to give it the added height. Are there any disadvantages to going with this, versus a shorter tripod with three sections? I was taught to never extend tripod or monopod legs to their max because they're weaker at that point. Is there anything else to consider in this regard?

Thanks a lot,
Valerie

Oct 20, 2016 at 01:35 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

How tall are you? Add the max height of the tripod, the ballhead or gimbal, and the viewfinder distance up the camera body. Do you really need all that height?

Usually, four sections are made not for added height, but for shorter collapsed length. What's your limitation there?

With a very-high quality tripod, you won't give up much stability going from 3 to 4 sections, but with a 400/2.8 you'll exacerbate what instabilities are present. Look at the diameter of the smallest leg section on that Induro, as compared to other tripods of the same height (the height you actually need), and see what RRS and Gitzo offer, and look as well at the shorter Induro. I can't see that you need a 71" tripod.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:13 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

I'm 5'7". I'd use the height with a 24-70 or 14-24 to shoot down on someone/something (oe. motorcycle coming around a turn), and my usage with the 400 is for eyeball height or less. I thought the extra height would make it more versatile since it's my general usage tripod.

Are you saying that a three section tripod would be a little more stable? I've looked at RRS and Gitzo, but haven't seen anything used with these specs and in my price range. I'm going to go by Keeble and Shuchat in Palo Alto tomorrow as they're having a 40% store closing sale and see it they have a Gitzo in this load range around the same price as the Induro before I buy. But, I need something very soon, so I can't wait for something used to come around.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:37 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

The only reason I can think of to have a tripod much taller than you'd usually need would be for shooting on very uneven terrain, where you might need one or two legs to be set longer to level the tripod head. And, yes, generally 3-sections is more stable than 4, but again, with the best tripods, the difference is minimal. You do have to watch the diameter of the bottom leg section, though, as some manufacturers may use some that are very small.

I'd also keep an eye open for a good used tripod. The service items are usually not terribly expensive to replace (seals, lubrication, etc.), and they're part of normal maintenance, anyway, so it's a good way to save money on the initial buy. BTW, no bad feelings on my part about an Induro, but get a shorter one if it will work for you.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:46 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

joints are always problematic for stability/vibration and the lower the quality, the worse
- tho that does NOT mean it will make a difference in your shooting

good luck in quickly finding a used RRS or Gitzo leg set; also take a look at Feisol

if a cheap tripod turns out not to be worth it, you can always re-purpose the thing as a light stand (or a lawn ornament)

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:48 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

I have the RRS 24L. It sets up pretty tall, which I use on occasion. I shoot a lot of landscape so shooting on hills and around rocks means I use the added height often. Also, I have been known use it to shoot over crowds at times.

That said, typically, I use it like a 3 section tripod since much of the time I can leave the thinnest section unused. So, I don't pay the supposed 4 section penalty unless absolutely necessary.

And I say supposed because I used all 4 sections in strong wind many times and, at least with the RRS sticks, have not had an issue with stability. YMMV.

Peace,

Todd

Oct 20, 2016 at 04:04 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

I found a used Gotzo GT4552TS which is called a "travel" tripod, but it has 5 sections. It has a 55lbs. rating, so it's got to be sturdy enough. Now I'm hesitant about the five sections.

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

la puffin wrote:
I'm looking at a Induro GIT404XL for a general use tripod for my 400/2.8. I'm considering this because I don't want to pick out over a grand for a Gitzo on something I use infrequently, it's rated for 66 lbs. and searching on here, Induro seems to be of decent quality. I've read that it accepts Gitzo accessories such as a center column.

Like that this one goes up to 71" in height and down to under 6" for low level shooting. I'm guessing it has the four sections to give it the added height. Are there any disadvantages to
...Show more

Four sections in a big tripod like that should be fine for stability. You may be able to use only three sections most of the time unless you are tall, and the extra height is good for hillsides, etc.

EBH

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:07 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

4 sections. when I got my RRS TVC33 it was only available as it was. if I were to do it today it would be a TVC34.

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

I prefer a 3-section tripod because it has only 2/3 as many joints to set up (6 vs. 9) as a 4-legged tripod.

EBH

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:19 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

get the Gitzo and just don't extend the bottom ones - a Gitzo will be better than Induro or Feisol, much less the real cheapo brands

it should be just fine for the uses and lenses you listed; that is their Systematic line so the sturdiest or among the sturdiest

if it is not fun to use (it will be suitable) you can use it as a travel tripod

and BTW, why aren't you taking photos of puffins??

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

that's funny when I adjust the legs on my RRS tripods for height I adjust from the top. their bottom end is quite well made and rigid. no reason to play the "old" games. yes even with the TQC14.

don't knock the Induro Grande series. they are a really got product in its class.

i'd still rather have the 4 section. one grip and spin and they all come loose. its not a speed game. but it is a more compact setup. if your not going too far with it 3 is a good thing.

you want to look at the lowest leg section and see how robust it is. Gitzo has put quite literally pencil thing lowest sections on some of their stuff.

Oct 20, 2016 at 09:00 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

I also normally extend the lower sections and then adjust from the top. Who wants to bend down so much?

EBH

Oct 20, 2016 at 09:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

Agreed

Oct 20, 2016 at 09:28 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

rw11 wrote:
get the Gitzo and just don't extend the bottom ones - a Gitzo will be better than Induro or Feisol, much less the real cheapo brands

it should be just fine for the uses and lenses you listed; that is their Systematic line so the sturdiest or among the sturdiest

That bottom section is really thin, but it's rated for 55 lbs. I think if I go Gitzo, the GT5532S would be the way to go. I just can't budget $1100 right now for something I won't use to frequently, and I need something next week. I jus bought a D5 which I love, and no regrets. I foolishly didn't plan for having to upgrade so much when moving into super tele and a 3 lbs. body.

rw11 wrote:
and BTW, why aren't you taking photos of puffins??

Birds and wildlife are like children - they're great for other people, but not for me.

I was tagged with "Puffin" by some friends because I'm always puffing on a cigar when I golf.

---------------------------------------------

sjms wrote:
don't knock the Induro Grande series. they are a really got product in its class.

you want to look at the lowest leg section and see how robust it is. Gitzo has put quite literally pencil thing lowest sections on some of their stuff.

Art Morris plugs Induro but he may get a kick back from B&H. The GIT404L No. 4 ticks most of the boxes. The problem is, I've never used a really nice tripod, so I don't know if I get the Induro, if it's any good or not. My basis for judgement is whether it holds the camera steady and can take some wind when shooting surfing. I guess if it doesn't do that, I can return it and get the GT5532S.

Having a puff and ready to shoot some wildlife

Oct 20, 2016 at 09:53 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

EB-1 wrote:
I also normally extend the lower sections and then adjust from the top. Who wants to bend down so much?

EBH

Same hear. I always extend from the bottom up, that way the locks I need to manipulate are a short reach away. Yeah, I am probably giving up some stability, but comfort and convenience take priority for me.

On the 3 vs 4 section - I have a 3-section Gitzo 1, and a 4-section Gitzo-3. There were two considerations driving this choice

a) The 1-series tubes are rather flimsy, so I did not want to give up too much stability. At the same time I did not want to haul a 3-series tripod 2000ft in the vertical direction when I had to do this.

b) Fit in carry-on luggage. There was no way a 3-series 3-section tripod ever makes it. With the 4-section I can disassemble the legs and it will fit in a carry-on.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

I just spent the day listening to Scott Kelby, Joe McNally and a few others doing their dog and pony show for their respective "support" groups. so yes depending on your ethics you either believe in your product or your just in it for the $$$. but then you need to think how they value their name.

now, as to tripods and wind. the aerodynamics of a camera setup on a tripod leaves a lot to be desired depend on a whole bunch of factors.
1- big lenses with hoods
2- big lenses with hoods and a body attached to it
3- tripods don't stop the above mentioned hardware from catching a "breeze"

a tripod supports a camera setup so that is easier to use under various situations
shooting "active situations" requires an "active/dynamic" support system

in the end you will not own just a single tripod.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:19 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

GroovyGeek wrote:
Same hear. I always extend from the bottom up, that way the locks I need to manipulate are a short reach away. Yeah, I am probably giving up some stability, but comfort and convenience take priority for me.

On the 3 vs 4 section - I have a 3-section Gitzo 1, and a 4-section Gitzo-3. There were two considerations driving this choice

a) The 1-series tubes are rather flimsy, so I did not want to give up too much stability. At the same time I did not want to haul a 3-series tripod 2000ft in the vertical direction when I had to
...Show more

Your reasoning is sound, though I never carry a tripod on an aircraft (at least since the 1970s).

I bought similar 2 series Gitzo in both 3 and 4 sections years ago and compared them directly more recently. The 4-section lower leg is thin, but I didn't find any meaningful differences at normal angles. I don't like the 4-section 2 series at the wide spread. 3 and 5 series are more robust of course.

EBH

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:28 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

I agree you should treat this is as your first tripod purchase. How long will it take you to find a 5xxx series?

Cigars are less damaging than cigarettes, but restrict your usage. Check with a surgeon who removes lips & other facial features more info...

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:39 PM
craig_k
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tripod - 3 sections vs. 4

try renting to see if 3/4 works for you.... .https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/support/tripods-monopods/tripod-legs

Oct 21, 2016 at 09:28 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.