New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

TopOfOlympus

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

I have a Nikon D700 and I still haven't found an adapter that doesn't have a cheap glass in it or that focuses properly.
I have a few CZ Contax lenses and would love to use them.

Between M4/3, Fuji X and Sony E, which one has the best selection of adapters that actually work?

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:44 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

Yes, Nikon's flange distance makes it a non-starter for alternative lenses.

Your best bet for taking advantage of the superb Contax Zeiss lenses would be a used full frame Sony A7R with simple C/Y - Sony E adapter.

Oct 20, 2016 at 01:01 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

Something from the Sony A7 series.

IIRC, Canon's FF bodies also work. There may be exceptions requiring mirror shaving, but CY lenses can adapted to Canon with glassless adapters.

Oct 20, 2016 at 01:01 PM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

As the C/Y mount lenses haven't any electronics, all the adapters are of the 'dumb' kind - i.e. purely mechanical. Plenty of models to choose for either of those 3 mounts that you mention, (from $10 cheap Chinese units to the very expensive Novoflex). Being mirrorless with short registry distance, no problem with clearing SLR mirrors or needing to add glass elements inside to achieve infinity.
Which system is better for the Contax glass?. IMHO these magnificent lenses are better suited to a FF camera. Using them on M4/3 or APS-C sensors seems a bit of a waste.

Oct 20, 2016 at 01:05 PM
TopOfOlympus

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

Thanks for the replies!
At this point, getting another FF camera isn't an option for me.

I have narrowed it down to these 3:

Sony a6000
Fuji X-A2
Lumix GX80/85

Oct 20, 2016 at 01:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

TopOfOlympus wrote:
I have a Nikon D700 and I still haven't found an adapter that doesn't have a cheap glass in it or that focuses properly...

Leitax makes a mount kit for C/Y on Nikon FF.

http://www.leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-lens-for-Nikon-cameras.html

I've owned Leitax mounts for at least five lens mounts for my Canon FF bodies, and I fully expect the Nikon mounts to be equally excellent for fit and focus, without glass elements.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:38 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

I shoot almost exclusively with CY-lenses on Sony A7II which means they also get image stabilization. The lenses are meant to be on FF-cameras and I dont see any point getting anything less unless price is to high for an A7.

To repeat, there is no glass whatsoever in adapters for the A7-series. Get a good one like Novoflex if you want to get as much out of the gear with no hazzle.

My road has been Canon 5D2 -> Sony A7 -> Sony A7II, the only constant being Contax lenses.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:43 PM
teh_rebel
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

get A7II + Techart Pro adapter and you can autofocus with them

Oct 20, 2016 at 03:38 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

jcolwell wrote:
Leitax makes a mount kit for C/Y on Nikon FF.

http://www.leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-lens-for-Nikon-cameras.html

I've owned Leitax mounts for at least five lens mounts for my Canon FF bodies, and I fully expect the Nikon mounts to be equally excellent for fit and focus, without glass elements.

Leitax is a fantastic solution, but you are limited to MMJ lenses only and then you still have to try to MF them on the D700's OVF, if I'm not mistaken, without any assist from the camera so far as focus confirmation goes. Or, at least, any accurate confirmation goes.

EVFs do make precise MF easier, so I understand why the OP is leaning that direction. Fortunately, there are great adapters available for all the mirrorless mounts, so it should really come down to camera preference.

Oct 20, 2016 at 04:29 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

Rule out m4/3rds as the extra thick cover glass will take a big toll especially on the faster glass even in the centre. I agree that FF is much better, so get a Sony A7 if you can swing it. You can get one for $800 to $900 used.

Oct 20, 2016 at 08:22 PM
xfile

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

Zeiss is good. And Contax N and 645 lenses are even better since they are full auto. You may need a smart adapter like this to fully use their AF/AE functions on Sony full frame mirrorless bodies. Supported by the smart adapter, Sony's 5-axis IBIS would also be very helpful.

Oct 21, 2016 at 02:16 AM
TopOfOlympus

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

Thank you everyone.
After your advice, I am now thinking of selling my D700 and lenses to switch to a Sony (probably the A7R)
It looks like it is the best option to use my contax lenses.. But I lose my Nikon lenses...

Oct 23, 2016 at 09:57 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

TopOfOlympus wrote:
Thank you everyone.
After your advice, I am now thinking of selling my D700 and lenses to switch to a Sony (probably the A7R)
It looks like it is the best option to use my contax lenses.. But I lose my Nikon lenses...

You'll get over it

I've just moved from Nikon to Sony (except for my birding and sports camera/lenses) after trialing first the A7 and then A7r. I now have the A7Rii too. No regrets at all.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:08 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

TopOfOlympus wrote:
Thank you everyone.

Depending on what Nikon lenses you got, they could be used on the Sony with an adapter. Modern, fully electronic lenses will require a pricey adapter though.

Some info on adapters: http://briansmith.com/gear/sony-lens-adapters/

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:18 AM
TopOfOlympus

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

The only Nikon lens that I will really miss is the AFS 17-35.
I guess I can get Sony lenses for the rest.

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:37 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · best mirrorless body for Contax CY lenses

TopOfOlympus wrote:
The only Nikon lens that I will really miss is the AFS 17-35.
I guess I can get Sony lenses for the rest.

The Sony 16-35/4 is nice too, and there is a rumour about a Sony 16-35/2.8 for E mount to be introduced soon. However, since the Nikon AF-S 17-35/2.8 has an aperture ring, it can be used just like any manual focus lens on Sony A7x cameras.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:03 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.