New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

steve_a_reno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

Let me start my saying I am newbie to DSLR. I was an avid Nikon hobbyist for many years shooting on an N90 with a 300mm f4 ED. Sold most of my gear, took a long, very long break but now am getting back in. I just picked up a d7100 and have a few older AF lenses to learn the ropes but no tele lenses.

I am looking for a budget lens. Best bang for my buck USED at around the sub 100.00 range.
Ken Rockwell gave the The Nikon 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF-D an excellent review aside from slow focus. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/75300.htm Also looked at the newer 70-300mm version and the sigma APO macro but both seemed less impressive.

Eventually I will be getting a Sigma 150-600mm zoom. But don't have the money or the skills to take on that lens yet. Just looking for something to relearn on. Take some nature and sports shots with and learn the ins and outs of the 7100.

Thanks so much for any input.

Oct 20, 2016 at 05:30 PM
jpelt78
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

Is that a typo there where you say sub $100? Not sure there is much in that range that will work well on the newer digitals.

I picked up a 300mm f4 ED AF for a little over $400. That's a pretty sharp lens for not too much money.

I've got the kit 55-300 which is not a bad lens to start with. I think some of the older AF-D zoom lenses will not have enough resolution for the D7100 sensor.

Nikon Nikkor 55-300mm F/4.5-5.6 G ED DX AF-S VR

KEH has them for $228 in excellent + shape with the caps and hood. They usually have a discount code running for 10% off if you watch for it.

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-2197-55-mm-300-mm-f-4-5-5-6-telephoto-zoom-lens-for-nikon-f.html

They also have the 55-200 for $119

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-55-200mm-f-4-5-6-g-ed-dx-af-s-vr-ii-autofocus-lens-for-aps-c-sensor-dslrs-52.html

Good luck with your new digital photography adventure. When I first got my D7100 it was hard for me to get things sharp at first. Eventually discovered how to AF fine tune and that helped a lot.

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:38 PM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

What about the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200MM f/4-5.6G ED VR vs VRII
Is the big difference. I'm on a tight budget right now.

Thanks

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:32 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

The II was reputed to be better. I've not tried the I. I got a II for a steal off CL a few years ago.

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-55-200mm-f-4-5-6-g-ed-dx-af-s-vr-ii-autofocus-lens-for-aps-c-sensor-dslrs-52.html
New (w/caps) is $147

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-55-200mm-f-4-5-6-g-ed-if-dx-af-s-vr-autofocus-lens-for-aps-c-sensor-dslrs-52-nikon-55-200mm-f-4-5-6-g-ed-if-dx-af-s-vr-autofocus-lens-for-aps-c-sensor-dslrs-52.html

EX with case caps and hood is $94

I'd pocket the difference

Good luck with your budget.

steve_a_reno wrote:
What about the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200MM f/4-5.6G ED VR vs VRII
Is the big difference. I'm on a tight budget right now.

Thanks

Oct 20, 2016 at 08:52 PM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

Well I went for the VRII model. Was 119.00 on KEH plus 10% off and free ship. So too close not to get the newer, better model.

Thanks for the advise and links to a good deal.

Oct 20, 2016 at 09:51 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

In case you change your mind, there is the 70-210 f4-5.6 AF D lens.

Oct 23, 2016 at 09:18 PM
myboostedgst
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

Around $100 you should stick with the 55-200 VR. Anything else that cheap I dont care for.

I suggest extending your budget and buying either a used 70-300 VR or especially the Tamron 70-300 VC. You can find them used for between $200-250.

Oct 23, 2016 at 09:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

Well I will be saving for a while to get a lens for birding and wildlife. Leaning toward the Sigma 150-600mm C Used or Refurb probably. But in six months there could be other choices and other lenses falling into my price range - thinking around $800.00.

Thanks again.

Oct 24, 2016 at 05:23 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

steve_a_reno wrote:
Well I will be saving for a while to get a lens for birding and wildlife. Leaning toward the Sigma 150-600mm C Used or Refurb probably. But in six months there could be other choices and other lenses falling into my price range - thinking around $800.00.

Thanks again.

A lot of folks here seem to like the 300mm AFS (cheap on ebay) and that with a 1.4x would be sweet and cheap. Folks with those superzooms don't use the bottom end much.

Edited on Oct 26, 2016 at 10:44 PM · View previous versions

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:27 AM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

I used to have a Nikon 300mm f/4 AF that I used with my N90. Was a bit heavy but a very nice lens.

Oct 25, 2016 at 04:39 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

While I own gold-ring Nikkor zooms, the kit 55-200 is an excellent performer (just a bit of lateral color @ f/4). Versus the VR, the VRII has the collapsible barrel and is a bit lighter. The non-VR is even lighter and actually covers FX perfectly, but VR is really helpful at this FL. I use these lenses on D7100 and D500. The 55-200 and 18-55 are the killer deals from Nikon.

FYI, biiig price drop on a new VRII from B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1111441-REG

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:34 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

The longer the lens the more expensive it is to manufacture and the more expensive it will be to buy. I have lenses that I bought in 1988 for Nikon film cameras that I still use on my digital SLR cameras. Cameras come and go but a good lens will last nearly forever if not abused.

I would sooner put a $500 lens on a $200 camera than the reverse. The lens is what forms the image that will be captured and converted on the sensor. The camera cannot fix a poorly formed image and it is not something you can fix later in Lightroom or some other application.

Forget sports on your budget and get a macro lens for nature photography like one of the 105mm f/2.8 lenses. This lens will also work well for people and landscape and other types of shooting and it will be something you can still be using 10 years from now with whatever camera you happen to own.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:00 PM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Used telephoto zoom lens recomendations

My goal is to shoot birds and animals. So I will need a longer telephoto eventually. I am still learning the camera - d7100 - and the settings that work for various situations. I know the 55-200mm will fall short for my needs. But it is a good lens for general use. I got outstanding results from an old 50mm af nikon lens. Will combine this with some extention tubes for macro work and see what I get. I have a few others I haven't even tried on the camera yet. I should have held onto the 300mm f4.

I hope to have the money saved for a good telephoto by next summer when we go up to the Adrirondaks -we stay on a very secluded private lake. Where we stay there are Beaver, Eagles, lots of birds and even moose are seen on the property. This summer I saw a peregrine falcon swooping to catch fish off the surface of the lake. Was a unique site that would have been a great shot with the right lens and camera and probably a better photographer.

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:05 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password