Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card b...

rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

Just came across this on Kickstarter in case anyone is interested in the rather niche area of backing up memory cards in the field without the need to bring a computer, along the lines of the Nexto devices, etc. that were more popular about 10 years ago...

Flash Porter: Backup and Protect Photos & Video - Fast, Easy

Their campaign runs another week and pledges start at $150. I have no idea if this thing works reliably, etc... One detail that caught my eye is card to device transfer speed is only 35MB/s (sounds like USB2), so those large cards we're all shooting nowadays will take some time to transfer. From a quick browse it looks reasonable for the price...

Looks to be available sometime in December at certain pledge levels, otherwise sometime in March 2017.

What do you guys think?

(I'm still more inclined to bring a low profile laptop like a MacBook Air)

http://ronscheffler.com/samples/fm/flashporter_1.jpg
http://ronscheffler.com/samples/fm/flashporter_2.jpg
http://ronscheffler.com/samples/fm/flashporter_3.jpg
http://ronscheffler.com/samples/fm/flashporter_4.jpg

Oct 20, 2016 at 03:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

I have over 100GB free space on my phone. That'll backup a lot of photos.

Oct 20, 2016 at 03:44 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

Yeah, it's pretty obvious these kinds of devices have become less relevant given other options. Still, this one seems like it has a lot of flexibility...

Oct 20, 2016 at 04:31 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

Wow, 2008 backup speeds. The other two concerns are the battery (perhaps not easily replaced) and the 7mm only drive height.
It might be worth the normal $250 empty price if the Hyperdrive UDMA did not exist, but what is the track record of the Flashporter company for bugs, firmware updates, etc.?

EBH

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:35 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

Definitely valid points about their (lack of) track record and the slow backup speed. The battery is user replaceable.

http://ronscheffler.com/samples/fm/flashporter_5.jpg

I forgot about the Hyperdrive.. looks nicer. But their specs say CF transfer speed is 30MB/s. Is that not the case and actually UDMA 6/7? The Flash Porter supposedly supports full USB3 speed via its USB-C port, I guess for transferring to computer or external drives... Maybe you can connect a regular USB card reader to the USB-C port and get full transfer speeds?

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:29 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

The 2008 Hyperdrive UDMA does 35-36 MB/sec. from CF. I think their storage products went downhill from there.

I seriously doubt that the USB-C port will support OTG at much faster speeds than the internal reader. I suppose we shall see how it performs late this year or early next.

EBH

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:40 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

The last point they should clarify ASAP - USB C.

Rather than carry multiple devices, I am eyeing a phablet as an eventual replacement for my Note 4. A Canon phablet that handles .CR2, runs DPP Mobile and has dual micro USB ports would be welcome.

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:43 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

EB-1 wrote:
The 2008 Hyperdrive UDMA does 35-36 MB/sec. from CF. I think their storage products went downhill from there.

I seriously doubt that the USB-C port will support OTG at much faster speeds than the internal reader. I suppose we shall see how it performs late this year or early next.

EBH

Their Kickstarter says they've redesigned the USB3 for full speed capability. We'll see...

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:43 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

I read it as the SSD/hard drive to USB 3 transfer is fast (assuming it has UASP for SSD speeds).

EBH

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:49 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

Paul Mo wrote:
The last point they should clarify ASAP - USB C.

Rather than carry multiple devices, I am eyeing a phablet as an eventual replacement for my Note 4. A Canon phablet that handles .CR2, runs DPP Mobile and has dual micro USB ports would be welcome.

DPP for the desktop on an O/C 6 core/12 thread CPU is rather slow with the 5DsR RAW file conversions. How well does the DPP mobile app work with only an ARM CPU?

EBH

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

250GB of of transfer per charge.

its main advantage is that it supports pretty much any card format by using the USB2 port and external reader

i'd just leave the built in ports off.

CF is an EOL product to begin with.

Oct 21, 2016 at 02:22 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

EB-1 wrote:
DPP for the desktop on an O/C 6 core/12 thread CPU is rather slow with the 5DsR RAW file conversions. How well does the DPP mobile app work with only an ARM CPU?

EBH

Not sure. But it'd be interesting to see Canon step in.

Oct 21, 2016 at 02:50 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

sjms wrote:
250GB of of transfer per charge.

its main advantage is that it supports pretty much any card format by using the USB2 port and external reader

i'd just leave the built in ports off.

CF is an EOL product to begin with.

It's only 250GB since the transfer rates are so slow and the device is inefficient. The Nexto 2901 from a few years ago achieves 700GB with a battery 2/3 the capacity.

Full UHS-II SD support would be more useful than the USB-C. XQD and CFast are probably out of scope for the product market.

EBH

Oct 21, 2016 at 03:01 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

The USB port is useful for specialized card readers, such as for CFast and XQD.

Oct 21, 2016 at 03:46 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

EB-1 wrote:
It's only 250GB since the transfer rates are so slow and the device is inefficient. The Nexto 2901 from a few years ago achieves 700GB with a battery 2/3 the capacity.

Full UHS-II SD support would be more useful than the USB-C. XQD and CFast are probably out of scope for the product market.

EBH

the 2901 had a screen that was 1.44" square. less power to drive the video more for its real function

Edited on Oct 22, 2016 at 10:20 PM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:30 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

The Hyperdrive display dims after a about a minute to conserve power.
My point is that the drive, board, etc. are powered for a much longer time when the copy rate is slow. It's even more incentive to achieve faster transfers.

The more I read about the Flash Porter, the stranger it is. There is not much info on the company. Maybe if there were as established company with sales and service, I'd be more inclined to consider it.

EBH

Oct 22, 2016 at 07:11 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

If you read through the comments, the guy explains his background somewhat. He used to be at Sony in some sort of product development capacity before he left to start his own company, which I believe was about 10 years ago. That evolved to what you see now on Kickstarter... At least by the sounds of it he's been doing this kind of production for some time.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:57 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

I use a hypersync that I can upgrade the HD to ssd if I want right now it has a 1tb HD but I can put in a larger one if needed plus I can see images on t or my iPad wirelessly

Oct 23, 2016 at 02:06 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

Hyperdrive UDMA series

EBH

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:25 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Flash Porter - new option for computer-less memory card backup

That's the one I have

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:14 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password