FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

Not sure where to start to try to track this down. I shoot with D750 and have my camera bodies set-up to back-up the files so that slot 'B' is a duplicate of slot 'A'. I use SandDisk Extreme Pro 64GB cards. Upon downloading files from our last wedding we discovered that the card in the 'A' slot is missing an entire folder that is present on the 'B' card. There were two folders created on the card in slot 'B' and only one folder created on the card in slot 'A'. On card 'A', the one with the missing folder it has a little over 17GB of data on it. On card 'B' is has a little over 28GB of data on it. Also there are missing files in the one folder in card slot 'A' that are present in the slot 'B'. So it not just missing and entire folder but it's like the camera stopped writing files to the card in slot'A' at one point.

So my question, how do you go about finding out whether or not this is a bad card problem or an issue with this specific camera body and it's ability to write backup data? Just stop using the card that was in slot 'A' for a time to see if the problem develops with other cards?

Yesterday evening we shot an engagement session I used that same body but I used a pair of Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB cards in each slot and everything is fine. Each card just has one folder on it and the same files.

Oct 20, 2016 at 09:06 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

Sounds to me like another random glitch from this often frustrating camera. I have seen so many different stories of things that have gone wrong with 750's. A good friend just messaged me in panic because her 750 randomly at times has switched to only shooting jpg's (rather than raw and jpg), and it did it to her without noticing at the start of a double header weekend....two full weddings shot only on jpg.

As much as I love certain aspects of this camera, I cannot wait to be free from it.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:05 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

joelconner wrote:
Sounds to me like another random glitch from this often frustrating camera. I have seen so many different stories of things that have gone wrong with 750's. A good friend just messaged me in panic because her 750 randomly at times has switched to only shooting jpg's (rather than raw and jpg), and it did it to her without noticing at the start of a double header weekend....two full weddings shot only on jpg.

As much as I love certain aspects of this camera, I cannot wait to be free from it.

Thanks for sharing. I have four of these and so far this is the first weirdness that I have experienced with any of them and hopefully it is the last.

Edited on Oct 20, 2016 at 10:17 AM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:07 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

consider yourself very lucky. I have have such a love/hate relationship with my two 750's. So many weird and random issues that it makes me bang my head against the wall

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:15 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

joelconner wrote:

This seams like a more reasonable thing to have happen than the folder problem described above. It is easy enough to accidentally roll the wheel on the back of the camera while bumping the "Qual" button on the back. I hope it was at least JPEG Fine with low compression though!

Nikon has had such good 24mp FX sensors for years, but still has yet to put them in the right body. D600/610 sensor was magic, but the AF was garbage and the body was uninspiring. D750 has the AF and even more magic in the sensor, but weird stuff like this (and some recalls) make it fall short. They are bound to get it right with the next one though....

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:20 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

BSPhotog wrote:
They are bound to get it right with the next one though....

And charge two arms and two legs for it.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:24 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

joelconner wrote:

I did that the other day and caught myself. Pretty sure your friend went to change the ISO but accidentally changed the QUALITY setting. I don't actually know why that has its own dedicated button, you should have to dig in the menus to change the quality to raw / jpeg etc... What a terrible thing to accidentally change.

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:52 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

Ive had the same thing happen. I double check three times a day now that things are where they should be.

Oct 20, 2016 at 03:15 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

Depth of Feel wrote:
Ive had the same thing happen. I double check three times a day now that things are where they should be.

So you have come to the conclusion that it is the camera and not the cards?

Oct 20, 2016 at 03:17 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

As for the quality on the back I think you can change that out in custom menus. And my record button is my iso much easier than fumbling around back.

MRomine wrote:
So you have come to the conclusion that it is the camera and not the cards?

Try a recovery on the card and see if it exists but is not visible?

Oct 20, 2016 at 04:34 PM
J.Andrew

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

I wonder if this is what happened to my friend. He set the 750 to record jpgs and raw but when downloaded it only has jpgs. The funny thing is the cards were full like raw was recorded.

BSPhotog wrote:
This seams like a more reasonable thing to have happen than the folder problem described above. It is easy enough to accidentally roll the wheel on the back of the camera while bumping the "Qual" button on the back. I hope it was at least JPEG Fine with low compression though!

Nikon has had such good 24mp FX sensors for years, but still has yet to put them in the right body. D600/610 sensor was magic, but the AF was garbage and the body was uninspiring. D750 has the AF and even more magic in the sensor, but weird stuff like
...Show more

Oct 20, 2016 at 04:53 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

yeah, it could have been user error...but a week later, the camera up and died on her. So, it could have been the early death rattle. I have just had so many random issues myself that I am not surprised when I hear something new about the camera messing up.

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:02 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

Depth of Feel wrote:

Yes

Oct 21, 2016 at 09:55 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

MR, I'm still waiting for my d750 to exhibit these "glitches." I have experienced freezes -- stuck on one image when in review mode.

If you're serious about finding out whether or not this is a bad card problem or random...
Test 1 -- swap the cards A<->B and shoot as you usually do.
Test 2 -- mindful formatting
Make sure you format the cards in the same slot (yes, one can have two SD cards, and format each in turn). Shoot a bunch. Download, see if the problem has occurred.
Format the cards in the other slot, then shoot a bunch. Download, see if the problem has occurred.

The problem may be a bad SD card; a bad slot; or another, yet-to-be-recalled issue with the d750.

On a side note, I see similar odd folder disagreements when I reuse d100 cards in my d200...

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:41 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

Tacked the problem down. The card in the top or #1 slot is not saying in the locked position. So the card is not fully making contact with the contacts in the slot. At times it is fully seated then other times it is not.

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:00 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Strange Card Anomaly - Your Thoughts

$465.00 charge to swap out the main circuit board.

Oct 31, 2016 at 09:08 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.