Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

85LII - How well does it clean up in post?

ZachOly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 85LII - How well does it clean up in post?

Thinking about adding a 85L II to the bag. I notice the purple fringing is quite bad on some of the test charts. How well does LR in cleaning this up automatically?

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:21 PM
memoria
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 85LII - How well does it clean up in post?

Depends on what you're shooting. But for portraits (which is the main target for this lens) I've never had any issues.

Oct 20, 2016 at 03:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 85LII - How well does it clean up in post?

memoria wrote:
Depends on what you're shooting. But for portraits (which is the main target for this lens) I've never had any issues.

Same here.

Oct 20, 2016 at 03:39 PM
Sir_Loin
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 85LII - How well does it clean up in post?

memoria wrote:

Likewise!

It only manifests itself wide or near to wide open in high contrast situations including black and white test charts.

Oct 20, 2016 at 05:44 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 85LII - How well does it clean up in post?

ZachOly wrote:
Thinking about adding a 85L II to the bag. I notice the purple fringing is quite bad on some of the test charts. How well does LR in cleaning this up automatically?

With the tool (not the automatic one for lateral chromatic aberration, the one with the picker), you can do a decent job at 100% view.

Backed out to normal viewing levels, web-sized output, and prints, you can almost if not completely eliminate it, with the worst cases suffering some minor artifacts from using the tool in LR (which is going to happen no matter what, since the information in the image isn't there).

It can be annoying, but longitudinal CA and purple fringing are really the least of your worries with this lens . And the output is worth it!

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:03 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 85LII - How well does it clean up in post?

I've had VI and VII never had much of a problem with either. Real world shooting is a little different than shooting charts.

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 85LII - How well does it clean up in post?

Why doesn't Canon make a III with the Blue-ray plastic?

EBH

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:56 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 85LII - How well does it clean up in post?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

They'll probably get around to it; they may tackle focus speed as well, which would be nice (as a complement to their other 135L, 200/2.8L II and 200/2L fast portrait primes that also double as sports/action lenses).

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:39 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 85LII - How well does it clean up in post?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

True but long before then they have a several old lenses that need updating first:

50 f/1.4
300 f/4L IS
45 TS-E
180 f/3.5 Macro

And need to introduce several more EF-S lenses into the line-up.

Oct 21, 2016 at 05:04 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 85LII - How well does it clean up in post?

Wide open, it has quiet noticeable color fringing in the bokeh which is near impossible to clean up. So, technically wise, it won't be perfectly clean. But it has such a signature as a bokeh machine that it doesn't bother me too much.
But yes, a vIII with BR tech would be a dream if others quality are still there. Add a faster and manual (not wired) AF module and I would jump in a heartbeat ...

The main problem with 85 1.2LII is that, as soon as you start using it, other lenses may become boring

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:09 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 85LII - How well does it clean up in post?

The 85L "Cannonball" so you are shooting at F1.2/1.4 right? Typically portraits where only the near eye is in focus. Otherwise, you should use the 85mm F1.8 or a zoom at F2.8. You seldom need/want extreme enlargement of portraits. Tip: If you still have some colored edges after adjusting CA in ACR then "select" them in Photoshop and then use "Hue/Saturation" to minimize CA.

The 85L is a speciality lens which has slow focis for shallow DOF accuracy. The max aperture of F1.2 precludes Landscape quality IQ wide open (although stopped way down it is very good but by then you will have switched to another lens).

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password