Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Capture One and Fuji - terrible CAs? Please advise.

WinterSorbeck

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Capture One and Fuji - terrible CAs? Please advise.

I have rented some Fuji gear to try out. So far I really like it and I found when I use Capture One it gives me images that are both so much sharper than what Lightroom can do AND does not suffer from any watercolour effects or sharpening worms.
However, where C1 falls short are colour fringes. Where Lightroom either autmatically eleminates a fringe or allows me to easily accomplish that with the provided tools, C1 displays horribly broad fringes that are immune to the pruple fringing tool (which makes sense, since a lot of the fringes are green). It does not allow me check the chromatic abberattation box and so I end up with those fringes that render quite some images unusable.

Am I the only one who has that problem? How do you deal with it. Please advise!

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:36 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Capture One and Fuji - terrible CAs? Please advise.

If you are getting Lightroom results that are not sharp and/or which contain the so-called "watercolor effects" and "sharpening worms," you really just need to (make sure you are using the most current updates) and use different settings in Lightroom.

As to your CA issue, it may be that C1 is not respecting the in-camera file modifications from Fujifilm, which include, as I understand it, some automatic optimizations based on lens profiles.

Dan

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:51 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Capture One and Fuji - terrible CAs? Please advise.

I believe that support for the X-Trans III Fujifilm cameras is still in beta for Capture One at the current version (9.3). It doesn't have lossless compression support and they just added more of the lens profile optimizations (distortion) so it's likely not yet implemented. Tickets have been opened with them and C1 support has replied on multiple public forums that the changes needed for XTrans III are quite a bit of work. You can always open a ticket yourself with them and they are pretty good about getting back to people.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:58 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Capture One and Fuji - terrible CAs? Please advise.

I have noticed horrible sharpening worms with LR latest non CC release v6.6.1. Basically I have removed all sharpening except in extreme cases and then only a small amount. Instead I have found a small amount of noise reduction provides much better results with high ISO.

Oct 20, 2016 at 04:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

WinterSorbeck

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Capture One and Fuji - terrible CAs? Please advise.

Thank you for your input. This is most unfortunate since I rented the gear to make a decision now and not based on what C1 might or might not implement in the future. I guess I will have to rent again, open a ticket (thanks for the tip!) or try to make LR work for me.

Dan, and others, if you tell me I have been using LR wrong I would be very happy to receive information on how to use it properly. I have read about Pete Bridgewood's (?) sharpening setting and a couple of thread here and on dpreview and the results just don't cut it for me - especially for fine detail. And when I find them tolerable there is the distinct watercolour effect.

My membership does not allow me to upload images. But you can clearly experience this in LR if you download a raw sample from here (http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/fujifilm_x_t2_photos/).

Let's say the red race car with the big 30 on its door. If you choose sharpening settings that give sufficient sharpening to the driver's glove (already here there worms creeep in only too easily) you can spot the watercolour effect on the colour gradient on his nose or on the left edge of the black thing next to the windscreen where the black frame meets the interior greenish box or very clearly on the metal parts of the steering wheel that have the three holes.

My results in C1 are both sharper and have NONE of the watercolour effect there. If I am doing it wrong it would be great and I would be ever so thankful (no sarcasm) if you could let me know correct LR sharpening settings that do not produce the watercolour effect but are distincly sharper than the unsharpened image. Thank you so much!

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:25 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Capture One and Fuji - terrible CAs? Please advise.

I'm mainly a photoshop user, so I'll have to describe what I do there.

In ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) I typically start with some slight sharpening: amount 15, radius 1.0 (or smaller with highly detailed images), and I use the mask slider to keep the sharpening away from smooth areas of the frame. I may raise clarity to about +12.

A default starting point in Photoshop using a smart smart sharpen layer might be amount of about 125 and radius of about .5.

I've got a moment here, so let's see what I can do with that downloaded RAW file in a few minutes...

... I'm back. You mentioned the driver's glove and his nose. This photo has a secondary issue that is made worse by sharpening, namely that those portions of the image are not optically in best focus — so sharpening is not only trying to increase edge contrast along otherwise sharp edges, but is trying to make a thing sharp that isn't.

That said, when I apply a larger amount (200-300) with a small radius (.4) in Photoshop smart sharpening, I get a good effect on the fabric pattern on the glove. (The driver's nose is beyond hope, since it simply isn't in perfect focus.)

I think that a more realistic test would be to start with a sharp, well-focused image of the kinds of subjects that lend themselves to potential problems — most likely foliage with small leaves and low contrast.

Dan

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:23 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Capture One and Fuji - terrible CAs? Please advise.

I am finding Lr CC latest version is excellent, but you do have to be a lot more careful in sharpening as it does not take much to over do it. This is true for most RAW files

The sharpening in LR CC has changed again I suspect with the latest updates, so Pete Bridgewood's method may not work as before.

If you are after detail (similar to Dan's method in PS), change the radius to the lowest 0.5, and increase the amount until it suits viewing at 100%. I then only adjust the detail marginally to suit. Also I use the masking typically 0 - 10%. I no longer increase the detail slider to max or near as this does not seem to work as well now.

C1Pro 9.3 is excellent but the support for the XT2 is limited to uncompressed RAWs and no lens corrections as Bob has mentioned above. I am sure this will be updated soon.

With respect to the race car/driver the DOF is narrow, so trying sharpen on the glove maybe difficult. I would begin with a sharp image first and test your workflow as Dan as suggested

Oct 20, 2016 at 09:36 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password