Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Fast AF acquisition in 85mm?

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fast AF acquisition in 85mm?

I shoot HS indoor sports in gyms that were apparently built before Edison's brainstorm. Sort of like they're running on whale oil lamps. Basically, it's Av 2.0, Tv 800, ISO 6400. The gyms are all small thus long doesn't work. Also, f/2.8 is just too slow.

I work with the 85mm f/1.8 and the 135mm f/2.0L (by climbing to the top of the bleachers). While the 85mm is good, it's sort of slow at acquisition (at least compared to things like the 70-200 IS f/2.8L II).

Anyone aware of comparisons on speed AF of non-OEM lenses? Actually, I'd kill for something like a 70-100 f/2.0 but I doubt it exists. I know the 85mm f/1.2L is waaay too slow, and a 35mm f/1.4L is waaaay too wide.

Anyone have options or ideas on this?

Robert

Oct 20, 2016 at 04:31 AM

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fast AF acquisition in 85mm?

OntheRez wrote:
Actually, I'd kill for something like a 70-100 f/2.0 but I doubt it exists.
Robert

There is the Sigma 50-100/1.8 that is somewhat workable on FF in precisely that range. To quote Dustin Abbott:

At 50mm there is a solid black ring around the edge of the frame that goes beyond “vignette” (the full frame image circle is not being covered), by about 72mm it becomes a heavy vignette that with some irretrievable areas in the corners – you have to crop (image circle still not covered). But at 85mm the vignette is correctible, and there is just a tiny mark in each extreme corner that remains black…but this you could compensate for in post and it won’t be noticed in many environments. At 100mm there is still a heavy vignette, but one that is
...Show more
http://dustinabbott.net/2016/05/sigma-50-100mm-f1-8-dc-hsm-art-review/

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:13 AM
MintMar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fast AF acquisition in 85mm?

There is Sigma 85/1.4 DG HSM. But I have no idea on AF speed and accuracy.

Oct 20, 2016 at 08:57 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fast AF acquisition in 85mm?

I'm not aware of any faster than the 85 1.8, but the new sigma is very new so it might be. I doubt it though.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:26 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fast AF acquisition in 85mm?

I shoot at 8000-12800 ISO for some indoor sports at f2.8, tv1000. The 1DX and 1DX2 I think are pretty good up to 12800. It just depends on your tolerance for high ISO noise.

It's odd about the 85/1.8 being slow. That lens has a good rep for fast AF. I used both the 85 and 135 for years with my 1D2's which didn't have very good high ISO.

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:38 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fast AF acquisition in 85mm?

ggreene wrote:
I shoot at 8000-12800 ISO for some indoor sports at f2.8, tv1000. The 1DX and 1DX2 I think are pretty good up to 12800. It just depends on your tolerance for high ISO noise.

It's odd about the 85/1.8 being slow. That lens has a good rep for fast AF. I used both the 85 and 135 for years with my 1D2's which didn't have very good high ISO.

Thanks for the suggestions and observations from all of you. I'll look at the Sigmas and see. GG, I've held at 6400 as the images (1) have to be good enough for the newspaper - particularly its online version and (2) I regularly get requests from relatives for prints of their kid(s). In action, I almost always have to crop for a variety of reason including not getting the shot level, extraneous elements that don't focus on the play, and the wildly varying light in the venues. I can remember doing a 4 shot burst of a BK player driving for a layup. Beautiful shot. There were 3 different hues/colors in the burst. Crazy.

Actually, the 85mm f/1.8 is an excellent lens, and I've never understood why it gets knocked by so many. I guess I'm spoiled by the latest/greatest 70-200 which I use in FB and in all daylight sports. Course it's a what, $1800 lens? So, this was just a "is there something as quick as" type of question.

I'll experiment with 12800. Guess I've been at it too long as I started this with a 1DIIn. My mind just can't quite understand living up in no air BTW the 1Dx is an awesome tool. Can't justify the MK II in this small market and my limited capital.

Again, thanks,

Robert

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:49 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.