p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · T&I Suggestions

What would you change?

Washington DC - Team - 8x10 by Section Sports Pix, on Flickr

Oct 20, 2016 at 04:27 AM
John Patrick
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · T&I Suggestions

Edge kids are a bit close to the edge, worried about framing covering up. Of course, the only way to do that is to make the kids smaller, which isn't a good option.

Not sure I understand the "explosion" in the top right. What's it look like without?

Perspective makes the kids on the end look taller than the kids in the center. What if they were ordered tallest (center) to shortest (outside)?

So, really nothing but minor nitpicks.

John

Oct 20, 2016 at 05:10 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · T&I Suggestions

rob4bama wrote:
What would you change?

Well If I were doing work like this, I'd probably change my price list Multiply it by a factor of about 3 I reckon. Then the amount of T&I I did would change then I'd train people up to shoot it for me and edit it then I'd change my car and my house and buy a boat and.....

Oh! In the photo?

What would I change?
Not a goddam thing!

That pic is definitely a credit card dropper for any parent. they are going to look at it and say Fu... goodness me that's a great pic, got to have one of those!"
They aren't going to nitpick details. They are going to look closely at their kid then th overall layout that makes them look like superhero and think it's an awesome pic.

Don't try and perfect it too much and go right on through out the back door. It's an awesome pic as is. Put it in front of the parents and watch them agree with their money.

BTW, You know every Pic you put up, I copy into my " inspirational sports photos & what I want to be able to achieve " Folder don't you?

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:30 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · T&I Suggestions

Everything John said and...

I'm one of this really picky people on comps, so..

It's too square
Shadows are in a word -- poor.
Kids are HOT as compared across the scene
There needs to be a subtle color layer placed on this to add a more even look to the
colors as a whole.

But as I said... I'm very very hard on comps overall. If you're going to sell me on them, they'd better look real.

Now a buying parent? They just may eat these 8 X 10 up.

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:16 AM
innaeddy1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · T&I Suggestions

I would want the short girl on the right and the short girl on the left to be in the center, go from short to tall,

Andy

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:41 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · T&I Suggestions

This looks very good. John, Glort and John are all correct. It can be a big seller and you should be proud of the work. Could it be tweaked, sure, but is it worth the extra time and do the buyers even care? Maybe not.

I usually add some smoke/fog to the bottom of the image to try to sell the look better around the feet better, which are always tough to blend in composites.

The other thing that has been mentioned is that it's really tight, leaving little room for bleed and framing, because these should be framed at some point. What you could do / I do, is if the players are all cutouts, just copy them onto a new, slightly larger/wider background. What I do sometimes is take the purchased background (which is what I am guessing this is) and just resize it to your needs or make it more of a 5x7 size and put the players in the center so when you crop it for 8x10 prints, you'll have plenty of room on the edge.

And as Glort said, I always like to look at what you are producing for ideas.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:53 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · T&I Suggestions

Where'd you get the background?

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rob4bama
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · T&I Suggestions

I appreciate the comments! I don't like the backgrounds that are realistic like stadiums and fields, etc because I don't know how to sell it (make it look realistic). I know its all about shadows and light but I need to work on those things. That's one reason I just use generic, abstract backgrounds mostly. I thought this one was cool though.

That stuff in the air is confetti. I suppose the lights are exploding. Everything is better with explosions, fire, and lightning I guess.

I bought this one though - http://easydigitals.com/glory-dreams-4-pack-photoshop-layered-backdrops/

Thanks for the comments. I'll trying tweeking it a little. The kids are individually cut out.

Oct 20, 2016 at 08:17 PM
glennh56
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · T&I Suggestions

Fix the shadows at the feet and you have a winner

Oct 20, 2016 at 09:23 PM
rob4bama
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · T&I Suggestions

Washington DC - Team - 8x10 by Section Sports Pix, on Flickr

How about these shadows? To be honest, anything past this isn't worth the work vs. what the parents paid. Not to sound bad.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:24 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · T&I Suggestions

Shadows much better. Hardest thing to mimic from a cutout is contact shadow. So many things that have to be done correctly out of camera in order to paint in plausible contact shadow and you're right... it doesn't become the best bang for buck when time is involved. Overall, I find it pretty close to being finished. What kind of bothers me a bit is the overall balance. The logo is forcing the team to occupy the lower third of the frame and for me, that throws off my attention just a bit. I don't know whether the point of interest is the logo or the team.

We need to find a better spot for the short kids. Our eyes want to naturally see the heads cascade smoothly into the V and those two kids are disrupting the flow. I would play with it.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of fire explosions, shredded glass shrapnel and all that other stuff flying all over the place. It's so overused in T&I composites. Smoke and fog... used sparingly. But, I know the kids like it, so meh... to each its own.

Once again though, I have to comment on glort's assumption that parents are going to open up their wallets automatically when they see this. Good luck. Doesn't matter anymore... everything is a grind. I would never do this until I get a full team paid in front commitment. To try and sell it on spec... like I said... it's a grind. Or at the least... hit or miss. Hit and it's worth your time. Miss... and well, you're out of luck. But one thing for sure... it's never a sure thing. It's always a risk doing this on spec. It's all about marketing. Have samples in advance... let them see it, love it. Show the love by paying right then and there and then make the photo after.

I realize that location varies, and some areas are more saturated than others, but something like this here... nothing special. Everyone is making these around here.

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:50 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · T&I Suggestions

You did a great job on those shadows period..

If I'm asked -- those hot kids are just killing it for me as I don't see a source of light that could/would equate to that much exposure on them.

There is also a technique used in comps to throw some kind of overall color cast onto the image to allow a more blended and harmonious look to the finished piece. And although there is an aspect to this piece I DO like very much, I feel it's in need of that effect. Now whether it's at 10% opacity? 5%? I can't say without actually doing it.

Matt Kloskowski of the former NAPP did a really good book on comps that I need to refer to now and again to see how/why I should tweak. I'll list it here. Well worth the dosh if you're doing ca$h comps.

Amazon link for Matt Kloskowski's book
http://tinyurl.com/zpm8a7y

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:36 PM
clindsey
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · T&I Suggestions

I agree with all the critiques here and the parents will love this…shadows on the feet look much better too.

To me the image is unbalanced and highlights the logo more than the players. The perspective of the players looks like they were photographed from chest height or higher and they don’t match the backgrounds perspective. The players on the ends look like giants with the positioning on the field, they should be about half the size they are now.
I would add more foreground and push the players up and put logo behind them so it more balanced and blends more into the design.

Yes, blending lighting and shadows adds a more realistic look to the composite and can be achieved with a simple dodge and burn, but don’t forget about perspective too. Matching the camera angle and horizon on the day of the shoot is a big part of selling the illusion.

There is a ton of stuff to learn with composites, I’ve been doing them for years and still learn new elements all the time. It’s time consuming so be mindful of the amount of time you put into them because they can start to be cost prohibitive if you aren’t charging enough. I have now limited my leagues to a max of 3 teams for “full” composite images and they pay a premium for the service.

Here is one I did for my daughters team last year - stock background with grass added (it was a football field) and players on top..finished with lighting, shadows, logo, etc. on bottom

Oct 23, 2016 at 04:36 PM
rob4bama
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · T&I Suggestions

I really appreciate the comments! The parents have already paid and this is their 8x10 team picture. It's about $12, so I'm pretty much done with it. I can't fool with it anymore. Not worth it. This is pretty extreme but is this sorta like the color balancing that some of you were talking about? It's very blue but just an extreme example.

Washington DC - Team - 8x10 - blue by Section Sports Pix, on Flickr

Oct 24, 2016 at 03:03 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password