Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2016 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photograph...

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

What, no why has this industry become so filled with fake sacchariny sweet photographers who love everyone and everything. They love marriage, they love each other, they invest in the marriages of others through ongoing encouragement and timeless photography. Is this what the industry has become, "It takes TIME to develop a following + to gain loyal fans, supporters, + clients." Fans and a following, really? This stuff makes me want to vomit.

Why, why, why?

Edited on Oct 19, 2016 at 11:01 AM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2016 at 09:35 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

I love this thread.

Oct 19, 2016 at 09:53 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

LeeSimms wrote:
I love this thread.

Com'on we need some hate!

Oct 19, 2016 at 09:58 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

"There aren't enough words" or "words can't even", aka I'm to lazy and uncreative to actually write a caption for this Facebook post.

Bonus point if you say you cried during the ceremony or while you were editing.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:03 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

this was the most amazing couple ever...

again.

heiko

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:34 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

Seriously. A rash of poor writing on 'the industry's part allows for an opening. Write more compelling blog posts and site copy. If you can't fake it, then hire out.

Note — the Jasmine Star Method is not recommended.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:45 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

ZachOly wrote:
"There aren't enough words" or "words can't even", aka I'm to lazy and uncreative to actually write a caption for this Facebook post.

After editing a couple hundred weddings ...nothing.... nada as far as tears.... the real kind.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:57 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

MRomine wrote:
What, no why has this industry become so filled with fake sacchariny sweet photographers who love everyone and everything. They love marriage, they love each other, they invest in the marriages of others though ongoing encouragement and timeless photography. Is this what the industry has become, "It takes TIME to develop a following + to gain loyal fans, supporters, + clients." Fans and a following, really? This stuff makes me want to vomit.

Why, why, why?

Now If I had said this, I'd be shot down as being the biggest bastard alive... again.

And of course I fully agree.

It's the major reason why I could never really do the FB/ blog thing if I wanted to.
The gushing and butt licking that goes on just makes me want to chunder my toe nails up.
I can lay on the BS and the glossy sales pitch but there is a definite limit and the stuff I see on FB and Blogs is just way past it. To me it's an insult to my intelligence for people to go on this way and think I will be taken in by it.

I know I'm a bastard but I look at a lot of this stuff and just sit in wonder of what sort of person can write it, and more over, what sort of soft of heart and head pussys would fall for it and it would appeal to. No one I want to work with i'm sure.

I have to say though, it's not just this industry, I think it's a symptom of the leftist do gooder PC mentality infecting the world now.

Late last week my wife had a complaint from a customer she was speaking to that she was being rude. Customer asked to speak to my wifes boss. Boss told customer, she wasn't being rude, nothing wrong with her telling you that. Customer still wasn't satisfied and contacted the GM.
Gm said I think if that's what she said to you she handled herself well and did nothing wrong. Customer asked well do you agree with your staff talking to customers like that do you?
GM said yes, she was polite and professional as we expect. Customer was still not happy.

He then came down and saw my wife told her what had been said and asked if this is what she said to the Customer? My wife said yes, that is what I said to her. GM says well better you talk to her than than me because I would have told her to bugger off and stop wasting my time!

I'm really thrown off by all the sickly sweet BS. I went looking at houses last weekend and copped it from 2 of the salesmen at different places. They were overdosed on what ( sorry) seems to me to be the American style over polite and positive happy rainbows and unicorns BS.:

" Where do you live?" In the most shiphole suburb in the city. " oohh, thats wonderful!"
" And what do you do for a living" Sit on my fat wide arse. "Wow! that's sooo exciting, how awesome". If you don't stop with the false platitudes, I'm going to knock your teeth down your throat! " Certainly Sir, if you'll just excuse me for one second I'll just go and bleach my teeth again and rinse with mouthwash so everything is as nice and presentable as possible for you and I'll be right back so you can punch away"
UGGGHH!

I find this as well when I have to ring big businesses that have call centres. OMG, stop with the foot thick sugar coating already, I'm going to hurl if I hear one more false platitude and over polite gratuity.

Its also a popular social media inspired thing. Seems to me in most places (YT being a definite exception) sickly sweet, overly caring, sensitive, sympathetic and pathetic seems to be the required norm.
WTF do these people get fed at lunch time, Rainbows, sunshine and fairy dust?

Time to give these pussys a Tablespoon of concrete let them harden the fluck up!

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

One can only do so much swooning.......Blah! !

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:34 AM
jah2266
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

ZachOly wrote:

I have cried editing a wedding before, just not tears of joy.....

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:48 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

Where this all started, I got an e-mail advertisement this morning from the people at Shoot n' Share. You know, photographers selling themselves to other photographers and how to be successful. It opens with that quote above and a photo of a young hipster couple offering to help you be successful by branding yourself like them. Do other photographers really buy into this stuff? It's amazing, in the true sense of that much over used word. They (the couple I'm referencing) have been in the industry all of three years and they have the secret(s) to success.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:46 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

LeeSimms wrote

Note — the Jasmine Star Method is not recommended.

Is J splat still around? She should have been hounded out of the industry long ago for her unethical business practices.

When you read some of the web sites and blogs, you'd think you were at a junior high slumber party.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:49 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

What this industry has become... is the reason I probably won't be returning to it.

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:09 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

dmacmillan wrote:
Is J splat still around? She should have been hounded out of the industry long ago for her unethical business practices.

When you read some of the web sites and blogs, you'd think you were at a junior high slumber party.

She must have a $5000/month marketing budget. I swear I see an ad for her stuff every time I go through my FB timeline.

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:28 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

This is the greatest thread of the day.

Edited on Mar 16, 2020 at 06:55 AM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:34 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

MRomine wrote:
They love marriage, they love each other, they invest in the marriages of others through ongoing encouragement and timeless photography. Is this what the industry has become, "It takes TIME to develop a following + to gain loyal fans, supporters, + clients."

With all due respect, those sound like pretty good traits and would be appealing to most clients.

I'm a cynic when it comes to these things too, but it seems pretty easy to see why a potential client would gravitate towards someone that is super-positive, right?

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:45 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

rstoddard11 wrote:
"This new way to tie your shoes is going to CHANGE YOUR LIFE! Click on this link where I make ad money so you can see! I have divided it into 7 pages so I make 7 times the money!"

Interestingly enough, most people tie their shoes "wrong". I saw this TED talk about it, I actually found it pretty amusing (3 minutes and free).

http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_how_to_tie_your_shoes?language=en

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:46 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

Life changed

Oct 19, 2016 at 02:02 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

formula4speed wrote:
Interestingly enough, most people tie their shoes "wrong". I saw this TED talk about it, I actually found it pretty amusing (3 minutes and free).

http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_how_to_tie_your_shoes?language=en

I have been doing this from when I tied my first shoe... You look like a retard if you tie your shoes like the first example.

Oct 19, 2016 at 02:33 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rant - What's Wrong w/this Industry and it's sacchariny sweet photographers?

I love doughnuts. Photographing weddings provides me money to pay for doughnuts. Therefore, I love photographing weddings.

In all seriousness, I agree with the overall feeling of cynicism here, but the reality is that this is what the majority of clients want to hear. It's up to you to decide where you fall on the vomit/profit spectrum.

One of my good friends, who is a huge complainer and cynic in real life gushes like a 15 year-old school girl on his social media accounts. He has over 30,000 followers on Instagram, and books the majority of his 45+ ($5k minimum, $7k average) weddings through social media. I'm not about to argue against that technique.

Oct 19, 2016 at 02:53 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.