Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Sony 20mm F2.8 vs Sigma 19mm F2.8?

dills84
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony 20mm F2.8 vs Sigma 19mm F2.8?

I'm looking at picking up one of these lenses as a "walk around" I like the 28-30mm focal range.

The sony is appealing due to it's tiny size. It would make a great hiking and outdoor activity type camera on my A6300.

The Sigma's IQ appears to be better, but the AF seems worse and it's a bit larger.

Can anyone comment on these two? I'm torn on which one to go with. Is there a notable difference in IQ and bokeh?

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2016 at 09:09 AM
matthewm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony 20mm F2.8 vs Sigma 19mm F2.8?

I've never tried the Sigma 19, but of the "trinity" offered by Sigma (19, 30, 60), it receives the lowest marks. That's not to say it's a bad lens, but as compared with it's two brothers, it seems to do worse in terms of user feedback.

That being said, I used the 20 for a short time and while remarkably small and light (especially if you forego the lens hood which essentially doubles the length of the lens give or take a few millimeters), I found that it had terrible distortion. It was easily fixed in post or if shooting JPEGS, the camera fixes it for you, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the lens, regardless of size.

There's not really another option outside of the Sigma 19 and Sony 20 so I'd say if size is your utmost concern, just go with the Sony as they're likely fairly similar in terms of IQ. And at least with the Sony you have the option to add on the Wide Angle or Fisheye Adapters which fairly significantly enhances the utility of the lens (while affecting the IQ slightly).

Oct 19, 2016 at 02:15 PM
melviny
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony 20mm F2.8 vs Sigma 19mm F2.8?

I had two of the Sigma 19's but each one stopped autofocusing after slight drops (1 - 1 1/2 feet onto hardwood floors). I purchased the Sony 20mm since i was frustrated at quality and longevity of the Sigmas.

The Sigma is very sharp and rated slightly higher than the Sony but I never noticed the difference. Although the Sony is still pretty plasticky (as is the Sigma) it focuses faster and doesn't feel quite as flimsy as the Sigma. Probably the biggest benefit is the compact size and solid feel.

As an fyi, I have and still use the Sigma 30mm and 60mm e-mount lenses but I also have the Sony 16mm, 20mm, 35mm and 55-210 lenses. Without a doubt, the Sony lenses feel better built.

Good luck with the decision.

Oct 19, 2016 at 09:00 PM
bacilonur
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony 20mm F2.8 vs Sigma 19mm F2.8?

I've abused my Sigma 19 mounted on my helmet for wingsuiting and speedflying all sorts of other things and it still works perfectly

http://i.imgur.com/wMHlUxq.jpg

Oct 20, 2016 at 01:51 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.