I need a 77mm to be used with a 24mm prime on FF
Do you think I will need a slim filter?

Thanks

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:24 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · slim filter or not?

highly unlikely. but then all my filters are standardized and tend to be "slim".

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:41 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · slim filter or not?

Thx mate

sjms wrote:
highly unlikely. but then all my filters are standardized and tend to be "slim".

Oct 19, 2016 at 03:48 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · slim filter or not?

I use a 24mm 1.4 Art and it has a regular ol' fattie on there - no vignetting. But given the choice - a question of economics and availability - I usually prefer slims, but don't worry too much about it.

Oct 19, 2016 at 03:49 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · slim filter or not?

My "slim" 77mm B+W Kaesserman PL is a pain to remove once attached. The ring to rotate for screwing on and off is hard to grip and apply force to. Doubly true when I have the PL in front of my ND.

Oct 19, 2016 at 04:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · slim filter or not?

that's one of the reasons I use the breakthrough filters. another is the the well shown color neutrality in their CPL and ND filters.

NIKON D7200    150.0 mm f/2.8 lens    150mm    25s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Oct 19, 2016 at 06:54 PM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2016 at 05:36 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · slim filter or not?

I want to add that I don't over-tighten when I attach the PL filter to my lens (or ND filter). However, when I rotate the polarizing element, I will also inadvertently move the attachment ring just enough to make removing the whole filter just a pain in the rear. Filter wrenches don't help because it is hard to get a grip on the narrow attachment ring.

And, yes, I did try to rotate the polarizing element counter clockwise, but that led to the whole filter coming off the lens. And, no, I am not fat-fingered or particularly clumsy. (Just grumpy today thinking about the frustrating times I spent at beautiful shooting locales cursing my PL filter.)

Oct 19, 2016 at 05:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · slim filter or not?

Depends on the brand/design you're looking at. I had a B+W slim and wouldn't touch one again: lack of outer threads meant I couldn't use a standard lens cap, and the filter was hard to hold and turn, as Lara mentions. OTOH, my Hoya slim filters are fine. As mentioned above, I've heard that Breakthrough slims are also good (but I haven't tried one).

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:29 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · slim filter or not?

I have never needed one. The regular ones seem to hold up better

Oct 19, 2016 at 07:18 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · slim filter or not?

24mm is not so wide that you need slim but thats not the only variable. Do you ever plan to use the CPL with a ND or other filter?
If so then you want to go slim.

Oct 19, 2016 at 08:40 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · slim filter or not?

By the way I have the marumi super DHG slims and I love them. I normally can get them off without trouble.

Oct 19, 2016 at 08:41 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · slim filter or not?

Abbott Schindl wrote:
Depends on the brand/design you're looking at. I had a B+W slim and wouldn't touch one again: lack of outer threads meant I couldn't use a standard lens cap, and the filter was hard to hold and turn, as Lara mentions. OTOH, my Hoya slim filters are fine. As mentioned above, I've heard that Breakthrough slims are also good (but I haven't tried one).

That must have been a very old filter. BW has had slim polarizing filters with threads for a decade or more. That's not to say that there are not other reasons to avoid the BW polarizers.

EBH

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:13 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · slim filter or not?

EB-1 wrote:
That must have been a very old filter. BW has had slim polarizing filters with threads for a decade or more. That's not to say that there are not other reasons to avoid the BW polarizers.

EBH

I think this was what Schind meant:

There's a thread to attach the filter to the lens. But (77mm B+W Slim KSM PL filter) does not have threads on the front (far from the camera) side to attach another filter, or the lens cap.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:19 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password