Timkr wrote:
Which Feisol do you have? I believe the 3442 is 19" closed

I have the Feisol CT-3441T

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:24 AM
Timkr
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

Well, received my feisol 3442. It is nice but it is not an RRS. It will be a great travel tripod but I have the feeling sometime in the future I'll be back looking at a RRS.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:35 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

Timkr wrote:
Well, received my feisol 3442. It is nice but it is not an RRS. It will be a great travel tripod but I have the feeling sometime in the future I'll be back looking at a RRS.

Why do you say that? What about the Feisol is making you long to spend big bucks for an RRS tripod? Has the Feisol let you down, prevented you from getting a photo?

Oct 29, 2016 at 01:32 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

chez wrote:
Why do you say that? What about the Feisol is making you long to spend big bucks for an RRS tripod? Has the Feisol let you down, prevented you from getting a photo?

Also curious...

Oct 29, 2016 at 09:53 PM
Timkr
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

Not yet

Oct 30, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

After trying out a RRS and three Gitzo and a Sirui and an Induro and a couple of Oben tripods and I settled on the Feisol CT-3472. I get a true 70 inch height without a center column and the most stable tripod I have tried and it weighs only 4 lbs. and collapses down to 22 inches. I have two Gitzo tripods and a couple Manfrotto and two from Oben and since I bought the Feisol the rest are not used at all. The Feisol is short enough to fit inside a suitcase for air travel and tall enough for photographing birds up in trees or mammals high up on a hillside and it is stiff enough to support a 60mm f/4 lens with ease.

Gitzo design engineering and quality control leaves a great deal to be desired. I can't trust my Gitzo to hold up in the field so they never go with me on a trip. RRS has too much torsional flex which is the result of their having too small a top mount area. This may make for a more compact tripod but I notice the flexing even with a 500mm f/4 lens and a 600mm f/4 is a no go all the way.

The Feisol is the only one of my photography tripods that works with zero problems for shooting video. The Gitzo 2531LVL is great with light lenses and a small camcorder but is limited for general use.

Nov 02, 2016 at 12:09 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

torsional flex, really? funny I don't notice that on my TVC24. the structure is quite rigid in use. I use it with theSigma 120-300/2.8 sport along with the 1.4TC (8lbs of lens alone and within 0.5lbs of the 500/4) and a Sidekick on their leveling base. but the TVC33 is preferred for the 500 and is closer to the CT3472 that is pretty easily measurable too. these days I use the 24 and 14 the most. I used to use the early Feisol legets.

I really feel you tend to overstate/stretch thing just a wee bit.

Edited on Nov 03, 2016 at 01:01 AM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2016 at 12:59 AM
la puffin
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

elkhornsun wrote:
Gitzo design engineering and quality control leaves a great deal to be desired. I can't trust my Gitzo to hold up in the field so they never go with me on a trip.

The only negative comments on Gitzos are the price. Could you elaborate on what you mean about their design and QC?

Nov 02, 2016 at 03:13 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

My Feisol 3442 has gone the mile with me...all over the globe, up the mountains and into the canyons. Never has it let me down.

Agree 100%. Feisol are well made and extraordinary light. You can pay much more for a Gitzo or a RRS, but I don't think there is any real world benefit, apart from bragging rights.

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

if it makes you feel better. but then I had Feisol long before most heard of them (shipped from Taiwan direct). it is a reasonably priced but in the long run it under my usage doesn't have the overall longevity I prefer. so I pay to play. no bragging just haven't needed to look for some time. you see its a tool for work. business.

the only brags I have is that I haven't needed to look for another brand for years to replace it and the excellent support is there but I haven't needed to use it. of course if you don't need the longevity or higher durability the Feisol will do the job.

Nov 04, 2016 at 09:37 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password