New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

Timkr
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

I am looking for opinions pro and con for these two tripods. I am looking for a medium travel tripod and have narrowed it down to these two. Feisol is quite a bit cheaper but have seen some positive reviews. I am wondering about durability of the Feisol. I know RRS is one of the best you can buy but, it is a little shorter extended and a bit heavier. I am 5'7" so, not sure its even an issue. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:15 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

Timkr wrote:
I am looking for opinions pro and con for these two tripods. I am looking for a medium travel tripod and have narrowed it down to these two. Feisol is quite a bit cheaper but have seen some positive reviews. I am wondering about durability of the Feisol. I know RRS is one of the best you can buy but, it is a little shorter extended and a bit heavier. I am 5'7" so, not sure its even an issue. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks

I own the Feisol and it is beefy. I have used it for atleast 5 years without a hitch. ~ Jim

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

ditto re: Feisol. I have the Tourny 3442 for several years w/ little complaint.

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:46 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

I have a 3441T, same legs as the 3442, but a smaller more travel friendly spider. The tripods you're comparing are in a different class. The RRS TQC-14 is more comparable to the 3442, or a Gitzo 2-series. The TVC-24 is more comparable to a 3-series Gitzo, and there isn't really a Feisol equivalent.

The Feisol has been plenty durable on my travels. I carry it in either the supplied case, or strapped to the side of my backpack. I've carried my Gitzo as well, but with its commensurately larger ballhead, it is noticeably heavier than the Feisol with a smaller ballhead. I've only ever felt the need for the Gitzo in very windy conditions, or if I'm mounting an off-balance camera-lens combo on a pano head.

Oct 19, 2016 at 04:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

it is simple, if you buy a RRS tripod you generally stop looking at the rest. I have the 14 for air travel (used a lot), the 24 for general use. lastly the 33 for the big stuff. it has been a few years with these. I got one of the original batch of the 33.

got the 24 used with pretty much all the tinker toys with it. CP and level base.

Gitzo keeps on changing its stripes.
Feisol is the price leader for what it is.

owned both before the RRS. nothing has peaked my interest since.

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:48 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

The RRS TVC-24 is my travel tripod, mated with a KPS T5 geared ball head. I'm only 5"6". TVC33 gets most the work.

Love the quality of the tripod.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:54 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

I used Gitzo for quite a while, and they work fine, but had some issues with them with legs coming loose from the metal socket. Not fun when you are on a trip. They also had issues with the top plates coming loose, which never got me. I got a Really Right Stuff TVC-33 soon after they came out, and have never bought a different brand of tripod since then. Now have a RRS 14 for light things, and a RRS 45 for heavy stuff, and still use the 33 for my main sticks. Likely will eventually get a 24, and then get rid of some of my Gitzo Series 3. The cost of Really Right Stuff items is a bit high, and a lot more than Feisol. The RRS things are very good, and I recommend them often to others, but beyond that I can not say if the Feisol is good value or not.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:03 AM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

I have had multiple Feisol tripods for use with Sony A7rII all the way up to an 8x10 field camera. They re excellent tripods and a good value for a CF tripod. I have not used a RRS tripod but I have used my Feisol next to someone else with a RRS travel tripod (14). Like a Yugo next to a Mercedes. Not a complaint against Feisol but the RRS is truly really right stuff.

I just wish RRS had a lightweight travel tripod that was slightly shorter. The 14 does not fit in a carry-on spinner (just based on my arithmetic, not experience). It will fit fine in checked luggage but not easily in harassed carry on luggage. For that, I have a 5 section Sirui tripod which is great for travel but not as solid as the slightly larger Feisol and RRS.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:35 AM
Timkr
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I am going to give the Feisol a try, will return it if it doesn't impress and go for the rrs. Thanks again

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

jharter wrote:
I have had multiple Feisol tripods for use with Sony A7rII all the way up to an 8x10 field camera. They re excellent tripods and a good value for a CF tripod. I have not used a RRS tripod but I have used my Feisol next to someone else with a RRS travel tripod (14). Like a Yugo next to a Mercedes. Not a complaint against Feisol but the RRS is truly really right stuff.

I just wish RRS had a lightweight travel tripod that was slightly shorter. The 14 does not fit in a carry-on spinner (just based on
...Show more

sits right on the side of my Ajna. and if I really want to I spin off the BH30 and it drops into my carry on roller.

X20    11mm    f/4.5    1/15s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jharter
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

Will the RRS fit in a hard-side spinner? The Ajna is max for a carry on and maybe a hair too big for some airlines if they are picky.

I have a Sirui 5-section tripod that fits in a Gura Gear Kuboka backpack but my Feisol won't fit.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:08 PM
Timkr
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

Which Feisol do you have? I believe the 3442 is 19" closed

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

jharter wrote:
Will the RRS fit in a hard-side spinner? The Ajna is max for a carry on and maybe a hair too big for some airlines if they are picky.

I have a Sirui 5-section tripod that fits in a Gura Gear Kuboka backpack but my Feisol won't fit.

sorry the picture is the 14 in my supposed legal rolling carry on.

what I meant about the Ajna is that it fits nicely up the outside side. the Ajna has so much compression it can get quite compact. its always been a carry on for me where ever I've gone.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:25 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

Thanks for the info. I have been trying to talk myself into a RRS 14 for a few years now!

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

yeah, I held off for a bit too. but, when I finally broke down I asked myself why?

for the past 3 years its been with me most of the time and I have the other two.

like the rest of their line its designed on structure not "tricks"

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:34 PM
Timkr
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

I am curious about what you mean by 'tricks'?

Oct 22, 2016 at 01:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

- never been a fan of the 180 leg flip setup. I don't want to choose my ball head based on the folded tripod legs. I can just as easily thread it off if I really need to.
- 4 sections are more then enough
- center posts that extend like legs in multiple sections. and I do use the CP on the 14

little things like that

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:04 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

My Feisol 3442 has gone the mile with me...all over the globe, up the mountains and into the canyons. Never has it let me down. I can't see what a tripod costing twice as much will deliver that my Feisol has not. There are definitely deminishing returns when it come to tripods because at the end of the day it is the photos that count...not the fancy, expensive tripods.

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

at the end of the day it is the photos that count

absolutely! like you I travel the world for my work. I just choose to take my reliability/liability up a notch or two. I have previously owned the Feisol product. it is a good product and well placed in the marketplace. "expensive" is a word that is relative. remember the devil is in the details.

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:41 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Feisol 3442 vs RRS TVC 24

These are some interesting discussions on the Feisol CT3442.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3376464

(be sure and read Astrogony's 6-01-15 update)

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4057165#forum-post-58408194

(note StephaneB's comments)

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:15 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password