Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

retrofocus
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

Seems that many photography enthusiasts use at least two camera brands these days (not including cellphone/iPad camera usage here which has become a general standard). Looking at my circle of photography friends, there is also a slight trend to go back to film in parallel to the digital workflow (two of them just bought Nikon rangefinder and twin lens medium format cameras). I am curious - which camera brands do you currently actually use in parallel and why?

I will start....

50% Sony A7R: has become my main digital camera for most situations. Big advantage that I can use all kind of lens brands with this camera well but predominantly use it with M lenses. The TSE lenses also perform excellent with this body. I also use it to digitize my 35 mm negatives.

30% Leica M6 and M7 cameras: currently use my M6 with B&W film, and the M7 for color film. The monochrome mode in the A7R is very good but can't beat the B&W film if developed well in my opinion. Often I shoot film and digital in parallel using M6 or M7/A7R.

15% Canon 5D MkII converted to infrared with 715 nm cutoff filter: The L lenses are mostly outstanding performers in infrared light, and the 24 MP FF sensor is nearly perfect for this kind of photography. Meanwhile this is what I mainly use my existing L lenses for. The only issue is the bulk of this camera/lens gear (more obvious after I switched to mirrorless/rangefinder gear).

5% Canon 5D MkII (regular camera body): kept this body for situation where I need to rely on decent AF or for flash photography with Canon speedlites. I also use this body sometimes for sophisticated macro/microscopy shooting. I don't intend to vest in another DSLR type camera, so I decided to keep this body also as backup in the future especially since I still keep my L lenses for infrared shooting.

Edited on Oct 19, 2016 at 12:14 PM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:09 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

I'm 100% Leica. Sold all my Canon gear about almost a year ago.

Leica M Monochrom
Leica M-E
Leica M 262

Leica 35mm 1.4 Summilux ASPH FLE
Leica 24mm 2.8 Elmarit ASPH
Leica 75mm 2.5 Summarit
Leica 65mm 3.5 Elmar Leitz Canada. bellows and focus chimney.

Rangefinders because they best fit the way I see and work.

Also if I still had a darkroom I would probably be shooting film in some capacity. I really do like the B&W output from the MM. It is the only digital B&W I have warmed up to.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:14 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

70% Sony
20% 120 Film
10% 35mm Film

I love using old lenses from the film era and the e-mount made that so easy. Sony also opens up technologies like AF on those old gems.

Edited on Oct 20, 2016 at 01:29 AM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:54 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

Winter time:
50% Sony A7II
40% Fujifilm X-E2
10% Fujifilm X100

Summer time:
50% Nikon V1
25% Fujifilm X100
25% Fujifilm X-E2

Trips and vacations:
50% Nikon V1
50% Fujifilm X100

Edited on Oct 19, 2016 at 07:07 PM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2016 at 07:06 PM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

75% Sony (A7r and A6000) - Why: I added a used A7r to my Canon 5D2 2 years ago and was blown way by the image quality and i've also learned to love EVF's. I've stuck with A7r due to price increases on later models, A7r produces the best files of any camera in the sub 1000 range right now. Added A6000 for family/small carry kit

15% Fuji X-70 bought a used but unopened! copy for fun on family trips etc. Had it a couple of months and it's fulfilling the brief for fun/family/take anywhere camera

8% Canon 7D1 for airshows but haven't attended many this year

2% Fuji X-A1 converted for infrared, haven't done much IR this year.

Oct 19, 2016 at 07:06 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

For me, it's cyclical with regard to any sort of %'s. I am shooting a lot of film lately for personal work though (Over 50 rolls last month). For professional work, it's always digital.

Film - 90% Pentax 67 but I will be using my old Rolleicord a lot more soon because I really love the square as well as the simplicity of the TLR Rolleicord (not to mention the light weight carry - and the left to right reversal of the projected image not only forces me to think more about composition but also jives with my latent dyslexia).

Digital - Sony A7r, mostly for studio work. I can't dismiss my smartphone use though as I use it much, much more than just for casual/ general use. In combination with Google Photo's, I can quickly inventory permanent collection artwork at a Museum I work at part time these days. I also document incoming exhibits this way to accompany condition reports as well as document how things are crated/ packaged. It is one of my main tools.

Oct 19, 2016 at 07:29 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

Sony A7rII - about 70% of the time.
Sony A7s - about 30% of the time.

I shoot the A7r II when I shoot outside and unless it is really low light. I still prefer the A7s for really low light and when I want a little lighter camera. The 12mp is very often enough, but when it is not I am very happy to have the 42mp.

I expect all this will change in the new year when I hope to have the Hassy X1D I ordered. I plan to use that for most portraits, landscapes, and macros, but I will still use the Sony when I want a lighter kit and for shooting wildlife from time to time.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:10 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

I used film almost exclusively till last year - mostly 4x5 and 617, plus 6x8 on occasion. That changed when the 5DSR came out, which I ordered with the thought that it might be good enough that I could get away from doing large format film.

I made the switch after a month of testing, and got a batch of lenses for it (mostly Zeiss ZE mount), having sold all of the film equipment to finance the changeover. A few months later, the Sony A7RII came along, and since I always want a second body as a backup, I decided to get one that could do different things (and use my Canon mount lenses via Metabones IV) rather than buy a second 5DSR.

Little did I know that I'd soon come to prefer the Sony greatly, and it's now my primary camera, with the 5DSR sitting in the closet as a backup. I can't see ever going to a DSLR again...I love mirrorless, EVF, and the other niceties of the Sony.

A few months ago, I added an A7R, converted to infrared. I'm gradually picking up E-mount lenses (Zeiss and Voigtlander); I only buy fully manual lenses since I detest AF and don't use it. Switching lenses with half of them being adapted is a pain, and I can see the day coming when I'll have most of them changed to E-mount, other than the few that I'd never part with (55/85 Otus, 135/2 Apo, etc). But I see a Loxia 21 in the near future to replace the 21 Distagon, and although I don't want to sell the huge 15 Distagon, I think I'm going to pick up a Voigtlander 15 for the compact hiking bag soon.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

After a number of years of shooting either mirrorless or a mirrorless/DSLR mix, I'm shooting about 75% 35mm film these days, with a single DSLR for backup.

All Nikon, but most work is with an FE and FG. Shooting ZF.2 and Nikkor lenses (28/3.5 AI'd, 55/3.5 AI, ZF85)

I simply prefer the handling of the classic manual cameras, and for most work the output is what I needed.

It has gotten a LOT more expensive to shoot film over the last 4-5 years, but options are increasing again after years of discontinuations.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:42 PM
darrellc
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

A7RII - 90%
A6000 - 0.1%
X100T - 7.5%
Ricoh GR - 2.4%

Those are guesses of course...

A7RII almost all the time as, crucially, you can make it as small or large as you want (add grip and 24-70GM zoom, or no grip and FE 35/2.8) so very flexible camera with few compromises when set up for lightweight kit, esp. if you are OK with MF glass (TechArt Pro is getting a bunch of my MF glass into the rotation more).

A6000 is backup body and idea is to have crop, but I never seem to need to backup body, I rarely shoot tele, and I just wish I was shooting with the A7RII if I shoot with the A6000. I used to use the A7S as backup to the A7RII - it didn't see a lot of use, so sold and replaced with a super cheap A6000 body I picked up on buy & sell board here.

X100T was repurchased recently. I bring when I want a single camera. School, birthday parties, family events, light weight travel, daily carry. Built in ND, built in flash with high sync speeds and Fuji just nails fill flash, right focal length for me, light, stylish - my wife groans if I drag the A7RII on date night, but Fuji is more fashion accessory than camera in her mind, so all good. Just wish it had decent video and it would be a complete package. Used to have an RX1 which killed the Fuji for IQ, and I could probably just use the A7RII/FE 35 - but I just enjoy using the X100T and everyone likes the pictures from it!

Ricoh GR when I want truly pocketable, and before the X100T, got carried a lot to use in a two body setup with the A7RII (so FE 55 on the A7RII, GR for 28mm, and the GW-3 just in case I wanted 21). SOOC b&w jpegs are amazing and snap focus is great with the greater depth of field of APS-C, so gets a lot of use every time I travel. I'll have to rationalize between the GR and X100T...

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:19 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

A7s 85% plus (and 90% of that with Canon 17 f4 L TS-E, Canon FD 24 1.4 L, Sony Zeiss 55 1.8, Sigma 150 2.8 APO macro and 28-70 FE kit lens).

GX7 14% minus (and 95% of that with Oly 14-42 ii kit lens, Sigma 150 2.8 APO macro, Canon 40 2.8 STM and Canon 18-55 IS ii kit lens).

1% lots of old stuff.

I shoot a lot of night time stuff and the A7s is the camera I always wanted. The GX7 is a nice fun (mostly day time) camera with a few things I like a lot (tilting EVF and touch screen/touch shutter especially).

Oct 20, 2016 at 03:34 AM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

God help me. I have too many cameras..... All digital. No percentages.

miniMF: Leica S (007), S2 and Pentax 645Z
35mm: Leica SL, M-P, A7R2, A7R
APSC: Fuji XPro2, a6000
m43: PenF

I have more but they're for sale. My gear tends to get used in blocks:

For work: 90% is the SL. Occasionally the S. The A7R2 is a backup to the SL and for when I need high res 35mm files.

Landscapes: 645Z mostly. The S is new to me and has issues as a landscape system. A7R2 with Canon and Nikon TS lenses when I need to travel a bit lighter.

Drone: Mostly with an Inspire and m43 camera. I'll carry the PenF because it's light and can share lenses with the drone. I have a bigger drone but don't use it enough (A7R camera).

Carry around: Leica M or XPro2's. They're the funnest. I almost have one or the other with me. I should get rid of either one or the other but I can't bring myself to do it.

In order of use: Leica SL, Leica S, Pentax 645Z, M-P, Fuji XPro2, PenF and drone, A7R2, A7R.

Gordon

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:48 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

50% D500
30% D3X
10% A7ii
8% film RF
2% film SLR
0% film P&S

Oct 20, 2016 at 09:47 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

I am all Leica now, no hard numbers but in order of most used the list is
M-Monochrom 246
S-006
M9
and to many lenses.

There is probably an EVIL camera in my future list but right now I prefer the optical viewfinder.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:38 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

I'm all over the place, still, because no system is "the one" enough for ergonomics, and availability of lenses that I want. All of what I have is good enough with file quality. It's the software bugs that drive me nuts, along with cameras that don't feel like cameras.
The Leica and the iPhone come closest to "getting out of my way" but I've had disastrous experiences with Leica (digital) quality ... so thrice bitten twice shy, with regards to the brand, except for film. If I were to guess the numbers ...

30% iPhone - because it's always there
30% Fuji Xpro1 or X100s because this is the goldilocks system for me. Size ... just right. Feels like a camera, not a borg with a lens mount.
20% Fuji E-2 converted to IR 560nm - because IR is my current area of exploration.
2% Nikon D3 - because I have to charge the batteries once in a while and there's a cat nearby. Why not take a snap. Besides I feel sorry for the dusty ol' thing.
5% Olympus EM-11 or EM-5 Mk2 - Great on the spec sheet, poor on the brain. Lost the toothpick for those tini buttons.
5% Film Mamiya - the darkroom got flooded two years ago. Will rebuild and crank that percentage back to it's former 40%.
8% minds eye only - was too lazy to get out of chair. Photos on unreliable media now.

This diversity has some upsides. The lesson is becoming that too much is not more, but often less. Next year will be a time for back to basics. iPhone seven has passed all the tests. Jury out on all the rest.

For the first time ever I am thinking that the iPhone may be my PRIMARY system. I could never have imagined that before. And then a camera for special purposes, like infra red or travel or landscapes. So I guess it should contrast with the iPhone, which takes over as the portable "good enough" system (?) for "take everywhere" to have fun with. Looks like a good bye to M43.

Hmmm. The problems of too much. Could be worse, eh?

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:16 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Used Camera Combinations and Why?

Overall my distribution is roughly as follows.

A7R - 60%
A6000 - 20%
T2i ( infrared ) -5%
7d - 5%
5d2 - 5%
Fuji 6x9 & tachihara 4x5 - 5%

However at any given time for a week or 2 I might be 100% film if 100% infrared.

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:29 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password