Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8       end

Archive 2016 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

dasams
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

DWOfPaul wrote:
Thanks Dave for the sample photos! I recently found a place that had it in stock and was very tempted to take the plunge too. So far would you recommend the lens?

I like it a lot and look forward to some shifted, high megapixel landscape work. There's a new moon coming up and I'll take some shots of the night sky if we have clear skies. Dave

Dec 24, 2016 at 06:12 PM
No Regrets
• • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Been really loving everyone's contributions to this thread!

I recently had the opportunity to participate in the "Nikko" World Tour where a Nikkor 28mm f3.5 PC lens was very generously offered to be used by a group of Nikon Manual Focus Forum members all around the world. It was my first time ever using a lens that had perspective control. It was a great experience and I loved it!

So now, I'm considering getting something like this and was wondering if any of you have had experience with the 28f3.5PC and how it would compare with that of the Nikon 24 PC-E. There obviously is a huge price differential between the two, but does that carry over to image quality, features, etc? Main uses will be landscape and architecture.

Secondly, I would be using it on my Df. Any concerns functionally of the 24 PC-E when mounted on the Df that I would need to be aware of?

Many thanks in advance!
Don

Jan 02, 2017 at 12:34 AM
supermario343
• • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Any updated shots from this lens or reviews anyone has?

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:19 AM
ljkamler

Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

supermario343 wrote:
Any updated shots from this lens or reviews anyone has?

Yea, can't believe no one has posted a lengthy review or youtube video yet.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:21 AM
supermario343
• • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

ljkamler wrote:
Yea, can't believe no one has posted a lengthy review or youtube video yet.

Agreed on that. I want to see more and if it'd be worth a purchase in near future for my work.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:31 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Me too! I am very interested in this lens but nothing yet. I think it has to do with niche nature of the lens and its hefty price tag.

Jan 14, 2017 at 01:11 AM
supermario343
• • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

hijazist wrote:
Me too! I am very interested in this lens but nothing yet. I think it has to do with niche nature of the lens and its hefty price tag.

Agreed..$3400 for a PC-E lens is a bit steep but if you're in the field of making money with this beast, no sweat

Jan 14, 2017 at 01:53 AM
Andre Y
• •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

You can rent one from LensRentals: that's how I evaluated the lens for myself.

Jan 14, 2017 at 02:21 AM
supermario343
• • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Andre Y wrote:
You can rent one from LensRentals: that's how I evaluated the lens for myself.

Did you end up liking it and or buying after?

Jan 14, 2017 at 02:40 AM
mysh
• • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

I ended up returning mine which is why I haven't posted more since getting it.

I really loved the lens and I think I will buy it again down the road but I am waiting for a few things first. I don't shoot much in winter and could use the money for other things. I also thought maybe the price would go down later down the road.

I really hope they make a hood for it as well as a filter holder. Since the front cap screws on I think this makes it very possible to make a nice hood and filter holder for the lens. If these come out I will likely buy it again. I did find flare to be a issue with the exposed front element.

I am either going to wait and see if the price comes down or the accessories get released or I might just grab the 24mm.

Jan 15, 2017 at 04:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ckcarr
• • • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

This lens, although I am a big fan of and user of the Nikon PC-E lenses and own the 24/45/85mm ones.. I simply cannot find a worthwhile use for it that would justify the Nikon price right now. The other lenses, I have a pattern, consistent locations and times of year where I use each of them. Not for this one however, and for the money I could buy something, or a couple somethings, that I would pull out and use on a daily basis.

Someone must be buying them though as they are always sold out it seems.

Sometimes, actually more often than not, I am starting to think that a piece of gear like this would have been relegated to the Nikon catalogue under "exotic" where people might have looked at it in passing, then turned the page to something far more practical. Now however, with the internet, internet hype, me first mentality, and on-line shopping, items like this get sold where in the past they would collect dust on a Nikon warehouse shelf.

Just random thoughts as I'll probably buy one someday... But, it needs to come down, like the 80-400mm did...

Jan 15, 2017 at 02:48 PM
Andre Y
• •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

supermario343 wrote:
Did you end up liking it and or buying after?

I returned it. The lens is very good, and is mechanically superior to the 24 PC-E, which is one of my regular landscape lenses, but because the 19 can't (yet?) take filters and I'm not comfortable with a 19mm FOV, I returned it. The price didn't help too!

Jan 17, 2017 at 07:05 AM
bernardl
• •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

D810 + 19mm T/S

Cheers,
Bernard

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:12 AM
supermario343
• • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

^ nice one Bernard! Pretty scene too

Jan 17, 2017 at 01:40 PM
DWOfPaul
• •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

If Nikon priced this lens at like 2,800 I think the conversations would of been much different.

I am still waiting to see a compression against the Canon 17mm. Now I am also interested in seeing how the laowa 12mm preforms on Sony with the Shift adapter. I will use shift much more then tilt, so if the price to performance is on, might be a better way to go.

Jan 18, 2017 at 04:34 AM
supermario343
• • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Here is a test shot...nothing special, just wanted to see how the lens performs.

19mm test by Mario Bialek, on Flickr

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:35 AM
supermario343
• • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Sample of a tilt...

19mm tilt by Mario Bialek, on Flickr

Jan 22, 2017 at 02:37 PM
supermario343
• • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Here's a little bit of a review from me...
The lens is crazy sharp, no doubt about it. Once you shift to the extreme left or right, image quality suffers in the corners. Don't think I will be shifting that extreme anyway but for anyone considering this lens it's something to think about. Still on the fence with this lens..

Jan 22, 2017 at 02:46 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

The extreme shifting softness will always occur. However (as they say), that's just one part of an image. No one's going to notice it in a high quality image. And by the way, when I do a pano, I use the Really Right Stuff pano kit. Far easier....

As far as "crazy sharp", many lenses these days are crazy sharp for far less money.

So I don't know Supermario. Not being super critical, but I haven't seen anything you've posted that would convince me to buy the lens. Especially for $3,400. But that's largely the subject matter you've been choosing also. This is just me, but if I lived in Illinois (where I grew up), I could find far better lenses to buy for the money to use back there. I mean, to a large extent, lenses are almost regional... different subjects in different places. As a landscaper or wildlife when I get out, the use for it that does come to mind for me is old Illinois barns, silos, and farmhouses... Before they become subdivisions. In other words, consider carefully if you truly have a purpose before laying out that money.

Just my thoughts.

Jan 22, 2017 at 03:31 PM
supermario343
• • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

ckcarr wrote:
The extreme shifting softness will always occur. However (as they say), that's just one part of an image. No one's going to notice it in a high quality image. And by the way, when I do a pano, I use the Really Right Stuff pano kit. Far easier....

As far as "crazy sharp", many lenses these days are crazy sharp for far less money.

So I don't know Supermario. Not being super critical, but I haven't seen anything you've posted that would convince me to buy the lens. Especially for $3,400. But that's largely the subject matter you've been choosing also. This
...Show more

The money isn't an issue here lol. I haven't had time to fully test the lens like I want, that's all. This was just a quick review of my thoughts from what I have seen so far. Where I live, there isn't much to photograph as far as pretty scenery goes. If I went to downtown Chicago, I could maximize the potential with the buildings and such but there's other cons with that too. I certainly didn't mean to be swaying anyone from my review here on purchasing the lens.

Jan 22, 2017 at 04:30 PM
       8       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password