Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              7       8       end

Archive 2016 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

rdeloe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Unfortunately, medium format lenses on full frame are not an alternative for this lens. For instance, I get a huge range of camera movements (tilt, swing, shift, rise, fall -- together or separately) with a pair of Mirex tilt-shift adapters and Pentax 645 lenses on a Sony A7r. However, "wide" stops at 35mm in my budget. Pentax made a 25mm lens DA lens (which costs a lot more than this 19mm Nikon T/S). That's still not wide enough if you really need 19mm. I put a Zeiss Distagon 21/2.8 in ZF (Nikon) mount on one of my adapters, and that gives me 4mm of shift/rise/fall plus all the tilt I need... but that's still not 19mm.

Of course the advantage of the medium format on full frame route is that you can tilt and shift ALL your medium format lenses. I do this with 35mm, 55mm, 75mm and 150mm SMC Pentax-A lenses.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:06 AM
mikeassk

p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

CanadaMark wrote:
It's going to get compared to the Canon 17 T/S a lot, but I suspect this will be a much better lens. The Canon 17 is not that great, even though it is unique. It's a niche lens anyway, not made in nearly the same numbers as something like a 24-70 - it's going to command a premium regardless. Expensive any way you look at it though, but likely a minor issue for anyone using it professionally.

I have read some interesting arguments as to why T/S isn't great on UWA lenses (perhaps why they chose 19mm instead of wider), but
...Show more

Lots of interesting opinions on your comment. Do you own the 17? I do and it is incredible.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:55 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

mikeassk wrote:
Lots of interesting opinions on your comment. Do you own the 17? I do and it is incredible.

Read Fred Miranda's post in this thread, I think he did a good job of describing the lens and I agree with his assessment. And yes I have used it.

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:10 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

$3,400. Just wow. Nikon are chasing you down Zeiss.

I have hummed and aaghed over a T/S for a long time, and now I've just sold my D800E. This one won't tempt me so it's back to debating a Canon or Samyang on my A7rii. Or just continue with my T/S adapter and with my LensBabies !

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:24 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

$3400 and compatibility issues with some fairly recent cameras?

"Nikkor PC 19mm f/4E ED lens compatibility - depending on combination of shift and rotation, operation may be restricted by mechanical interference between the lens and camera when used with certain Nikon cameras:

Models that can be used without any limitation: D5, D4 series, D3 series, D810 Series, D500

Models that can be used with some limitations: Df, D800 series, D750, D610, D600, D300 series, D7200, D7100, D5500, D5300, D5200, D5100, D5000, D3400, D3300, D3200, D3100

Models that are not compatible with PC NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED: D2 series, D1 series, D200, D100, D90, D80, D70 series, D3000, D60, D50, D40 series, film cameras, Nikon 1 series with FT-1"

Oct 24, 2016 at 07:46 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

That's nothing, no need to over react. That similar disclaimer has come with every one of the PC-E lenses.

Oct 24, 2016 at 09:00 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

I think the response was intended to read "Do you own the 17 TSE and have experience with it on a routine basis?".

This 19mm PCE looks like the best edition of Nikon's PC lenses, but still seems to come up short mechanically to the Canon series. Optically, we'll need to wait for tests to get into the fine details comparing the two.

Personally, I've been hoping someone would come out with a simple shift optic (with rotating mount) in 14-15mm. A 12mm would be amazing! Even 6-7mm of shift would be a big help.

CanadaMark wrote:
Read Fred Miranda's post in this thread, I think he did a good job of describing the lens and I agree with his assessment. And yes I have used it.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:19 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I've used the TS-E 17/4L for many years and it has been an incredible lens. However, it starting to show its weaknesses on high megapixel sensors. Even a 1 degree tilt will deteriorate the very corners of the frame substantially. The same can be said for shifting where to maintain good resolution towards the edges, one must close down the aperture to the point where diffraction becomes an issue.

So, the lens without movements is superb but once we start using it for what it was really intended, it starts to lose IQ, and that's more evident when mounted on
...Show more

Bravo Nikon for finally producing a uwa ts. This should encourage canon given that Nikon will hopefully work on canon -its a manual focus lens.

If I was a Nikon user, I would be pleased. It would be nicer if the 19mm was 14mm but shifting and stiching will deliver you what you need.

I have the canon ts17, ts24, and ts90 in canon and TS17 is my favorite lens. TS17 does have field curvature challenges that require you to be at f11 and focus off centre for infinity (and shifted beyond 10 the edges get rough) but the extreme distortion you avoid (using zeiss 15/2.8 for example that produces leaning bowed trees) with shifting is far more important than 10% less resolution for shifting. Even if it just matches the Canon you will be way better off over 14-24.

I find the tilt far more used at TS24 than TS17 which already has pretty wide dof at f11 and 17mm - but the tilt is nice to have.

Oct 24, 2016 at 02:20 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I've used the TS-E 17/4L for many years and it has been an incredible lens. However, it starting to show its weaknesses on high megapixel sensors. Even a 1 degree tilt will deteriorate the very corners of the frame substantially. The same can be said for shifting where to maintain good resolution towards the edges, one must close down the aperture to the point where diffraction becomes an issue.

So, the lens without movements is superb but once we start using it for what it was really intended, it starts to lose IQ, and that's more evident when mounted on
...Show more

Fred, your examples and assessment seems quite fair, especially once tiled and shifted. For someone as particular about sharpness as yourself (well, what I've read anyways ) and to still come away saying it's been an incredible lens, that sounds pretty darn good to me. Really like the first one!

And as more and more who use the lens regularly seem to be attesting, Canon's 17 TSE is still a great piece of gear.

Oct 24, 2016 at 03:26 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

This lens definitely has my attention. I look forward to seeing in-the-wild, real-world images and reviews. The price is high, but at 19mm, it could check another "box" on my long-term wish list, as well, that being an 18mm to 21mm landscape lens. I await seeing whether Nikon has truly raised the bar, optically, with this one.

Oct 24, 2016 at 09:19 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

I will get my copy this Friday it seems.

Cheers,
Bernard

Oct 25, 2016 at 05:22 AM
TakenWild
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

rdeloe wrote:
Unfortunately, medium format lenses on full frame are not an alternative for this lens. For instance, I get a huge range of camera movements (tilt, swing, shift, rise, fall -- together or separately) with a pair of Mirex tilt-shift adapters and Pentax 645 lenses on a Sony A7r. However, "wide" stops at 35mm in my budget. Pentax made a 25mm lens DA lens (which costs a lot more than this 19mm Nikon T/S). That's still not wide enough if you really need 19mm. I put a Zeiss Distagon 21/2.8 in ZF (Nikon) mount on one of my adapters, and that
...Show more

Except, only the Pentax 75mm have up to 15mm quality shift and the 35mm with 10-12mm of quality shift are actually useful in my opinion. The 55mm and the 150mm are ok not shifted on the A7R2, but shifted they aren't even good on a 24mp A7.

Oct 25, 2016 at 06:02 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Most 35mm camera/lens combos are limited in how far you can effectively shift by the mirror box, and, of course, the diminishing performance at the edge of the image circle. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I think my 35mm PC Distagon shifts to 13mm, but even that lens is a bit soft at the extreme edges of that shift on a 50mp chip.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:48 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

TakenWild, it's interesting that you're unsatisfied with the quality of these SMC Pentax-A lenses. My experiences are quite different.

* This shot is with the SMC Pentax-A 55/2.8 and about 12mm of rise: http://www.robdeloephotography.com/Image-Galleries/Built-environment/i-tdMjCgd/A Edges and corners are perfectly fine, and at 1:1 on the full image you can easily read the room number plate beside the door (which you can't even see in this web version). This one is not the star of the show, that's for sure, but it's actually a very good lens.
* This shot is with the SMC Pentax-A 35/3.5 and 17mm of rise across the two Mirex adapters: http://www.robdeloephotography.com/Image-Galleries/Guelph/i-fQtjh38/A At 1:1 you can almost identify the Saints in the stained glass windows; you can easily tell what kind of screw head is holding the trim by the door on the side entrance.
* The SMC Pentax-A 150/3.5 did just fine in this shot. I can't remember the amount of rise; I think it was around 12mm: http://www.robdeloephotography.com/Image-Galleries/Guelph/i-prpSXfH/A At 1:1 you can see texture in the feathers of the birds sitting on top of the spire. This is a strip joint by the way, hence the title "The Manor puts its best face forward". I had to work the angles to hide the garrish signage...

I guess everyone's needs and expectations are different. I have absolutely no qualms about recommending SMC Pentax-A lenses for significant shifts/rises/falls on an A7r.

Note that Mirex does make Nikon mount adaptors, so this conversation about Pentax lenses is actually relevant in a Nikon forum. The thing to watch for is the Nikon mount has a considerably smaller "throat" than EOS (which limits the amount of shift/rise/fall you can get).

TakenWild wrote:
Except, only the Pentax 75mm have up to 15mm quality shift and the 35mm with 10-12mm of quality shift are actually useful in my opinion. The 55mm and the 150mm are ok not shifted on the A7R2, but shifted they aren't even good on a 24mp A7.

Oct 26, 2016 at 01:50 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

You can get a bit of shift/rise/fall out of a 35mm lens on a full frame sensor, but it's very small. I get a reliable 4mm out of my Zeiss Distagon 21/2.8, but that's pushing it because it really wasn't meant to do that. Tilt is no problem on the Mirex adapter because of how it tilts.

Peter Figen wrote:
Most 35mm camera/lens combos are limited in how far you can effectively shift by the mirror box, and, of course, the diminishing performance at the edge of the image circle. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I think my 35mm PC Distagon shifts to 13mm, but even that lens is a bit soft at the extreme edges of that shift on a 50mp chip.

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:16 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

A quick update in case anyone in future does a search and find this thread... TakenWild's comments motivated me to do some careful testing. I set up the SMC Pentax-A 35/3.5 and shot my usual ISO 12233 chart group. I made test shots at all apertures for the following rise (shift) amounts: 0mm, 5mm, 10mm, and 15mm. This involved resetting the tripod and refocusing.

The result is that part of TakenWild's observation looks more solid to me now than my first impression. The 5mm and 10mm groups are perfectly fine. However, the 15mm group is a bit problematic. At the top of the image, there's a lot more CA (we're near the edge of the image circle now), and there's a slight loss of resolution. There's also a bit of distortion in shapes. At f/3.5 and f/5.6 I wouldn't call the results usable. At f/8 and f/11 they're decent, and cleaned up well in Lightroom.

So as usual it comes down to whether or not you need sharp more than you need what the shift does for you. In the shot I linked above (Church spire) the effects of the 17mm of shift are visible, but that shift allowed me to make the shot.

I'd be fascinated to know if using Pentax 67 lenses improves the scenario (where with this much shift you're still not close to the edge of the image circle). Mind you there's no 35mm lens in P67...

Oct 31, 2016 at 04:36 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Are we even talking about the Nikon tilt-shifts anymore?

Oct 31, 2016 at 04:53 PM
saph
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Is this lens available yet? Would love to see some architecture examples with it.

Oct 31, 2016 at 05:34 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

My bad! Back to the Nikon 19mm T/S...

ckcarr wrote:
Are we even talking about the Nikon tilt-shifts anymore?

Oct 31, 2016 at 06:03 PM
mysh
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

mine shipped today from B&H. Hope to have wednesday and will post samples as soon as I can

Oct 31, 2016 at 06:26 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.