Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

Archive 2016 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

LeifG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

bernardl wrote:
Judging from the image quality delivered by the 105mm f1.4 and their current line up of super teles, Nikon is making some breakthough in lens design and is very close to Zeiss in image quality while delivering a look that I find more pleasant.

I suspect there is no breakthrough in lens design, rather they are making lenses with better IQ, and a concomitant increase in price, simply because the current crop of high pixel count FX sensors are really good, and users are prepared to pay for these higher quality lenses. After all many people who used to use medium format now use 35mm cameras. That is obviously why Zeiss are bringing out the Otus range. There is a market for these super silly price (1) lenses.

As to why Nikon can undercut Zeiss (by all accounts the 20mm F1.8 lens is on a par with the Zeiss 21mm F2.8 lens), well Japan has always been good at undercutting Germany,and also Nikon outsource production of many lenses to China and Thailand.

(1) The price is reasonable for many users, but not casual shooters.

Oct 20, 2016 at 05:11 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Nikon marketing is asleep: MTF cuts off at the usual 21mm. We have to wait for field reports to know about linearity and TCA. Rear-standard rotation finally arrived on a Nikkor, hurray, but I want the long end (85mm) version.

Oct 20, 2016 at 05:22 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Looks to be a phenominal lens, but these prices are crazy.

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:32 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Nikon's smart like a fox. Maybe.

They're going to put all the top end lenses out of reach for most photographers. Those will be the elite lenses (whether better or not, it doesn't matter).

The average photographer will then buy the mid level lens, but at what was once the top end pricing for Nikon. These lenses are far cheaper to manufacture, with better margins.

They're just raising the financial bar and cost of entry for serious photographers. I'm sure they don't view themselves as the Chevy of the camera world. In their mind, they are the BMW...

Anyway, buying the tilt-shift, if you have a use for it, is no different than buying a second D810. And it will probably depreciate less. If you don't have a use, it will end up just sitting in a box for a few years, in the closet, until it's sold for $1,800 or so.

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:48 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

ckcarr wrote:
The average photographer will then buy the mid level lens, but at what was once the top end pricing for Nikon. These lenses are far cheaper to manufacture, with better margins.

Oh, I don't think so. I've been buying Sigma ART lenses. Better quality and considerably less money. Now even Tamron is coming along. No margin at all for Nikon with those.

Kent in SD

Oct 20, 2016 at 08:12 AM
Danner
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

I feel sure the optics will be brilliant. The price would be tough to justify. Querying, wouldn't a shift-only lens get you most of the bang at a lower cost, as I don't see the tilt feature being all too important at 19mm?

Oct 20, 2016 at 08:15 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

tilt is essential for aligning the plane of focus along walls etc. for architectural. 19mm does mean greater depth of field, but not great enough, and for "art" one wants the plane of focus to be along a specific location. As in this image:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7400/27369591246_b19547d514_c.jpg

Oct 20, 2016 at 08:53 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Seems to me that you don't buy much anyway. Particularly new.

Two23 wrote:
Oh, I don't think so. I've been buying Sigma ART lenses. Better quality and considerably less money. Now even Tamron is coming along. No margin at all for Nikon with those.

Kent in SD

Oct 20, 2016 at 09:03 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

mysh wrote:
Well I pulled the trigger on this. I have never used a T/S lens so it should be interesting. I have wanted one for some time now and stopped myself from buying the 24 numerous times.

Congrats on pulling the trigger. Man, I have to say I am tempted to also! So I am a bit jealous at this point.

Jim

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:20 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Man I'm jealous too! I've used the Nikon 24 PCE and Rokinon 24 pce, and always wanted wider. No doubt it's going to be a phenomenal performer.

It's going to be a toss up between buyung this or selling chubby, unfortunately.

JimFox wrote:
Congrats on pulling the trigger. Man, I have to say I am tempted to also! So I am a bit jealous at this point.

Jim

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:41 PM
mysh
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

I plan to sell a few lenses to pay for this. I am going to sell the nikon 14-24, nikon 105mm 1.8 and I am going to wait and see about selling the 20mm 1.8G. It might make sense to sell the 20mm but I love it and it takes 77mm filters.

I also just had a major ebay score that will goes towards this. I got a D5200 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VRII for $12.99. I figue that might net me 400-500 to go towards this lens.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:45 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

For movements, I think the pseudo tech-cam approach is preferable with bellows and using good medium format lenses.

kaplah wrote:

tilt is essential for aligning the plane of focus along walls etc. for architectural. 19mm does mean greater depth of field, but not great enough, and for "art" one wants the plane of focus to be along a specific location. As in this image:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7400/27369591246_b19547d514_c.jpg

Everyone has their own way of working but I'd disagree. We've had dof stacking software (eg. helicon focus) for over 10 years. Tilt can still have it's place (usually landscapes with moving grass/waves and without tall tress) but what usually happens is unnatural looking parts of the image go out of focus to varying degrees. In your example, the signs on the right are various amounts of blurred and the whole ceiling is blurred all while the block and chairs at the far end of the room are sharp. It just looks odd.

Oct 20, 2016 at 03:07 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

m.sommers00 wrote:
Wait, what?!

I've used the TS-E 17/4L for many years and it has been an incredible lens. However, it starting to show its weaknesses on high megapixel sensors. Even a 1 degree tilt will deteriorate the very corners of the frame substantially. The same can be said for shifting where to maintain good resolution towards the edges, one must close down the aperture to the point where diffraction becomes an issue.

So, the lens without movements is superb but once we start using it for what it was really intended, it starts to lose IQ, and that's more evident when mounted on high megapixel bodies.

Another issue to watch for is strong field curvature even at smaller apertures. This is not reported too much but it's there at infinity distances.

I'm hoping Nikon has a winner here to put some pressure on Canon to come up with a TS-E 17/4L II.

Here are 2 sample images: (The lens was tilted and shifted)

Oct 20, 2016 at 04:12 PM
pja7
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

mysh wrote:
I am going to wait and see about selling the 20mm 1.8G. It might make sense to sell the 20mm but I love it and it takes 77mm filters...

I sold my 14-24mm and bought the Tamron 15-30mm as I use the 24-30mm range a lot. Everyone says how sharp the Tamron is, but for interiors (on my D810 @ f/8 @20mm) my 20mm f1.8g is really noticeably sharper in all corners , centre and especially mid range and easily beats my distortion prone 16-35mm f4 VR. Brighter than both in the corners too.

As you said, it also takes filters. I'd like to get the new 19mm T/S if it were less expensive, but wouldn't part with my 20mm

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:20 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Mark_L wrote:
For movements, I think the pseudo tech-cam approach is preferable with bellows and using good medium format lenses.
[...]

Can't argue with the additional flexibility, but I also expect very few people are willing to cart that stuff around. And the cost of medium-format digital is outrageous, or, one could use film at a much lower cost, but with all its disadvantages.

Mark_L wrote:
Everyone has their own way of working but I'd disagree. We've had dof stacking software (eg. helicon focus) for over 10 years.
[...]
Tilt can still have it's place (usually landscapes with moving grass/waves and without tall tress)
[...]
It just looks odd.

a) I've used helicon a lot, stacking macro and some product. I'd much rather get it done in-camera, for most things, but stacking can do things that a t/s can't, and that stopping-down can't.
b) photographing doors along a hallway, a row of buildings, etc., are purpose-made for tilt. There's a great example at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/using_tilt.html , way down the page at the words "partition installers wanted a picture showing the glass doors." - and of course landscapes, as you mention.
c) well, I see your position, but: the subject was the boardroom table/chairs, and they're sharp; I got exactly what I wanted; and the client expressed great satisfaction. It wasn't supposed to look like standard architecture, which is why I showed it, and it could only have been done with a t/s or a bellows etc.

Different tools for different jobs.

Having said all of that, the Nikon 19mm is really interesting, but really too expensive for me. My inexpensive (bought it used) Hartblei will continue to take care of business, warts and all.

Oct 20, 2016 at 08:01 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

kaplah wrote:
Can't argue with the additional flexibility, but I also expect very few people are willing to cart that stuff around. And the cost of medium-format digital is outrageous, or, one could use film at a much lower cost, but with all its disadvantages.

Yes it depends on the use. For product and architecture I'd consider it worth the hassle for flexibility and ease of use. This would be high on my list:

for other uses and occasional use it would probably not be.

Oct 21, 2016 at 05:53 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Mark_L wrote:
Yes it depends on the use. For product and architecture I'd consider it worth the hassle for flexibility and ease of use. This would be high on my list:

http://i6.xitek.com/forum/pics/201406/18626/1862666/1862666_1403241526.jpg

for other uses and occasional use it would probably not be.

What would be the final angle after "shifting" all the way out? Would that be similar to a 17-19mm lens plus 12mm shift. It is an honest question, not a smarty-pants one.

Oct 21, 2016 at 09:01 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Yes I agree with the previous post:

Both Nikon and Canon have posted MTFs with only 24mm of a 67mm (or so) image circle indicated. They specifiy only the central portion of the image circle as if these lenses were never to shifted or tilted.

If all lenses overcovered the sensor by a 2.8:1 ratio you can be sure they would be edge to edge sharp, huge, unwieldy and super expensive.

Oct 21, 2016 at 09:10 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Javier Munoz wrote:
What would be the final angle after "shifting" all the way out? Would that be similar to a 17-19mm lens plus 12mm shift. It is an honest question, not a smarty-pants one.

I have no idea, I don't own it. Google 'cambo actus' and maybe you can calc it from the specs.

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:12 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Wow I do like that Cambo setup. But I can't see how you would achieve infinity focus with a Nikon camera and Nikon lens

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:23 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.