Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

notherenow
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

While I do love using the Canon 17 f4 L TS-E on Sony bodies, I wouldn't mind giving this lens a go on the same cameras!

Looks a very nice lens indeed.

A lot is similar between the two. The Nikon a fraction heavier and longer, same minimum focus distance, same front element size, both will take filters via adapters (a bit of a kludge but works ok).
Both have five special elements (4 ED and 1 ASPH for the Canon 3 UD and 2 ASPH for the Nikon).
The only real difference other than the 2mm is the Nikon tilts a fraction more.

Given how nice the Canon is, I can only think I will be jealous of this new lens (I would have to sell my 17 and a kidney to buy it). The adapters for Nikon to Sony are not at the level of Canon to Sony though.

This lens will be fantastic on a Nikon FF Mirrorless camera should one turn up soon I think.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:35 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

CanadaMark wrote:
The Canon 17 is not that great

Wait, what?!

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:44 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

m.sommers00 wrote:
Wait, what?!

Shifted to the max, it degrades significantly. We will see how the new lens compares when shifted.

The price is high, but I think everyone rushing to make comparisons to the Canon 17mm should wait and see how it performs before getting too upset.

Also this is the MTF for the Canon 17 (black lines if you're comparing to Nikon MTF's):

Edited on Oct 19, 2016 at 11:02 PM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:48 PM
bernardl
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

The Canon wide T/S have had the best image uniformity comparing centre to corners, but a pretty average level of sharpness overall.

The Nikon 24mm is sharper in the center but degrades more while going to the corners, which has given it a vastly un-deserved reputation of a poor lens.

The truth is that when you shoot with an Otus 28mm f1.4, you quickly realise how crappy wides from Canon and Nikon have been, including the T/S wides mentioned here.

It seems that this new Nikkor may simply refine what high image quality in a 20mm lens means. I am afraid my Sigma 20mm f1.4 will go soon.

Cheers,
Bernard

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:50 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Tilt-shifts at their maximum is where they perform the worst, and how often are they used there? The 17mm has been a staple lens for Canon/Sony architectural and real estate (and landscape) photographers for a reason.

There is still not a lens on the market that can directly compete with it.

If I could fit it on my D810 I would own it already and not even blink with this new offering. Unfortunately that is not possible.

End of the day, even if it is sharper (and to some extent I expect it to be), it doesn't net you 2mm wider. Which ultimately is the most frustrating aspect for me.

Edited on Oct 19, 2016 at 11:11 PM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:08 PM
mysh
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Well I pulled the trigger on this. I have never used a T/S lens so it should be interesting. I have wanted one for some time now and stopped myself from buying the 24 numerous times.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:11 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

mysh wrote:
Well I pulled the trigger on this. I have never used a T/S lens so it should be interesting. I have wanted one for some time now and stopped myself from buying the 24 numerous times.

Will be very eager to hear your thoughts!

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:18 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Dammit. That's the lens I've been wanting, but even $2,500 is more than I can justify. For me, it will never pay for itself. Looks like I'll just have to wait for Sigma.

Kent in SD

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:37 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Aztatlan wrote:
GASing hard for that 19mm (performance depending) but I expect it will be in the neighbourhood of $5000 AUD locally at launch - for perspective, you could probably buy two D810's for that (on sale) or a 14-24 and a 70-200 II.

Alternately, you could buy a Chamonix 8x10 (or 4x5) and Rodenstock ultrawide lens for less $$ and have a hell of a lot more movements and image quality.

Kent in SD

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:41 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Very interesting lens, definitely would find scenarios for the wider angle than my current old school 28 and 35mm PC-Nikkors cover. I do end up doing a lot of shifting so the max shift performance is pertinent.

Not sure I have any use for the electromagnetic diaphragm, especially in a wide angle architectural lens. But I guess its 2016.

And oh goodness that price!

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

protikh

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Any idea what would be the equivalent focal length of the stitched images produced from this 19mm TS?

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:15 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

protikh wrote:
Any idea what would be the equivalent focal length of the stitched images produced from this 19mm TS?

Play around with the calculator towards the bottom of this page.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses1.htm#calculator

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:28 AM
DWOfPaul
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

I have wanted to a wide angle TS / PC lens for a while... Numerous times I have thought about getting the Cannon 17mm and a body to mount it on.

If this lens was under 3k I probably would of pre ordered it already, but at 3.4k it's going to have to be amazing and on Otus levels to justify. I look forwards to the reviews but I am doubtful it's going to deserve it's price tag.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:45 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Looks like it is a great lens, I would like to have it but I am not paying $3400 for it.

Oct 20, 2016 at 03:07 AM
karlfoto

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

In 2010 i converted from nikon to canon, firstly because the d3x to replace my d2x was way to expensive, and they did not have shift lens as wide as the canon 17 tse. I got a 5dii, 24-205, and 17 tse for half the price of the D3x.

I need to upgrade my 5dii and have often thought of getting a d810, but of course for my work i need a wide shift lens

So now FINALLY, nikon comes to the party and low and behold, the price IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Their marketing division are asleep at the wheel.

Oct 20, 2016 at 03:26 AM
bernardl
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Judging from the image quality delivered by the 105mm f1.4 and their current line up of super teles, Nikon is making some breakthough in lens design and is very close to Zeiss in image quality while delivering a look that I find more pleasant.

I would bet the 19mm is going to be excellent and they have priced it at a level reflecting this relative to their only competition.

Cheers,
Bernard

Oct 20, 2016 at 05:55 AM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

I agree that the image quality as of late has been fantastic with all their premium lenses and this lens will likely not disappoint anyone.

For those who can use both Canon and Nikon, the decision (I would imagine) becomes incredibly difficult on what exactly you need/want.

My point is, we can all rant (or rave) about sharpness but working professionals like Keith Cooper use the 17mm and print huge. That's enough of a review for me to know it's a good piece of gear and still remains the widest T/S on the market.

I do hope Nikonians are happy with what Nikon has put out. It just baffles me why they did what they did.

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:30 AM
mysh
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

how many mm does the canon shift?

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:33 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

When you talk tilt shift the spec is "Image Circle." I believe the 17 TSE Imsge Circle is 67mm. The image circle defines the shifted area which is 12mm for FF.

However if you use a 1.6 crop sensor then the lens becomes a 28mm lens. The shift is the same but any optical distortion is minimized because you are only using the most linear, inner portion, of the image circle. So this is, for me, one reason why I value the wider TSE lens.

Using a TSE is complicated. However one use is to set it for max tilt and then stitch two frames. You shoot one frame, rotate the camera and shoot the other. That way the edges are perspective linear and the "Center" perspective is neutral.

Oct 20, 2016 at 08:03 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

mysh wrote:
how many mm does the canon shift?

12mm

Oct 20, 2016 at 08:04 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password