Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Nikon PC Nikkor 19mm F4E ED tilt-shift lens announced!
Great news for architecture and landscape photographers! Nikon just released a new ultra wide tilt and shift lens which is now available for pre-order at B&H Photo. The price is steep at $3396, especially compared to Canon's TS-E 17/4L price currently selling for $2,149, but it promises very high image quality with three Extra Low Dispersion (ED) glass elements and two Aspheric glass (AS) elements.

Main features:
  1. Ultra-wide-angle perspective control lens with tilt/shift capabilities
  2. First NIKKOR PC-E lens that can be tilted parallel or perpendicular to shift
  3. Tilt and shift independently and then rotate up to 90° with new PC Rotation capability
  4. Non-stick Fluorine Coat resists dirt, water spots, fingerprints and smudges.
  5. Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism
  6. Elements/groups: 17/13
  7. Special Elements: 3 ED + 2 aspherical elements + fluorine & Nano Crystal coatings
  8. Minimum focus: 0.25 m
  9. Maximum magnification: 0.18×
  10. Weight: 885g
  11. Diameter/Length: 89/124mm
  12. Number of apertures: 9

You can pick one up starting in November for $3,400.

Pre-order: B&H Photo

More info at nikon.com

Oct 20, 2016 at 05:04 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/20065/pc-nikkor-19mm-f%252f4e-ed.html?cid=SCL:COMM:MWW:101916:FB:NIKKOR:PClens:launch

Oct 19, 2016 at 05:08 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

$3,400? Yikes!

Oct 19, 2016 at 05:17 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Wow I have been waiting for this release but not that price tag

Oct 19, 2016 at 05:51 AM
Andre Y
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

But the performance looks extraordinary if the real performance lives up to that MTF chart especially for such a wide lens.

Oct 19, 2016 at 05:54 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

I have to admit I have serious NAS for that 19mm. I wonder how long till they knock off $500

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:17 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

mysh wrote:
I have to admit I have serious NAS for that 19mm. I wonder how long till they knock off $500

They now have a tradition of milking the early adopters, although the D500 is maintaining its high price, in the UK at least.

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:38 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Don't they usually do rebates in February? Might be a good time to hope for a discount on it

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:45 AM
Aztatlan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Andre Y wrote:
But the performance looks extraordinary if the real performance lives up to that MTF chart especially for such a wide lens.

The MTF presumably only represents unshifted performance though. This lens will live or die by how well it holds up at full or near-full shift.

At that price, you'd expect it to be stellar even at the far end of the shift mechanism. Glad to see Nikon have finally added independent tilt and shift movements; a feature sorely missing on their other PC lenses.

GASing hard for that 19mm (performance depending) but I expect it will be in the neighbourhood of $5000 AUD locally at launch - for perspective, you could probably buy two D810's for that (on sale) or a 14-24 and a 70-200 II.

Oct 19, 2016 at 07:30 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Andre Y wrote:

Basically every calculated MTF chart for every lens released looks like that now. They're not even trying to make them close to reality anymore. Wait for somebody to release one that's actually measured from a lens.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

I guess what I can't figure out about the ballooning prices of photography gear and degrading material quality is how the old stuff stays in production at the lower costs.

In other words, if this is what an UWA tilt/shift costs to make in 2016 and Nikon's not bending anybody over, how is Canon still able to produce theirs so cheap? If the flimsy plastic and hollowness of the 14-24 and newer Nikon "pro" lenses are the only cost effective way to produce a lens in 2016, how is Nikon able to keep a handful of lenses from the far more robust 17-35/2.8 era and even the all-metal Ai-S era in production?

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:20 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Have to admit, that is one cool lens. Money comes and money goes, but time waits for no man.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:31 PM
jpelt78

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Their tooling for the old lenses is already paid for. Same with the development costs. They might actually make a higher margin on some of the older lenses. Though some of that could be eaten into if raw material prices / labor are higher in the future. Manufacturing also tends to get more efficient at making something the longer they produce an item. So it can be cheaper to produce late in life because you know it so well. Less scrap, etc.

For new lenses R&D and startup/tooling costs are part of the selling price calculation for a set number of years. Probably set to be recovered evenly over the expected life cycle of the new lens. Inflation would also make each successive generations R&D more costly. They also try to price in a significant bump in MSRP at launch to take advantage of early adopters.

When a lens is good enough to live on longer in the catalog it's icing on top.

Lee Saxon wrote:
I guess what I can't figure out about the ballooning prices of photography gear and degrading material quality is how the old stuff stays in production at the lower costs.

In other words, if this is what an UWA tilt/shift costs to make in 2016 and Nikon's not bending anybody over, how is Canon still able to produce theirs so cheap? If the flimsy plastic and hollowness of the 14-24 and newer Nikon "pro" lenses are the only cost effective way to produce a lens in 2016, how is Nikon able to keep a handful of lenses from the far
...Show more

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:46 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

So much time waiting for this lens and they come up with a price that could buy me a Canon 17TSE, a sony adapter and a FF sony body...

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:30 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Really about time that Nikon refreshed their ancient tilt shift line. I have the excellent Canon 17mm F4.0 TSE. Courious why Nikon chose 19mm FL

The price is immense: $3400 verses $2150 for Canon's wider 17mm or $1900 for the narrower 24mm TSE. For the price of the Nikkor 19mm you can buy a Canon 17mm TSE and my Ancient 1Ds Mk iii camera.

Consider also the $2800 Canon 11-24 Zoom which can be "tilted" in post production. With an old 5D MKII the package is only $200 more. This makes the $3400 19mm TSE a very specialized lens.

With either a Canon 1.4X TC or APS C body and their 17mm TSE you wind up with a 24/27mm TSE and with the 1.4XTC/APS C you get a 38mm FL. So I will wait for the 19mm reviews and a price sag.

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:57 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Not that I can afford it, but this is a lens I have been wanting to see in the line-up for some time ... would have preferred a 16 or 17mm though. Two downsides I see to this lens:

1 -The price tag 2 -the front element sticking out like that makes filter use difficult.

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:05 PM
sector99

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

The release doesn't mention it but this lens ought to be very good in guided astrophotograhy. F/4 penetrates far better than faster lenses to deliver a more contrasty black sky/bright subject result–never mind the tilt/shift near-field astro combinations.

NIKON has delivered. The MTF worriers needn't be concerned based upon published sample pics.

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:16 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Nikon has lost their minds with the pricing of these two lenses. I'd be better off adding a Sony body, so I coud use Canon TS glass.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:12 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

Two things really eerk me about this lens.

1) Why not at least match Canon's 17mm focal length or beat it. Is it something with the mount design that this is literally as wide as physically possible?

2) The price is significantly higher than the Canon variant. Why? The Canon sells for $2800 CAD, vs. $4400 for the Nikon?!

When talk of a wide angle T/S for Nikon was in the works, I thought my Canon envy would be over. Sadly not the case.

Edited on Oct 19, 2016 at 10:43 PM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:31 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift announced!

It's going to get compared to the Canon 17 T/S a lot, but I suspect this will be a much better lens. The Canon 17 is not that great, even though it is unique. It's a niche lens anyway, not made in nearly the same numbers as something like a 24-70 - it's going to command a premium regardless. Expensive any way you look at it though, but likely a minor issue for anyone using it professionally.

I have read some interesting arguments as to why T/S isn't great on UWA lenses (perhaps why they chose 19mm instead of wider), but I can't find the article at the moment.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password