Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · What kind of photos really matter to you?

OldListener

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What kind of photos really matter to you?

and how did that affect you choice of m43 gear?

I see people stating on photograqphy that they take all kinds of photos and that they can't say what's really important to them. I find that quite strange. If you can't identify what matter most to you, how can you make choices on gear or how you spend your time?

Two kinds of subjects matter enough for me to spend money on good gear. Wildflowers and insects in a natural, uncontrolled situation have been my main subjects for years. Wildlife in natural environments are the other important subject for me.

m43 has been a huge step up from Nikon crop-bodies for wildflower and insect photos. The higher pixel density produces higher magnification at a 1:1 working distance. Focus peaking makes getting the subject accurately in focus so much easier. Image magnification in the viewfinder helps too. With blown highlight detection, the 2 sec. review in the viewfinder of the photo just taken is very effective for detecting and fixing blown highlights. A fully articulated LCD allows me to get very close to the ground shots and allows me to angle the LCD so that it is usable in sunlight.

Lighter weight mattered a lot too. My DSLR body + macro lens + tripod legs and head weighed 10 lbs. Carrying it was killing me. My m43 setup weighs about 4 lbs. and is quite manageable for all day shooting.

For wildlife photos, replacing my ~ 6 lbs. DSLR setup (body + long lens) with a 2 lb. m43 setup was just great for long sessions of handheld shooting. While the Panasonic 100-300 zoom isn't a perfect lens, it was much better and cheaper than any of the reasonably priced lenses I used on the DSLR setup.

For the uses that matter to me, m43 is the best choice. It has been much more cost effective than the DSLR gear was. That's why I'm using m43 gear. What's your reason?

Oct 19, 2016 at 03:07 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What kind of photos really matter to you?

Photos with a depth of feeling aka WOW factor. ALL cameras are capable of doing this. I dumped FF for m43 only because I do a lot of travel photography and bulk and weight matters. m43 files are so good that unless you need to make prints much larger than 20" x 16" you don't need big sensors with a boatload of megapixels.

Up until recently, I was missing the longer reach for bird and wildlife photography. But I am good now with the Olympus 300/4 PRO + 1.4 TC. And the new Panasonic 100-400mm lens is a terrific and lightweight alternative. What I need now is fast and accurate C-AF tracking ... and we are getting that with the E-M1 Mk II.

Speaking of the Panasonic 100-400mm lens, you can get a $150 discount from an eBay seller in Canada:

http://www.43rumors.com/150-off-on-the-leica-100-400mm-mft-lens/

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:50 PM
kwalsh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What kind of photos really matter to you?

For me initially it was all about landscape shooting and getting my kit weight down significantly from APS-C DSLR. The big issue was I started having to fly for most of my photography and still wanted to go all carry-on. I can do that with m43, couldn't do that with APS-C DLSR.

The other benefit was now I could be more mobile in the field with my whole kit rather than being more likely to pick and choose and leave the 70-200 behind much of the time. Tripod could come with me more frequently as it scaled down with the rest of the kit. I ended up loving the EVF as well and greatly preferred live-view as it allowed for accurate refocusing in deep twilight where an OVF can't (at the time none of the DLSRs had functional live-view though of course now they do).

Then we had a kid and now I appreciate a great set of primes with the "right" amount of DoF and very fast face/eyedetect AF to go along with the DoF. By "right" DoF I mean as shallow as is practical with a kid that might move. I wouldn't want to go shallower if I had FF and since I'm DoF limited and subject motion limited there is no advantage to a larger format for this kind of shooting.

I still lust a bit after something like the A7RII for really high resolution landscapes but to date I just never would print large enough to warrant the resolution increase and I have plenty of techniques to get the DR I need from m43. So in that sense m43 is still at a "sweet spot" for me.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:36 AM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What kind of photos really matter to you?

Basically landscapes and family shooting are my main interests. I mostly use my A7Rmk2 for the former and E-M5mk2 for the latter, but I mix and match quite a bit too. Since we had kids, I have way less time for the landscapes, so the A7Rmk2 doesn't see a ton of use. For family shooting, I really don't think m43 can be beaten for the combination of high image quality and portability, even with the pro zooms. The 12-40mm pro zoom is my favorite lens for photographing my kids. The Oly 75mm produces beautiful images and is relatively tiny.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:07 AM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What kind of photos really matter to you?

Cost effective pretty well sums it up for me. I don't think subject matter is or should be a huge factor.

Kelly

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:01 AM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What kind of photos really matter to you?

Photographs are, for me, a way to seize a moment. Those photographs that I prize are the ones where when I look at them, I think 'Oh yeah. I remember that.' Again, for me they are a way to recapture and relive moments.

Travel is what initially pushed me into M43. Like Kwalsh above, we do carry-on only along with a lot of walking tours. I don't travel in order to take photographs. I take photographs while I travel. It's a difference that has come to inform my choice of cameras, lenses, and ancillary equipment.

Oct 20, 2016 at 03:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What kind of photos really matter to you?

for me it is the hunt for zen like ergonomics, that is the most important aspect of system choice. Other that that I want the camera to disappear from the shoulder as well as from the conscious mind, when shooting.

The m43 stuff is half way there. The carry weight means that I will be more likely to take it on days where the picture making is not the main focus. The ergonomics have let me down, however, enough that I am considering getting out after starting with the system right with the first model. The iPhone now is good enough to substitute for what I most like in the M43 system - and Fuji has my (ergonomic) heart.

For me it's not at all the subject matter that influences the gear choice. Heck I shoot motorsports with manual focus film gear ... just fine, and feel that I'm up to any task with pretty much any gear.

Oct 21, 2016 at 07:24 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What kind of photos really matter to you?

Landscapes, people, travel, and a smattering of everything else. Dual system shooter, full frame DSLR and m43. I still see better DR and post processing flexibility in full frame, but the IQ compromise that is m43 is worth it for when I want the weight and bulk savings, and the lens selection is really good in m43 as well.

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:21 AM
OldListener

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What kind of photos really matter to you?

Thanks to all who commented in this thread.

I'm a content person. Getting photos of two kinds of subjects that matter to me drives my choice of gear. For everything else I'd settle for a cheap solution like a smartphone ($ 200 or less) or a low end compact. I'm not a photography hobbyist and I don't spend money on camera gear willingly.

Some of your answers suggest that you are photography hobbyists who get more out of buying gear and using it for the fun of using cameras than I do. Nothing wrong with that.

Oct 24, 2016 at 06:21 PM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What kind of photos really matter to you?

My primary subject matter is birds and mammals, although anything in nature I have an interest in photographing. Main goal used to be for publication, but thats waning more and more as time goes by it seems. The primary reason I picked up m43 was the size and weight savings. There's been too many times when I've left behind lenses that I would have used if I could've or would've carried them.
You give up a few things with m43, but at lower ISO's I'm not sure that it matters much, at least for magazine sizes. I like the better background control of my 180mm Canon macro, but it's big and heavy, there's no stabilizer, and you have to fight a bit with the Canons to get sharpness. It's a breeze getting sharp images with the sensor stabilizer of Olympus. I used to carefully pick and choose the Canon gear I took out in the field, but with Olympus, I give up little and I'm able to carry a full kit with ease. There's no way I'd go for a hike with Canon gear and be able to cover wide angle to macro to telephoto.
I'm really hoping the mark 2 will give me a fully viable fast camera!

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:54 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What kind of photos really matter to you?

I use three 4/3rds Panasonic G6 bodies to shoot my pay download videos. The G6 body is considered old now, but there is no recording limit (just fills whatever size cards you have; we use 64GB fast ones) and controls are adequate. We shoot and master at 1080p/30 and compress to 720p/30 for distribution.

For stills I use a Fuji X-E2 with the firmware update; with the 27/2.8 I just prefer the form factor for daily carry everywhere. I do have a few OEM Fuji lenses (and a CV 12/5.6 for wide). The G6 bodies have decent grips, so are a mini-DSLR form factor which I do not like to carry.

Content is king and queen, for me.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:23 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What kind of photos really matter to you?

I use three 4/3rds Panasonic G6 bodies to shoot my pay download videos. The G6 body is considered old now, but there is no recording limit (just fills whatever size cards you have; we use 64GB fast ones) and controls are adequate. We shoot and master at 1080p/30 and compress to 720p/30 for distribution.

For stills I use a Fuji X-E2 with the firmware update; with the 27/2.8 I just prefer the form factor for daily carry everywhere. I do have a few OEM Fuji lenses (and a CV 12/5.6 for wide). The G6 bodies have decent grips, so are a mini-DSLR form factor which I do not like to carry.

Content is king and queen, for me.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:23 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password