Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Sony A7ii or Canon 5D Mark III??

twinsfan7777
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7ii or Canon 5D Mark III??

I'm debating whether to upgrade to a Sony A7ii or a 5D3. In the past, I've owned nothing but Canon dslr's, but I have been playing around with a Sony RX1R and I'm amazed at the shadow recovery and dynamic range. But I've never shot with a modern Canon full frame sensor (only with the original 5D, which is like 10 years old now), so I'm curious if anyone has played with both of these cameras and can report back on which has the shadow recovery and overall dynamic range?

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:14 PM
mogul
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7ii or Canon 5D Mark III??

The 5dIV should be what you are comparing too, the 5III is old tech (still a very good camera), the new Canon sensors are now competitive though still behind the Sony's.

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:45 PM
notherenow
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7ii or Canon 5D Mark III??

If sports and wildlife are your thing, then the 5Diii would be my choice but for anything else, I would take the A7ii.

The Sony isn't hopeless at sports and wildlife but you would really need to use adapted Canon lenses currently for AF (or A mount) and that wouldn't be anywhere near the Canon.

I have not used either but have used the original A7 and have used Canon DSLRs.

The A7 was a lot better for AF than many people think and even has some advantages over Canon DSLRs.

I much prefer a mirrorless camera now over a DSLR but others will differ.

DR would be a little better with the Sony I think (actually a stop or two better at base but the Canon catches up about ISO 1600 from DXO).
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7-II-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III___996_795

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:23 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7ii or Canon 5D Mark III??

I would ignore the sensor performance between Sony and Canon's latest cameras, and focus on your existing lenses, comfort with size/weight, operability and lastly, shooting habits.

You can't go wrong with either one, but being a long-time Canon user sometimes I want to chuck my A7 or A7R over my shoulder and onto the pavement, for the crap UI and ergonomics. "People say" the II ticks (not tocks) the A7 evolution but I am sitting on my hands using what I have and waiting to see what the market gives us over the next two years.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:23 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7ii or Canon 5D Mark III??

What do you own now?

What do you shoot-- intend to shoot?

What matters most to you in photography?

The biggest difference between your two prospective bodies is AF/long lenses. The 5D3's biggest upgrade over the 5D2 was tracking AF that was finally good enough for sports/BIF. The 5D2 centerpoint AF was pretty good, actually, but tracking was mediocre at best.

From an image quality standpoint, I'd take the A7II over the 5D3 any day of the week. Better low ISO DR, better high ISO noise. Color is sometimes more pleasing on one, and sometimes more pleasing on the other-- and color can be modified, should you care (profiles).

The 5D3 has 4x the battery capacity, but physically larger batteries.

The 5D3 is rugged, but bigger, heavier, bulkier.

The A7II has IBIS-- something I underestimated the utility of until I started using it (granted, on an A7rII).

The more subjective things include color science, body shape, menus, general way/feel. That only you can answer.

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:57 AM
scrappydog
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7ii or Canon 5D Mark III??

I have the A7RII and the 5D3. As mentioned, the ergonomics are different, the battery is smaller, the Sony is less "solid", etc. These are all true. The addition of IBIS is incredibly useful. The ability to shoot small rangefinder lenses on the Sony is awesome, plus I routinely shoot my Canon glass on the Sony as well (the one exception is the TS-E 17, which has barrel distortion on the Sony). For me, the real game changer is the dynamic range and clean shadows. With the A7RII, there is two stops of headroom above the ceiling identified by the metering system, so you can "overexpose" with little concern about clipping, and the SNR is comparatively amazing. It's literally night and day. It's so substantial that I don't even shoot my 5D3 or 7D2 anymore. If it matters, I shoot street, travel, wildlife, and landscape.

Oct 19, 2016 at 07:25 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7ii or Canon 5D Mark III??

scrappydog wrote:
I have the A7RII and the 5D3. As mentioned, the ergonomics are different, the battery is smaller, the Sony is less "solid", etc. These are all true. The addition of IBIS is incredibly useful. The ability to shoot small rangefinder lenses on the Sony is awesome, plus I routinely shoot my Canon glass on the Sony as well (the one exception is the TS-E 17, which has barrel distortion on the Sony). For me, the real game changer is the dynamic range and clean shadows. With the A7RII, there is two stops of headroom above the ceiling identified by the
...Show more

Just curious what adapter you are using with the 17 TS-E? Could that be a problem?

I ask that as the EF to M4/3 Kipon adapter as it was sold had horrid distortion but the issue was fixed via a firmware update so it may be your adapter.

I have not used my 17 TS-E on an A7Rii but on both my (current) A7s and (sold) A7, the 17 is my favourite lens and I don't see any distortion. I know some people have sensor reflection issues with the TS-E's but to my mind, I have not had that as a problem either (17 and sold 24 ii).
The TS-Es are better on the A7 series cameras than any Canon camera to me or at least no worse while being MUCH easier to use.

A7s and 17 f4 L TS-E jpeg as taken (resized only)

Oct 19, 2016 at 08:32 AM
scrappydog
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7ii or Canon 5D Mark III??

I use the Metabones IV T adapter and a K&F Concept adapter. Both seem to show distortion with my TS-E 17.

Oct 19, 2016 at 09:58 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7ii or Canon 5D Mark III??

twinsfan7777 wrote:
I'm debating whether to upgrade to a Sony A7ii or a 5D3. In the past, I've owned nothing but Canon dslr's, but I have been playing around with a Sony RX1R and I'm amazed at the shadow recovery and dynamic range. But I've never shot with a modern Canon full frame sensor (only with the original 5D, which is like 10 years old now), so I'm curious if anyone has played with both of these cameras and can report back on which has the shadow recovery and overall dynamic range?

I have some DR and AF discussion between dslr & milc here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1452646/5#13771080

Online DR and noise floor is available and they can be compared here: http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm and here: http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/RN_ADU.htm

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:27 AM
paregorike
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7ii or Canon 5D Mark III??

Depends on what you like and need. I primarily shoot portraits and the Sony A7R II is more than enough.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:39 PM
arize84
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7ii or Canon 5D Mark III??

Unless you need the AF features of the 5DIII, you should really consider the 6D. The 6D has improved shadow recovery which is noticeably better than the 5DIII (the shadow recovery is basically acceptable for today's sensor standards). You also get significant cash savings, wifi, gps, and a smaller yet comfortable form factor. The A7II allows you to enjoy the best of both worlds by allowing you to use all lenses. If you are okay with the form factor of the camera then the A7II is largely a superior camera in almost all respects; and once you get used to EVF, it is hard to go back to optical.

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:05 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.