New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands

wayneng

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands

Hi,

This Christmas, the wife and I were thinking about taking a road trip out to New Mexico from Dallas - we've never been to White sands or Carlsbad so was wanting to see what that was like. Any suggestions? What's the weather like in December in that area? We're probably going to be in the area for 3 days or so.

Also, anyone have any favorite photo spots in those locations (or on the way) or composition tips for sand dunes?

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2016 at 07:47 PM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands

Wayne, you will need to be checking the White Sands website for closures (due to missile testing). They often don't know until shortly before. If it's open, you can camp in the dunes (have to walk a bit to camp as car camping is not allowed), which is the only way to get sunrise/sunset shots there. It can often get windy in winter. Wind + sand....... The cranes will probably be at Bosque del Apache, a few hours north, so that could be a good alternative if White Sands doesn't work out.

Oct 19, 2016 at 07:31 AM
wayneng

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands

Thanks Monika. I didn't know about the missile testing....

For Carlsbad Caverns, anyone know what the shooting conditions are like in the caves?

Oct 24, 2016 at 02:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

John Zeman
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands

I've been to Carlsbad caverns twice, the last time being in 2010. At that time they allowed you to take tripods into the caverns with you and as far as I know they still do. I don't recall if flash was allowed or not but I do know I never used one and I'm very happy with the way my photos turned out (example below). While the caverns are lit the lights are low so auto focus wasn't reliable (I had my camera set to manual everything).

Nov 01, 2016 at 10:43 PM
chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands

I've been to White Sands in February and got in prior to sunrise. You need to pre-scout a composition the prior day so that you go directly to the spot for you sunrise photo. It was cold in February before the sun came up and there was a nasty wind.

Nov 01, 2016 at 11:14 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands

BTW camping in White Sands is primitive camping so be prepared. You have to get a camping permit before they close each evening.

Nov 05, 2016 at 05:16 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password