New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · LX100 vs Fuji 18-55mm

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LX100 vs Fuji 18-55mm

Hey folks, I'm going to Vietnam end of this year and I'm gearing up a bit. Going along with me so far is a Coolpix A and I'm looking for a zoom. My FF Nikon gear will not be making this trip. Just way too much stuff for how hot and how much walking around we'll be doing. I am going to have a small backpack with me and want to go light.

I'll be taking either an E-1 with a Fuji 18-55mm or a LX100. On the used market, the Fuji lens vs the LX100 are about $50-$75 apart so I'm debating with myself what I should go for.

The size, 24mm focal range, and WIFI I think goes well for the LX100 but I get a better EVF, X-Trans, Fuji JPGs, and 16mpx vs 12mpx on the E-1. Hmmm... of these the 24mm you get on the LX100 is really the critical part for me. I'll likely mostly be using either camera at it's widest and next most at the long end.

I was surprised that the 4mpx difference between the two is actually a bit significant when it comes to printing 20x30 so I guess the mpx counts here more than other occasions.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:47 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LX100 vs Fuji 18-55mm

The 18-55 will yield a bit more detail, especially at the edges stopped down. The LX100 has a good lens that is very sharp in the center, but the edges and corners have a bit of smearing, owing mainly to massive barrel distortion that is corrected (even in the RAW file by most converters) at the wide end.

That said, the pocketability may really come in more handy. If you aren't planning on bringing anything else lens wise, I'd probably just go with the LX100.

Another possible option is to pick up the super cheap, but surprisingly decent Fuji 16-50mm XC. It's not quite as good as the 18-55, but it's not far off either, and it has the 24mm equivalent starting wide-angle.

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:35 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LX100 vs Fuji 18-55mm

Yeah, I've shot with the 16-50mm XC before on an M-1. I liked it a lot but what I found a bit lacking was the micro-contrast. It has ample macro contrast out of the box but micro details I found slightly lacking. I think it's still a possible viable option though.

Oct 18, 2016 at 04:14 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.