1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

Microdol

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

DaveGershon wrote:
This is not sports related....

I think the best or worst example of this was a Parent from the local Baseball team (we will call him "Tom"), tells me a story which he is very prowd of.

He hired his Brother-in-law to shoot his Daughter's senior pictures. The Brother-in-law setup the shoot and posed "Tom's" daugther and took a bunch of shots. So "Tom" stands back with his Rebel Camera and kit lens and takes pictures at the same time. Once they are done, "Tom" goes out and get's his own pictures printed and tells his Brother-in-law he does not need
...Show more

1) I would not allow people to do that. Yes, some have tried, and I have told them 'If you are going to do that, then have at it, and I am outta here'. Snotty? yes, but I have my scruples to protect.
---------------------------------------------

mikekeating wrote:
Dave, I have that happen to me on the sidelines. I have a few parents from opposing teams that will follow me around the field, pretty much stand right behind me, take some pictures and ask to compare the photos as the game is going on . . .the first time it happened I showed a picture (I always like educating people and helping them take better photos), but it was basically someone shooting in auto mode (not even P) and wondering why their kids were blurry, but the rest of the field looked great.

2) Same as 1) almost, but when I find folks doing that, I simply walk away to another position, when they have asked me how I am shooting, I just say 'trial and error'. If they push harder, I say 'I dunno, it's on automatic'. So I lied, big deal.

Sep 11, 2017 at 04:16 AM
wsalopek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

markedman: "Why do you charge so much? It's just digital."

fredmaurer: "Can you use my card in your camera?"

---------

Oh

my

Gawd.

--

Bill

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:36 AM
glort
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

wsalopek wrote:
markedman: "Why do you charge so much? It's just digital.

One I had from a loud and self important woman standing at my event trailer at a very busy time was " $30 for some pictures is ridiculous, how much does a CD cost? Not even $1."

My Reply pointing behind me: "Cd's cost me about .20C in bulk but all that camera gear there cost over 20 Grand and this trailer, computers and equipment to burn those CD's cost another 20. "
You know you have them well and truly stuffed when they don't even offer up a stupid reply.

The exchange was heard by a number of people and it became a standing joke at that club
with a number of them that would come up and say something like " A CD only costs 20 cents right?"
Sometimes insults backfire and do you a world of good rather than any harm.

Going against the grain, at first I got a bit shitty at people following and standing beside me taking pics and asking about camera settings. Then I started realising they were coming and buying pics. One guy was a vet with far better gear than mine. We'd both be standing there on the sideline photographing his kids with me telling him what to do and having a chat.

At the end of every event, there he would be going through the pics buying every digital image we took and having a bunch printed.

If we " Only" got $300 out of him on any given day, I'd be wondering what we did wrong.
We soon learned who his kids were, what class they competed in and when they were on we'd be on the radios directing every shooter to cover them. The shots would then be put in his own folder on the Vstations and if they were all busy, I had a spare in the trailer window and would bring the pics up for him. It was a given he'd buy them all but he always wanted to look through to see which ones he wanted as prints.

I loved that man and his kids. We all did.
Far and away best customer in my whole time doing sports.

Sep 18, 2017 at 09:27 PM
glort
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

My latest "law" from the last couple of years just photographing my daughter playing soccer.

No matter how perfect the moment captured and the peak action with every technicality being perfect, she will always complain about the look on her face, the position of her hair, the fact she is wearing no makeup, her uniform looking wrinkled or not sitting right or some other irrelevant factor that I have absoloutley no control over and deem a brilliant shot completely unacceptable to post on FB because of these uncontrollable factors.

I post them up anyway now.
She complains till the pic gets 150 likes in 3 hours and then it's OK but she's still not happy she wasn't looking better.... like in a fashion model kinda better.

Sep 18, 2017 at 09:34 PM
artyphoto

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

I have the rule of intersection, the line between the photographer & the action is intersected by another person.

Parent, "Can you send me that photo?" Me, "I can't live on free." She did buy a 3x5.

Athlete or fan looking at their photo, "Can I take a picture of your camera screen?" (Me, "No.")

About 10 years ago, after commenting about placing in the top 3 for sports photos a few times at the Iowa Newspaper Association, the adult at the game looked at my equipment (30D with grip & 70-200 mk1) and said, "If I had equipment like that I would win awards too."

While shooting with the 400, one fan comments "I bet you can see the moon with that." Then, the other fan says, "I bet he can see Mars with that thing."

Fan, "How do you make the fence disappear in your photos?" Me, "Quantum displacement."

Sep 19, 2017 at 04:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

glort
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

artyphoto wrote:
About 10 years ago, after commenting about placing in the top 3 for sports photos a few times at the Iowa Newspaper Association, the adult at the game looked at my equipment (30D with grip & 70-200 mk1) and said, "If I had equipment like that I would win awards too."

Same as My mates shocker of a former girlfriend.
Got me to do headshots of her for her website and business cards. Liked the pictures and commented how my camera must be really good because she hated pics of herself but the ones I did of her were always great.
Mate tells her, "yeah, it's the camera because over 20 years experience makes no difference at all."

Later when eating dinner, I said to my Chef mate, " This is delicious, you must have really good pots and pans". We laughed, she sat there with her usual chooks Bum face.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:46 PM
wsalopek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

glort wrote:
Later when eating dinner, I said to my Chef mate, " This is delicious, you must have really good pots and pans". We laughed, she sat there with her usual chooks Bum face.

Good one!

--

Bill

Sep 21, 2017 at 01:26 AM
markedman
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

Love this one:
A new model camera just came out so unless you have that, the one you have now which has done the same job perfectly for years will suddenly become unable to photograph the self same sports which haven't changed since your grandfather played them as a kid.

This is what I call: "bright shiny object" syndrome. Otherwise known as "I-Phone fever" I have had guys who work for me go into more debt because Canon came out with a new (whatever). I ask the old fashioned question: "what was wrong with your old camera?" (nothing). "Will this new camera open up new opportunities or allow you to charge more?" (No) To summarize the logic: It's new and I must have it NOW and pay full price for it. Another brilliant business decision.

Oct 04, 2017 at 02:50 PM
CorsairVelo

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

This is a great thread in a self-mutilation kind of way :-) I really like the chef analogy.... gonna use that a bunch.

The one positive I've experienced through sports gigs, while not money makers by any means, is that they have occasionally led to paying gigs. I shot a local gymnastics team at the State meet, ridiculously awful lighting, but managed some great shots above ISO 10,000. The lighting was so dim that any iPhone captures were absolutely worthless (a silent cheer rang out!) ... which lead to a big team photo opportunity at the gym at end of season (4 or five levels of kids, both boys and girls, 80 kids in all) and some family portrait shoots of appreciative parents. One family hired me to do studio portraits of all 6 kids plus a special composite image.

Purchased prints from the meet? Uh.... none. And did all this spin-off paid work compensate me for my sport gear? Uh, let's just say I'm probably still a good $10k in the hole :-)

But back to the Chef thing.... (shamelessly stealing from glort's post).

Parent: "Saw your images from last week's meet, wow, they were great. What kind of camera to you use?"

Response: "it's funny you ask and I will answer with a little story.... last week my wife and I went out to dinner at our favorite restaurant in town. My wife is a fantastic cook in her own right and we obviously eat home all the time, but we love this place as it always delivers something unique and almost magical; something that makes us ask ourselves 'how did the chef do this?' So one night, after a particularly special dish, I asked our server if the chef could please come to our table for a brief quick question. He did in fact stop by so I said to him.... 'sir, the special this evening was fantastic! My wife and I love it and cannot figure out how you created such flavor; so may I ask: with what type of stove did you prepare this?'

The moral of the store is: Be the (photographic) chef!

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:18 AM
glort
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

CorsairVelo wrote:
The one positive I've experienced through sports gigs, while not money makers by any means, is that they have occasionally led to paying gigs.

You are doing far better than me.

My law with this would be something like:

"The more questions someone asks and the longer they talk to you at the field about photographing something else for them, the greater the likelihood you will never hear from them again."

When I was doing my event trailer, I would occasionally get asked about covering other events but still far and away the work I got was the work I looked up on the net, rang the organisers and lined up myself.

Few weeks ago while shooting T&I, had a woman come up to me about shooting a portrait of her for her website. Asked if I did that and said I had shot glam portraits for over 20 years so I could make her look fantastic. then she asked about photographing her products she was selling online. Said I had done commercial and industrial work for years and rattled off a few of the companies I had worked for.

This got her very excited and she waited round till I shot the next 2 teams and spoke to me more about things in between. Came up to me when I was packing up and was talking some more and seemed real excited when I suggested alternatives to her ideas. Got my info, beckoned over the husband and told her some of my suggestions which he seemed to like and seemed like they would be on the phone at the stroke of 9am Monday morning.

Haven't heard a thing!
Forgot all about it myself till the other day when I was cleaning up the office and found some mis prints from that club.

Only thing I can remember doing though sports was a parent who ran a dance school. Came up to me to ask how to set her camera which I did for her and scored her dance school yearly pics.
Bout the only one I recall in 20 years.

OTOH, I have picked up LOADS of jobs through weddings that were advertising, glam shoots, real estate, catalogue work and other non wedding related.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:11 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password