Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

PureMichigan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

A little fun exercise for us all … looking at these posts over time there are certain recurring themes. Might be fun to capture them (succulently) in one place --- funny, serious profound and perhaps add to these over time. I’ll start with a few. Please add to the list.

• If someone tells you they, “love your shots of their son/daughter” screen shots of said pictures are already posted on their Facebook page and they will never buy an image.

• Evasive Myths: Big Foot, Loch Ness Monster, Yeti, Viable Business Model to Make Money Selling Action Sports Photos to Parents at the Youth or High School Level.

• At some point you will want a 400MM 2.8 lens. You will then look at the price. You will then want a used 400MM lens. Then you will ask yourself (or others) if manual focus 400MM lenses are an option.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:02 PM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

For HS and "utes" Sports:

• You can't beat FREE! It doesn't matter if your images are tack sharp with perfect composition.

• The game changer shots DO NOT SELL for HS/utes sports. The HS athlete will screen shot the photo and it will be used in the yearbooks, etc, but it will not be bought.

• The shots of the benchwarmer kids daydreaming on the sidelines DO SELL!

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:53 PM
glort
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

* How much should I charge?

* I love taking pictures so it doesn't matter if i don't make any money out of it until I realise I'm not making enough to cover gear replacement. Then, after educating everyone around me that pics are worth nothing, I'll come asking for the magic bullet having already trashed the market for myself or anyone else to make a decent return for their time.

* Unless I sell my images at give away prices, no one will buy them.
Once I establish myself, then I will raise my prices. ( I think this one comes under Comedy!)

* What's the best site to sell pics online?

* A new model camera just came out so unless you have that, the one you have now which has done the same job perfectly for years will suddenly become unable to photograph the self same sports which haven't changed since your grandfather played them as a kid.

* Did I mention the " How much should I charge" question? That gets asked a bit!

* Should I get this lens or that, both of which have differences unperceivable by the human eye let alone my clients, but can be detected by scientific equipment and may give me more cred and social acceptance with other shooters on forums.

* How Muc..... ahhh, forget it!

PS......

Nearly forgot......

* The parent with the most useless sloth of a kid on the team that barely ever moves on the field will always be the one that complains you never got a good shot of their kid or asks why there are so many of other kids that do put in and hardly any of their kid..... All of which you got are exactly the same because they never do anything!

* Similarly, with T&I, it is always the Kid that arrived late, looks like they got beat with an ugly stick and doesn't look like they even combed their hair or washed their face this week that has the whining parent that isn't happy with the pics.
When questioned, said parent will never have an actual reason why the pics are no good, Just that they don't like them.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:55 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

I was shooting a High School football game last weekend. A parent and past good youth sports client (and budding MWC photographer) saw me at the game and asked me to shoot some images of her athlete. I tagged around 20 images of him in my MaxPreps gallery. She posted screen shots of all my photos to FB complete with MP watermark and copyright notice, tagged me in the post and asked for a "package deal".... Come on man!!!!

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:49 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

You may have a camera, but they have a license to STEAL

Oct 18, 2016 at 04:50 PM
MikalWGrass
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

1. The parent you do the favor for by shooting a few for free, will always hire another photographer to do more formal sports shots, no matter how much the parent says she likes the photos.

2. In water polo, the ref will always walk in front of the camera when the action is the fiercest.

3. I second most every other post.

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:28 PM
leewoolery
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

Frequent and recent conversations:

-"web" and "sales" should never be used in the same sentence with regards to youth sports photography.

"Can you send me some pics of my kid from today's game?"

"Make sure you get pictures of number ______ and I'll buy everyone of them?"

"What speed film are you using?"

"I was going to purchase some action photos of my kids but your prices are way too high!
PWC or ABC Amateur Photography only charges a $1.00 for a 4 x 6!"

"Can I just download these for free from your website and make prints like PWC allows?"

"Can you get me media access for the games so I can get closer to the action for pictures of my kid?"

"How come your pictures are so nice and clear and the ones from the camera my dad left me are always dark and blurry?"

"Is this your hobby?"

"Oh...I am just here shooting as the team mom...I give away all of my pictures for free!"

In reference to a 400 f/2.8 lens:

"I think you need a bigger lens"
"My uncle has a camera just like that"
"I bet that thing cost more than my first car!"
"I bet that lens cost a thousand dollars?"
"Did you get a picture of the full moon the other night?"

"How soon will these pictures be on your website? I tried your website at halftime but they weren't there yet?"

"I tried to print a poster off of a picture from your website but the lab said it was too low a resolution and I need a release from you so it can be printed and the watermark must be removed? I need this for a birthday present tomorrow!"

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:52 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

• Somewhere in your city ordinance book there is a code that says all yellow school buses must be parked alongside – and parallel to -- the chain link fence surrounding the football field. I swear it must be a universal code
• You can’t salvage a bad sports photograph through the overuse of filters, HDR and Lightroom sliders, although many try mightily to do so.

Edited on Oct 18, 2016 at 08:58 PM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:59 PM
dennisgolfer
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

This thread makes me cry

Oct 18, 2016 at 08:50 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

Ralph Thompson wrote:
I was shooting a High School football game last weekend. A parent and past good youth sports client (and budding MWC photographer) saw me at the game and asked me to shoot some images of her athlete. I tagged around 20 images of him in my MaxPreps gallery. She posted screen shots of all my photos to FB complete with MP watermark and copyright notice, tagged me in the post and asked for a "package deal".... Come on man!!!!

camera & lenses are to shoot as computer & internet connection are to screen capture :-)

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

Can you show me how to setup my camera (Costco special) to take shots like yours?

I have to laugh inside, but always need to remember that not everybody is a camera nerd like us. I'm sure we've all walked up and (unknowingly) said some pretty ridiculous things to other "experts" in their field of work.

I take it all with a grain and educate as I go.

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:28 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

A doctor once said to me... "You take great pictures, what camera do you use?"
To which I responded... "Thanks, you are a great surgeon, what scalpel do you use?"

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:04 AM
ThePictureGuy

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

dennisgolfer wrote:
This thread makes me cry

There's no crying...there's no crying in sports photography! (Trying to channel my inner Tom Hanks)

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:42 AM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

If your kid is playing and you want to shoot, more than likely, the field is running north south thereby rendering heavy shadows across faces in the afternoon son.

Oct 19, 2016 at 02:48 AM
ThePictureGuy

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

P Alesse wrote:
To which I responded... "Thanks, you are a great surgeon, what scalpel do you use?"

While you were at it, did you ask him to try to resuscitate youth sports action photography?

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:21 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

P Alesse wrote:

Cause that is the same

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:40 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

What's wrong with taking a photo or video of my kid on your view stations?

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:21 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

gschlact wrote:
If your kid is playing and you want to shoot, more than likely, the field is running north south thereby rendering heavy shadows across faces in the afternoon son.

No matter what side of the field you stand on or how many times you change sides or position, 95% of the play will always be as far away from you as possible with the exception of the other 5% of play suddenly coming right to the sideline in front of you where it is too close to get a shot other than with a 10mm lens.

Oct 19, 2016 at 04:40 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

ThePictureGuy wrote:
There's no crying...there's no crying in sports photography! (Trying to channel my inner Tom Hanks)

At least till your accountant gives you the bad news on how much money you lost this year doing it.

Oct 19, 2016 at 04:43 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Immutable Laws of Sports Photosgraphy

Weasel_Loader wrote:
Can you show me how to setup my camera (Costco special) to take shots like yours?

Yeah but the last time I had someone ask me that, she was REALLY hot and I managed to get the gig to do her large dance school End of year pics which I made a fortune out of!

Oct 19, 2016 at 04:45 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password