FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Vertical grips and weddings

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vertical grips and weddings

Considering trying out a vertical grip, but have never shot with one. Here are my thoughts:

1) Hoping to help get straighter lines with portrait orientation shots by having a more comfortable and ergonomic hand position.

2) Not really needing the battery life as I seldom change batteries during a wedding day.

3) Concerned it will be a pain in the ass to use with the moneymaker.

For reference, this would be on 1 or both D800s.

Edited on Oct 18, 2016 at 05:02 PM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2016 at 01:55 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vertical grips and weddings

Not sure how to works on the Nikon side of things.

But as a Canon shooter, I never trusted my grips in terms of their physical attachment to the camera body. With some force, you can flex the plastic enough that the camera will lose power. And with a MoneyMaker, all that weight is pulling the grip away from the camera body and lens.

I was burned once last year when I lost all the images in my buffer because of sudden power loss. I went gripless this year.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:03 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vertical grips and weddings

BSPhotog wrote:
Considering trying out a vertical grip, but have never shot with one. Here are my thoughts:

1) Hoping to help get straighter lines with portrait orientation shots by having a more comfortable and ergonomic hand position.

2) Not really needing the batter life as I seldom change batteries during a wedding day.

3) Concerned it will be a pain in the ass to use with the moneymaker.

For reference, this would be on 1 or both D800s.

They are nice for shooting verticals but I don't shoot enough of them to warrant adding them to my D750. Prior to the D750 I had shot with the D3, D3s and D4 through the years but I don't miss the grip I actually prefer the lighter camea body over having the grips for the few verticals that I shoot.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:14 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vertical grips and weddings

I have always had Motor drives or grips on my camera's just so I can get a good hold on the bloody things. This idea of small bodies may be good for some people but they are a pain in the backside for me with my " Shrek sausage" hands as my kids used to say.

Without the grip I smother the things and can never really get a good hold of the things. With a decent size lens and a flash, no way I could hold the cam confidently or comfortably without a grip and I wish the ones they made were bigger still.

My last cam I got I gave one of the Chinese knock off grips a go. I know that would be blasphemy for a lot of shooters but I have had zero problems with it and it was half the price of a canon grip With 2 batteries and a remote.
When I do my next upgrade i'll be going for another Chinese cheapie because I have never had a problem with any knockoff gear I have bought yet.

In days gone by when cards were smaller, I used to put one battery in one side of the grip and store flash cards in the other side where the other battery should have gone. I always knew where they were then and no chance of falling out of pockets or getting lost.

Having the extra button for vertical grips can be handy but I don't always use it and have to sometimes turn it off when the bottom of my hand keeps contacting it and tripping the camera when I am holding it horizontally.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:20 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vertical grips and weddings

Ive used grips all year with my MM last year, with a D800 and D810.

Then I got two D750 and didnt want to spend on two new grips, so don't use them anymore.

They work fine with the MM. Never had a problem.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:43 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vertical grips and weddings

I've gone through a few. I had one for a Canon elan 7n and loved it, it made the camera so much more comfortable to hold, but that grip was very small. I had one for the Canon 20D and hated it. Waste of money, it was way too bulky.

I currently use a grip with my Canon 5Dmk2 and sort of like it. It does make the camera more comfortable to hold and really does provide balance for heavier lenses. In portrait orientation it's a very big difference in comfort, well worth the money. I don't remember why I bought it because the grip is similar to the 20D grip, but for some reason on the 5D it just feels more natural.

Also, I've tried add on grips for Leica's as well and they have all been terrible.

Oct 18, 2016 at 04:27 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vertical grips and weddings

For weddings, I do and don’t. The main thing that stops me though is having a camera body attached to a grip then attached to a strap. A bit scary. For fashion work that is 85% portrait orientation I use it because it makes shooting so so much easier. Weddings are more like 85% landscape orientation so the benefits are less.

It does give me a really nice place to rest the heel of the left hand which is nice for heavier lenses and the D800 has an awful body and it stop my hand feeling like it is being to slip off the bottom. I never run a battery in it, too much weight. I used to use it a lot with the 70-200 but now I use the crappy tripod mount thingy for my left hand to easily use the zoom ring.

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:03 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Vertical grips and weddings

I use grips for better grip but do not use any of the buttons and just shoot portrait like there is no grip.

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:37 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Vertical grips and weddings

I can't shoot without them. That's just me.

Oct 18, 2016 at 06:12 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Vertical grips and weddings

Funny thing is, I have them on both my 5D3's - but I handle my camera as if they weren't on, (ie I twist my wrist rather than benefiting from the vertical grip properties).

I just prefer a bigger camera. It's more comfortable. Nice to not worry about battery life.

That said, when I do shoot with the grip properly, I find it is easier to get steadier shots. But I find the wheel at the back is not quite as well placed and it makes me slower - particularly with my BR strap attached.

I take the weight of my camera via the lens and merely "steer" the camera with the body, so physical strength isn't an issue for me.

Oct 18, 2016 at 07:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Vertical grips and weddings

Portrait orientation is great for prints but results in black bars on both sides when adding to DVD slideshows or web shows. Cropping a Portrait to Landscape has always turned a full-length portrait into a Landscape headshot.

It stops the "Why are the black bars there? Can you get rid of them?" So now I shoot in Landscape mode and don't worry about it. I do use a grip, solely for the extended battery life.

If other photographers have a better way, I'd love to hear it.

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:05 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Vertical grips and weddings

FrancisK7 wrote:
Ive used grips all year with my MM last year, with a D800 and D810.

Then I got two D750 and didnt want to spend on two new grips, so don't use them anymore.

They work fine with the MM. Never had a problem.

Did you use the longer portrait sliders or the regular ones? I use the Manfrotto RC-2 plate instead of the little Holdfast 1/4-20 adapter. Not sure if that will be to cumbersome with a grip.

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:17 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Vertical grips and weddings

Shooting mirrorless, I also use grips for weddings. But even when I was DSLR I preferred the pro bodies. It encourages me to shoot more vertical photos (something I tend not to do much of without a grip) and better balances with bigger lenses.

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:36 AM
petr vokurek
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Vertical grips and weddings

I used to use grips all the time. Then, last year, I dropped my gripped 5d3 and the grip broke (body works fine). I have never used a grip since and love my 5d3 in their bare form- for weddings anyway. That said, if I shot portraits all day I would get one as you donīt have to twist the arm with one. Part of the reason I donīt use them now is I carry my cameras on a double Spider Holster strap. Adding two grips would add unnecessary weight to the already heavy belt.

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:26 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Vertical grips and weddings

I stopped using them about 5 yrs ago, in hopes of shooting fewer vertical images. It didn't help. I wish Canon would put an alarm system to jolt me if I starting shooting, say, more than 40% vertical images in an afternoon.

To be honest, I only used them back when all pro DSLRs were brick-sized and I thought a grip and big lens hood made my inexpensive gear look more upmarket. This, too, shall pass.

Oct 19, 2016 at 03:01 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Vertical grips and weddings

I love shooting two bodies with no grip. battery tends to last all day, i can shoot portrait orientation fine.. and it's lightweight! grips are an overall disadvantage IMO

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:58 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Vertical grips and weddings

I found a deal on an MB-D12. It arrived today and, so far, I despise it. Perhaps one of those things that is better in theory than practice. I'm still debating if I should bring it to this weekend's wedding or not even bother. Honestly, I'll probably just list it here ASAP and get it resold. Never know until you try...

Nov 02, 2016 at 08:43 PM
eke2k6
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Vertical grips and weddings

I can't shoot without a grip. It makes my camera that much more comfortable to hold.

Nov 03, 2016 at 03:21 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Vertical grips and weddings

I shoot at least 25% of my shots in portrait mode and this would be a real pain without a grip on a camera like a D800. There is some flexing between the battery pack and the camera but the heaviest lens I will be using on the camera that is going to be mounted to a flash bracket (which in turn is mounted to the tripod for the group shots) is a 24-70mm f/2.8 and so not a big deal.

Nov 03, 2016 at 09:05 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password