Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2016 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

tgillespie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

LeeSimms wrote:
There's a certain venue where we shoot 20-40 weddings a year and have been doing so for 10+ years. It's a lovely spot, but the bride's prep room (actually a master bedroom of a large Queen Anne style home) has the worse mixed temp you could possibly imagine. Afternoon sun one one side met with medium oak trim and the most awful autumn-themed wallpaper and purple (!) lamp shades. For some reason, chicks dig it (once had a bride from Tokyo select the venue just for that room) but it's a bitch to balance for. I've processed files from every
...Show more

Might this be the one?

Oct 26, 2016 at 03:49 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

How did you know? lol

Nice, Trent — the monochrome solution

Oct 26, 2016 at 03:52 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

One of the owners remarked to me, "if the light was SO bad then your photos would be awful and nobody would book the venue." She had a point.

Oct 26, 2016 at 04:08 PM
tgillespie
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

LeeSimms wrote:
One of the owners remarked to me, "if the light was SO bad then your photos would be awful and nobody would book the venue." She had a point.

Shooting there so often, you should order them a bulk pack of daylight balanced light bulbs. Actually, I might go even cooler once it bounces off all the wood and wallpaper.

Oct 26, 2016 at 04:14 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

5d4 for me. It's equal in high ISO (or so close as to be irrelevant), MUCH better low ISO, lighter, MUCH quieter, lots more resolution for cropping.

The new AWB mode is great and also you can specify a specific back button for one shot and a different back button for ai servo, which is superb for quick switching between the two.

The buffer is the big let down compared to the 1dx. That's my biggest disappointment - but only for confetti really.

Nov 02, 2016 at 12:24 PM
tgillespie
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
The buffer is the big let down compared to the 1dx. That's my biggest disappointment - but only for confetti really.

How bad is it? Is it only noticeable with the SD? A big part in me upgrading to the 1DX was not buffering out during moments.

Nov 02, 2016 at 12:38 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

I’m half tempted to buy both a 1DX2 and a 5D4 (selling some lesser used equipment to fund it).

Always wanted a 1D body. But the 5D4 seems like a perfect all-round wedding body.

Nov 02, 2016 at 01:22 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

ZachOly wrote:
I’m half tempted to buy both a 1DX2 and a 5D4 (selling some lesser used equipment to fund it).

Always wanted a 1D body. But the 5D4 seems like a perfect all-round wedding body.

yep ... it is.

Nov 02, 2016 at 01:35 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

I haven't hit the buffer issue with 95+ speed SanDisk cards, but maybe I'm not hitting it that hard — I really don't spray that often.

All-round is the key here. Not the best DR, not the best AF, not the best resolution, but a nice mix of close-to-top performance on all those marks in a body with Canon's 5 series build quality. Plus, it's actually lighter than the camera it replaced — yay.

I still prefer the MarkIII body design (grip and handsome prism hump) but that nit pick didn't stop me from eBaying our MarkIII's and getting 3 Mark4's. We got our last pair of MarkIII's for 3800 grey market and sold them this week for 3600 total so the use of two MarkIII's for a year was $100 a body. Not bad.

As good as the DPAF and HD video is from the MarkIV's, we're not going to use them (much) for video. We're migrating away from Canon for video and going to the GH4. Panasonic wins. Ease of use, ease of editing with their codecs and great IQ. Plus, the lenses are all very good and you can pick from native 4/3's and Canon with metabones (complete with DOF and angle correction with the SpeedBoost).

Nov 02, 2016 at 02:26 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

tgillespie wrote:
How bad is it? Is it only noticeable with the SD? A big part in me upgrading to the 1DX was not buffering out during moments.

From what I saw, with the very very very very fastest cards, it's improved. However, I bought very fast cards and still reach the buffer too quickly. It's not *much* better than the 5d3 in that regard.

I think they messed up with this. It wasn't necessary to keep the buffer down. When I write my official review, it'll be one of my key points.

The other thing that would have helped would have been faster card slots, but that didn't happen either.

Nov 03, 2016 at 06:12 AM
Yaryman
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

Does the 5D4 have the speed/buffer limiting like the 5D3 because of writing to SD card.

Without writing to the SD card on the 5D3, one could get 27 RAW files before hitting the buffer
shooting at 6 frames per second when writing to a high speed 1066X compact flash card.

That never came into play at a wedding, but when shooting NFL games with the 5D3, I knew there
was a limit to how long I could hold down the shutter.

Nov 03, 2016 at 08:26 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

After having editing a lot of 5d4 files I can say that they are somewhat unusual.
On their own they are fine.
If you have to match them to another camera....good luck.
Once a lot of people start switching from the 5d3 etc. I am going to have to do a lot of preset adjustment.
Colors are different, saturation, color depth, blacks, etc.
They just do not process the same as other Canon files.
To soon to tell if that is good or bad.

They push better than 5d3 files and 1dx2 files but they still cannot be hammered on very much.

IMO the best file Canon has going right now is the 5DsR. Might not have the DR but they are really nice in terms of color fidelity and color depth.

Nov 03, 2016 at 11:29 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

I use camera standard profile for the 5d3 and found that with the 5d4, camera portrait profile combined with two small hue adjustments in the color panel givea a rather comparable match with 5d3 files in terms of color. But indeed they do process a bit different.

Nov 04, 2016 at 02:25 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

hardlyboring wrote:
They push better than 5d3 files and 1dx2 files but they still cannot be hammered on very much.

From what I've read, the 1DX2 is on par with the 5D4.

And from what I've edited of the 1DX2, is miles ahead of the 5D3 in terms of being able to push the files.

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:07 AM
hvu2012
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

If you have budget, then 5D IV otherwise, get 5D III. I shoot wedding with 2 5D III throughout the day.

Nov 07, 2016 at 11:34 AM
DONIV
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

tgillespie wrote:
I have zero interest in working with people that hire me based on the premise that I'm using a pro body. Such a dumb reason.

his point was staying consistent with your "high-end" branding (if you want to be perceived that way). you can work it part of sales as, "we use canon's flagship camera"...ect. builds confidence and trust. very important when you are charging more than most. we do it all the time.

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:48 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

hardlyboring wrote:
After having editing a lot of 5d4 files I can say that they are somewhat unusual.
On their own they are fine.
If you have to match them to another camera....good luck.
Once a lot of people start switching from the 5d3 etc. I am going to have to do a lot of preset adjustment.
Colors are different, saturation, color depth, blacks, etc.
They just do not process the same as other Canon files.
To soon to tell if that is good or bad.

They push better than 5d3 files and 1dx2 files but they still cannot be hammered on
...Show more

Doug ... I guess I need to look again at my next wedding. I am not seeing this difference between the files - meaning different colors. I am using camera standard profile and not the adobe standard profile.

Not sure what you mean by hammering.... the 5DmkIV files have some good latitude ... particularly at lower ISO's.
Not as mushy as the 5DmkIII ... and not as extreme as the Nikon. But colors can get weird on nikon files when really pushing.

I do have this magenta cast on my 5Ds when shooting small raw. this sucks.

Mark

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:35 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

I matched a 5D4 wedding to D3s/D610/D700 associates files without complaint. Can't speak for Sony.

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:42 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

well I've worked with the 5d IV for a couple of events now and dang, I like that camera. It's fast, and I love the live view and touch focus. In particular, the face detection and tracking work very very well in dark rooms and I actually prefer to use that type of focus sometimes over the regular one. I know the 1DX II can do this too, but it's much heavier and therefore not as practical to use for this application I think.

If Canon comes with a FF mirrorless, at least the focus will be awesome

Nov 11, 2016 at 04:42 AM
Jonesy
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon 1Dx vs Canon 5d MkIV?

which would you choose.. 5d4 or 1dx2 or both lol
or...2 - 5d4's

Mar 10, 2017 at 09:44 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.