Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

It took ten years, but I finally scored this special lighting fixture at less than full retail. To a world full of softboxes and umbrellas, I say: When they go soft, we go hard. Besides dishes like the Magnum, I also use the smaller Profoto fresnel (MultiSpot) for a dramatic key. This larger fresnel is a converted Arri as used in continuous lighting for movies, and takes all the Arri accessories (I have the barndoors). Of course, as offered by Profoto, this thing has a xenon flash tube and is plugged into a pack. No images yet, but I can show off the unit, so call this an extended unboxing party...

Profoto FresnelSpot next to the wimpy SB-5000:

Coverage between zoom and flood settings. The illumination drop in the center is half a stop:

Business end shows fresnel lens, and the stippling that smooths the light just so:

Goin' crazy!

Oct 18, 2016 at 06:20 AM
sharpblur

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

Congrats. I'm only on my second year of really wanting one.

Oct 18, 2016 at 06:46 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

I’d love one to be be able to re-create super sharp shadows imitating sunlight, the zoom would be nice to control spill too. How much power does it eat up?

Right now I use an old sunpak 622 with a tiny bare-bulb to get a point source with a snoot around it. Godox 360 would also work.

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:16 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

Is the flash tube wrapped around the modeling lamp like a Speedo DeSisti?

Oct 18, 2016 at 04:13 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

Mark_L wrote:
I’d love one to be be able to re-create super sharp shadows imitating sunlight, the zoom would be nice to control spill too. How much power does it eat up?

Right now I use an old sunpak 622 with a tiny bare-bulb to get a point source with a snoot around it. Godox 360 would also work.

Bare bulb makes an excellent point-source key (I use an Acute head). The problem is inefficiency as most of the light isn't going the right direction. Fresnels are highly directional and much more efficient, but less sharp than sunlight. In fact, the shadow transition of a stippled fresnel is the prettiest of all light sources. If you want the hard edges of sunlight, and a reasonable depth-of-light, a projector is needed: Profoto has the ZoomSpot for a mere $11K. Cough.

Dishes and silver umbrellas remain the choice for maximum efficiency..

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:08 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

voidsherpa wrote:
Is the flash tube wrapped around the modeling lamp like a Speedo DeSisti?

I don't know Speedotron designs, but Profoto makes a point of keeping the halogen modelling bulb coincident with the xenon tube. Both fresnel models use a flash tube that looks like a bent-over horse shoe, with the halogen tucked inbetween. The smaller MultiSpot:

FresnelSpot:

I was surprised and impressed to discover the frosted dome inside the housing. It also appears to be the standard UV-cutting variety, creating a superior spectrum. I was reluctant to remove the dome but the same bulb arrangement is evident. Over time, I've become less concerned about the minutiae of modelling lights, and use them rarely. Countering iris dilation is perhaps the most important draw.

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:41 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

rico wrote:
I don't know Speedotron designs, but Profoto makes a point of keeping the halogen modelling bulb coincident with the xenon tube.

It's the same/similar, keeps the modeling light accurate with the strobe flash. Good info to have, thanks for letting me know.

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:11 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

Waiting for my first portrait sitter with this fixture. Meanwhile, some tabletop:

Direct FresnelSpot as key at 1.5m, reflector on other side, ISO 100, f/8, 50Ws.

Oct 25, 2016 at 03:51 AM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

Cool.
I didn't know Profoto had a Fresnel attachment as well, tempted to buy a cheap Profoto just to add the attachment to it.

I've been testing the continuous LED fresnel on myself and its pretty good but can be hard to not flinch on its higher power settings.

Oct 25, 2016 at 04:22 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

@neoshazam, that's the (apparently) secret downside of continuous light. From Sunny 16, we know that ISO 100 requires a setting of 1/100sec @ f/16, or 1/200sec @ f/11. I consider the latter about right for portraits with a 100mm lens. f/5.6 is getting really dicey with DOF, and even that is brighter than a light overcast or open shadow outdoors. These light levels are EV 6 higher than office lighting, meaning near-blinding. The fallacy of continuous lighting—LED or otherwise—is thinking that the brightness of the sun in a studio is a good idea.

As for fresnels, yes, Profoto has many options including three that can be attached to a head or monolight. The 12" version is available in similar form from other vendors (e.g. Hensel), so one doesn't have to buy into the Profoto system to enjoy this special kind of illumination.

Oct 26, 2016 at 07:43 PM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

Unfortunatly those attachment for standard heads are not the real deal. I put an Elinchrom S35 on my Profoto ProHead and the results were disappointing. Now i have Profoto Multispot and ProFresnel and the results are good, much closer to a real Arri Fresnel.

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:08 AM
sharpblur

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

Dergiman wrote:
Unfortunatly those attachment for standard heads are not the real deal. I put an Elinchrom S35 on my Profoto ProHead and the results were disappointing. Now i have Profoto Multispot and ProFresnel and the results are good, much closer to a real Arri Fresnel.

What was the difference between Elinchrom S35 and ProFresnel?
I'm looking at some fresnel attachments but there is not a lot of real information/opinions, just a lot of advertising.
Thanks

Oct 27, 2016 at 09:12 AM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

rico wrote:
@neoshazam@, that's the (apparently) secret downside of continuous light. From Sunny 16, we know that ISO 100 requires a setting of 1/100sec @ f/16, or 1/200sec @ f/11. I consider the latter about right for portraits with a 100mm lens. f/5.6 is getting really dicey with DOF, and even that is brighter than a light overcast or open shadow outdoors. These light levels are EV 6 higher than office lighting, meaning near-blinding. The fallacy of continuous lighting—LED or otherwise—is thinking that the brightness of the sun in a studio is a good idea.

As for fresnels, yes, Profoto has many options
...Show more

Staring anywhere near the Fresnel light at higher power I realized how much less I normally blink since I spend a lot of time staring at a computer. Blinking helps to deal with it as well as doing closed eyes and then opening them since its just been self portraits on a timer. The big time power is useful when I shine it through lite panel diffusion.

Looks like the Hensels need a power pack and a quick search shows the affordable power packs (used) have temporarily disappeared.

Oct 27, 2016 at 05:14 PM
zurkzees
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

sharpblur wrote:
I'm looking at some fresnel attachments but there is not a lot of real information/opinions, just a lot of advertising.
Thanks

S35 - 35cm fresnel glass
spot/flood is achieved by turning a handle at the back.
Designed very much like the broncolor Flooter.

ProFresnel - 30cm fresnel glass
spot/flood is by sliding the profoto head in and out of the speedring
like all other profoto attachments

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:22 PM
sharpblur

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

zurkzees wrote:
S35 - 35cm fresnel glass
spot/flood is achieved by turning a handle at the back.
Designed very much like the broncolor Flooter.

ProFresnel - 30cm fresnel glass
spot/flood is by sliding the profoto head in and out of the speedring
like all other profoto attachments

Thanks for that. Beside the mechanical/operational difference in how these attachments work, I'm wondering why S35 produced disappointing results compared to ProFresnel? Both are supposed to mimic tungsten fresnels in effect and light they produce [sans colour temperature].
Thanks

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:05 AM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

sharpblur wrote:
Thanks

Sorry, mixed things up. I have Profoto Mulitspot and FresnelSpot. I guess Elinchrom S35 work similar to the ProFresnel. I had the impression that the flash tubes on the Profoto ProHead and B1 were not in the right spot inside the Elinchrom S35. I couldn´t get it to produce shadows with sharp transition zones.

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:12 AM
sharpblur

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

Dergiman wrote:
Sorry, mixed things up. I have Profoto Mulitspot and FresnelSpot. I guess Elinchrom S35 work similar to the ProFresnel. I had the impression that the flash tubes on the Profoto ProHead and B1 were not in the right spot inside the Elinchrom S35. I couldn´t get it to produce shadows with sharp transition zones.

Thanks. That's what I thought. I guess a lot of things can influence the effect like flash tube shape, position, distance and shape of reflective surface behind the tube,...
Sorry Rico for hijacking part of this thread. Just very curious about fresnels.

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:43 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

@sharpblur, no probs, fresnels are my fav lighting, so any discussion is fun.
@Dergiman, I would not expect a 30cm fresnel to generate hard shadows unless it was pulled way back. Of course, the light is directional, and shadows are well defined.

Oct 28, 2016 at 06:55 AM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Uh, oh, Profoto FresnelSpot!

rico wrote:
@Dergiman@, I would not expect a 30cm fresnel to generate hard shadows unless it was pulled way back. Of course, the light is directional, and shadows are well defined.

Yes, that´s why i bought the smaller MultiSpot.

Oct 28, 2016 at 08:11 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.