Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

ox0312
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

A question for Canon 1DX and now the 1DX mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only! )

What benefits you see with the newer model?

Is it worth the extra cost? with extra 2 mega pixels and few more points at F8. I am guessing that 4K is not a big deal for most

Share your reviews

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:03 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

Just go here and compare the features of each side-by-side:

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras

It is up to you to decide if the II is worth the extra cost.

Oct 17, 2016 at 09:55 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

So far it has been worth it to me.

Things I expected to like were the f/8 focusing and higher frame rate. The f/8 focusing was way better than I ever expected. It really feels no different than f/5.6 focusing.

Things I didn't expect but really like in the new one...

1) Shutter sound. It isn't quiet by any means but it is significantly less disturbing to subjects vs the 1DX. The silent High speed mode is even better but you lose FPS.

2) Red AF points. I never complained about the black points on the 1DX and my other bodies but after using the new red points it is a lot better. Nice to see the well lit point cluster as you are tracking in Servo.

3) Overall better AF tracking and response including a bit better in lower contrast subjects. I did some quick back to back tests between the 1DX and 1DX2 and just quick lock on to subjects at varying distances was better and especially going from way out of focus to focus was faster.

Things that aren't any better...high ISO....no really improvement there. Then of course there are things like video which so far I haven't even tried yet but I do plan to experiment with 60FPS 4K frame grabs at some point.

Overall, I'm glad I have the camera. I do enough f/8 shooting with 100-400/1.4 and 400DOII/2x and 600II/2x that the f/8 alone was why I went for the new camera. I'm keeping my 1DX as my backup for exotic trips but so far I haven't used it once since getting the Mk2.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:03 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

I concur with pretty much of what Geoff says - especially about the f/8 AF with all focus points. With the 400 DO II + 2XIII, arguably my best go to combo at the moment I get really tack sharp action shots (BIF). I was too busy shooting and traveling to post my pictures and comments after getting the 1DX II soon after a few comments with Geoff a short time ago.

Overall I feel more satisfied with the Mark II but I don't know how to quantify this in terms of dollars. It was worth it to me. I am feeling more and more inclined to sell the Mark I since it'll probably sit mostly idle. What's keeping me back is that I have no experience selling on this site.

Db

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:34 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

I could only afford the 1DXII by selling the 1DX first and just might do that, as 5D4 left me a wee bit underwhelmed. I was thinking if the 5D4 could do 9-10fps I'd sell 1DX, but given the extraordinary $5K price tag in Australia and the fact I can get 1DXII maybe for $7-7.5K and sell my 1DX for $4-4.5K, 1DXII looks better value to me and 1DXII AF will always be faster than 5D4.

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:57 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

I don't know why 4k video (8mp 1.4x crop jpg frame grab) wouldn't be a big deal for wildlife photographers.

Oct 18, 2016 at 01:16 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

therealthings wrote:
I don't know why 4k video (8mp 1.4x crop jpg frame grab) wouldn't be a big deal for wildlife photographers.

Sheer volume of data, unfamiliarity with how to process video, PC requirements to edit such high end video, might all put some people off.

Oct 18, 2016 at 01:42 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Sheer volume of data, unfamiliarity with how to process video, PC requirements to edit such high end video, might all put some people off.

'might' and 'some people', exactly. If you need that specific fast action shot you make sure you'll get it. Even if there is some learning involved. I strongly believe this feature is welcomed by a lot of photographers.

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:17 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

But then it isn't photography, is it?

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:36 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

Paul Mo wrote:
But then it isn't photography, is it?

Seriously?

Oct 18, 2016 at 04:12 AM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

therealthings wrote:
Seriously?

Most of us understand that he is simply making a distinction between photography and videography.

Oct 18, 2016 at 08:28 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

arbitrage wrote:
3) Overall better AF tracking and response including a bit better in lower contrast subjects. I did some quick back to back tests between the 1DX and 1DX2 and just quick lock on to subjects at varying distances was better and especially going from way out of focus to focus was faster.

Actually I would say that low contrast AF lock is more then a bit better on the 1DX2. It's one of the bigger performance gaps that I found on the mk2.

Oct 18, 2016 at 09:08 AM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

In poor light the MkII will focus on things you can barely see. In the dark and live view it will focus on things you can't see. Bloody amazing.

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:19 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

Good to hear its better in the dark. I haven't shot in all that dark so noticed some improvement with lower contrast subjects but that is in light ranging from very cloudy to sunny.

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:21 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

arbitrage wrote:
Good to hear its better in the dark. I haven't shot in all that dark so noticed some improvement with lower contrast subjects but that is in light ranging from very cloudy to sunny.

I have a lightly contrasted vase in my family room that with only a corner light on my 1Dx and 70-200 f/2.8 II would not focus on it. The 1DxII with a 1.4 tele will focus on the vase and is more accurate than the 1Dx in daylight on the same vase.

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:29 PM
ox0312
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

Thanks for feedback guys!

That exactly what I was thinking about the new camera as well. I am not sure how many scenario I will encounter where low light focusing will be an issue (specially wildlife scenarios). The only feature I would love to have is more focus points at F8 but that's obviously not enough of a justification to spends $3000 more on a camera (again it's IMO).

Love to have better high ISO but no (or very little) improvement there... also 12 frames/s is still faster than anything else around these days in DSLR world. If I were a given a choice to choose I would definitely go with 1DXII but I still think 1DX is great value for wildlife shooter - consider the $2500 price range in used market.

Oct 18, 2016 at 01:50 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

Another aspect of the 1DxII is its improved dynamic range. In the past I have had difficulty getting a decent photo of hawks and eagles against any kind of a bright sky with the 1Dx. Now I frequently shoot aircraft and birds in mid-day without even thinking about it.

I'm getting better developing these kinds of shots, but there just seems to be more latitude available in 1Dx MkII RAW files.

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:47 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

As much as I would like you to be right (I own the 1DX2 myself): At ISO 160 the 1DX2 has more than a stop better DR than the 1DX, however, at ISO 800 and above, they are equal. Since I typically start at ISO 1600 and above these gloomy days, the difference is negligible, to me :-)

Oct 18, 2016 at 04:05 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

Yes the DR is only improved below 800 and really probably only noticeable below 400. Even though many have complained about Canon's DR compared to competitors it has always only been below 400 where Nikon/Sony was better. The 3 newest Canon sensors have addressed this shortcoming for the most part. However, for wildlife shooters whom rarely shoot at these low ISOs the new DR improvements are of no use.

Oct 18, 2016 at 04:23 PM
Volks1470
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 1DX and now 1DX Mark II owners (Wildlife photographers only!)

I wonder whos numbers are more accurate. DXO Mark has the 1DX II ahead of the 1DX in dynamic range all the way up to ISO 3200.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon--EOS-1D-X-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-1Dx___1071_753

Oct 18, 2016 at 06:45 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.