FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · 85 1.4D Focus accuracy and shift

ilnonno
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 85 1.4D Focus accuracy and shift

BSPhotog wrote:
Hmm, interesting question that I'm not sure I can answer adequately. I do the majority of my wide open shooting at portrait distance and it is pretty reliable there in good light. I do my AF fine tuning on this lens from about 10' or so. Lots of variables including the AF system of the body you are using, light available, and relative size of the target.

Thanks again.
Purchase is, as I have written a couple post earlier, failed (seller won't answer even basic questions ).

In any case, next lens will most certainly be the 85 1.4ART, despite the incredible size.
It was a revelation, after years of frustration, to be able to calibrate through the Sigma Dock my 35ART and 50ART with different values for near, mid and far distances. After some fiddling, they are finally "almost" as reliable as the 70-200 VR II, and they are by far more reliable in focusing than any Nikon fast prime I have ever used (24/35/85 1.4G).

Bests, and thanks again for sharing your experience,
Lory

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:21 AM
lsutigerfan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 85 1.4D Focus accuracy and shift

The copy I had paired with either my d800 or especially D3s was, pardon the expression, "tits". It did much better in low-light accuracy IMHO than the 1.8G that I owned. The AF screw type are not as Cadillac-ish with quiet motor and modern bells and whistles (not to mention a crap-load of plastic cost cutting) but that's another topic. They kick butt on the pro bodies in my experience.

I'd take the 1.4D over a lot of lenses in that price range -- it is a performer.

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:42 AM
ilnonno
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 85 1.4D Focus accuracy and shift

lsutigerfan wrote:
The copy I had paired with either my d800 or especially D3s was, pardon the expression, "tits". It did much better in low-light accuracy IMHO than the 1.8G that I owned. The AF screw type are not as Cadillac-ish with quiet motor and modern bells and whistles (not to mention a crap-load of plastic cost cutting) but that's another topic. They kick butt on the pro bodies in my experience.

I'd take the 1.4D over a lot of lenses in that price range -- it is a performer.

AF-D lenses scare me a bit regarding reliability, long term, of the focus gearing, and somewhat more about the future presence of autofocus motors into the forthcoming cameras.

Ah well... I had the money and the will, the seller was reluctant to interact.
Now I don't have the money anymore, but I have a 24 1.4ART and a 24-35ART

Bests,
Lory

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:32 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password