Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · Would you buy a set of "Summaron" lenses for la...

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Would you buy a set of "Summaron" lenses for landscapes?

Lee Saxon wrote:
I bet few people disagree, especially on the Alt board. The problem isn't that Leica decided to release a Holga / Lensbaby / "classic lens," it's how they priced it. This damn thing is more expensive than the optically-excellent damn Summarits, some of which are damn ASPH. It's ludicrous. I'd give them $400 and even that is only because I understand it's more expensive to make things in Germany and in small volumes.

(that and the fact that they marked it 2.8cm like it's 1956, which IMHO is too pretentious even for a "collector" lens)

I agree with Michael - the price on this one seems fairly reasonable to me. If you think this lens should be priced around the $400 mark, you are dreaming.

Oct 23, 2016 at 09:29 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Would you buy a set of "Summaron" lenses for landscapes?

SteveDK wrote:
If they had an high optical quality, small 28mm/3.4 or f/3.8 for $1,500 US, that might be interesting to me.

If you are talking new, you are also dreaming....

Oct 23, 2016 at 09:32 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Would you buy a set of "Summaron" lenses for landscapes?

SteveDK wrote:
It's aimed at collectors and poseurs.

Haha - that is quite funny (and untrue I am sure). Mind you, the entire Leica world is targeted for only the extremely rich and dentists. I consider myself fortunate to be one of those.

Oct 23, 2016 at 09:35 PM
SteveDK
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Would you buy a set of "Summaron" lenses for landscapes?

I am happy with the new 28mm/2.8 Elmarit ASPH, which is small and stellar. I'm upper middle-class now, but I have no kids, so I can afford new Leica gear. I take image quality seriously, because I like to print large, detailed images. I can justify paying extra for small high quality M lenses (or large Zeiss ZF.2 lenses). The extra money over a Nikkor is often getting me some incremental increase in image quality I can see. Not always, I vastly prefer the 28mm/1.8G Nikkor to the Zeiss 28mm/2 Zf.2, itself a redo of a famous old design the "Hollywood Distagon," a lens that isn't well suited to near-far landscape work. So I sold the Zeiss.

I have friends who are serious photographers who like toy cameras or artsy old lenses, and make beautiful images with them. I'm just not that kind of photographer. I like making triptychs on 17" roll paper, and with my Leica M-P the print resolution is about 400dpi. They can be stunning, and I have seven night triptychs in a group show at the Art Complex Museum in Duxbury, Massachusetts through January 15, 2017. All were shot on the M-P with either Leica 24mm/3.8 or Zeiss 35mm/1.4 ZM, excellent lenses both, though the Zeiss is giant by rangefinder standards. (See http://stevendkeirsteadphoto.blogspot.com/2016/09/night-becomes-us-at-art-complex-museum.html if you are interested).

Of course, most people are happy with an iPhone or other smartphone camera, now, and they rarely print anything. I'm glad Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, etc. are still in business. But the way for Leica Camera AG to stay relevant to me isn't the Summaron 28mm, or rebadged Fuji instant cameras. The Leica SL also seems to be something of a mis-step with its giant lenses and odd ergonomics. Of course Leica is trying to broaden their appeal, but I wonder if they are not losing their way.

Oct 24, 2016 at 02:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ZoneV
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Would you buy a set of "Summaron" lenses for landscapes?

I bought some years ago the classic Summaron 28mm f/5.6 lens, but I think never used it. Have to find it and do some test images.
Its build quality alone is something I love much. I love the look and feel of old lenses, and the Leica Summaron is like a gemstone.
Leica is able to build extreme high quality lenses, they have an interesting history.
Why should they not build and sell some products for collectors or photographers who like those gemstones?

Nov 04, 2016 at 07:57 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Would you buy a set of "Summaron" lenses for landscapes?

alundeb wrote:
Sorry, somehow I was looking at f/2.8 MTF, that in the data sheet I downloaded from Leica is incorrectlly labeled as f/5.6. At f/5.6 it is excellent, no complaints

Really? Looks to me as if even at f8 it's hopeless in the outer field, or am I misreading something that's mislabelled?

Nov 04, 2016 at 10:25 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Would you buy a set of "Summaron" lenses for landscapes?

DavidBM wrote:
Really? Looks to me as if even at f8 it's hopeless in the outer field, or am I misreading something that's mislabelled?

I was talking about the Summicron, not the Summaron.

Nov 04, 2016 at 10:34 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Would you buy a set of "Summaron" lenses for landscapes?

alundeb wrote:
I was talking about the Summicron, not the Summaron.

Ah, sorry, got lost in the thread....

Nov 04, 2016 at 11:18 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password