New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

level1photog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

I agree with you. Art series is the company philosophy to create the best lens with very little trade off similiar to the Otus at a fraction of a price. Their sport or contemporary lens line follow more of the traditional lens making philosophy of trade off between size, cost, and performance. I'm planning to rock this and my 70-200 II for wedding and engagement. I never had a problem with my 70-200 either.

alexdi wrote:
I'm surprised to see such a negative reception. This lens is intended to be a class-leading optic. It's sharper, faster to focus, and considerably less expensive than the 85/1.2. Obviously it's not for travel, no more than the (much larger and heavier) 70-200/2.8 series would be. That's what the 85/1.8 (any of them) is for.

Oct 21, 2016 at 02:55 PM
Sorbet
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

alexdi wrote:
I'm surprised to see such a negative reception. This lens is intended to be a class-leading optic. It's sharper, faster to focus, and considerably less expensive than the 85/1.2. Obviously it's not for travel, no more than the (much larger and heavier) 70-200/2.8 series would be. That's what the 85/1.8 (any of them) is for.

I am all in favor of class-leading optics. More of that please. I say Bravo to Sigma for making the 85 Art. As I said, would love to try it for portraits. My only negativity arises from my personal desire for smaller lenses for most of the work I do. As a result I have the Tamron 85VC which already feels on the large side and it's only f/1.8.

Oct 21, 2016 at 03:53 PM
level1photog
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

Another impression www.thephoblographer.com/2016/10/21/first-impressions-sigma-85mm-f1-4-art

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:00 PM
woos
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'm waiitng for the review that actually puts it head-to-head with the current Sigma 85 f/1.4 EX, which is already an excellent lens. Apart from maybe ultimate sharpness wide-open I'm dubious it'll warrant the massive weight increase and huge filters. Bokeh of the EX is already very nice, it's quite sharp wide open and tack sharp @ f/1.6, it focuses better than the 50 f/1.4 EX did and main fault I see is high CA. But i've seen reports the new version isn't a big improvement in this area.

Frankly this was one of the last lenses that needed an
...Show more

New 50-500 please. :P The Sigma 80-400 is long discontinued. The 120-300 zoom is so good I don't think a 300 prime is critical at this point.

They need to update the 24-70mm first imho. For bonus points the 70-200 at the same time. But the Sig 70-200 isn't so bad.

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:25 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

alskouba wrote:
Have you see the size of that thing?!? What are they thinking! It's almost double the size of the Canikon! haha they are funny...

Maybe it's the Sigma philosophy of huge and cheap, but really too much for my interests.

EBH

Oct 23, 2016 at 01:36 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

alexdi wrote:

"It's not for travel", so what are we expected to have several different 85mm lenses in our kit, since money grows on trees. They already had a lens that was faster to focus than the 85 f/1.2, and was lighter and much much cheaper and very sharp. This was or at least should have been a low priority upgrade in the Sigma line-up.

And yes frankly I find the size and weight ridiculous, similar to what I'd expect in weight from a 135 f/1.8 IS, and 86mm filters, really, there's another 200-300 dollars for high quality polarizer.

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:36 AM
bridow
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

Everyone is complaining about the weight, but what is the actual weight? The 50ART is 815g. 85L is 1025g. This thing looks to be 1250grams which is 2.75 pounds which is not the walkaround lens I was hoping for.

Oct 23, 2016 at 09:54 AM
alexdi
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

Pixel Perfect wrote:
"It's not for travel", so what are we expected to have several different 85mm lenses in our kit, ...

"They made a car. It's fast, but can't tow. They should have made a truck. Am I expected to own both [if I want to go fast and tow]?"

Yes?

The original Sigma 85/1.4 hasn't disappeared. If it's already what you want, why lament this one?

Oct 23, 2016 at 08:09 PM
Brea
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

bridow wrote:
Everyone is complaining about the weight, but what is the actual weight? The 50ART is 815g. 85L is 1025g. This thing looks to be 1250grams which is 2.75 pounds which is not the walkaround lens I was hoping for.

Then go with the Tamron 85mm 1.8, choice is easy.

Oct 24, 2016 at 05:09 PM
Sorbet
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

Brea wrote:
Then go with the Tamron 85mm 1.8, choice is easy.

I did!

Oct 25, 2016 at 02:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

alexdi wrote:
"They made a car. It's fast, but can't tow. They should have made a truck. Am I expected to own both [if I want to go fast and tow]?"

Yes?

The original Sigma 85/1.4 hasn't disappeared. If it's already what you want, why lament this one?

You do realise this a forum to discuss gear right, so it where's we lament.

Also if you can't find a fast vehicle that can also tow, you aren't looking very hard, try not to think Ferrari.

Oct 25, 2016 at 02:59 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

Plus, some of were looking to complement our existing Art lenses, or interested in what the 85 would perform like.

This 85 Art as it is is causing some of us to pause and reassess - it's not all whining for the sake of it. Weight and size are serious considerations.

Oct 25, 2016 at 03:09 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

Paul Mo wrote:
Plus, some of were looking to complement our existing Art lenses, or interested in what the 85 would perform like.

This 85 Art as it is is causing some of us to pause and reassess - it's not all whining for the sake of it. Weight and size are serious considerations.

That is where I am ... I own the Sigma 50A and really like it. I'm hoping the 85A is really nice. For a portrait lens, it seems reasonable to me. Other portrait lenses I would use in a session, like the 70-200 2.8 II or 24-70 II, aren't really light lenses either. The 50A was torn down with similar arguments, but it is a real joy to use. I don't understand the angst; of the 27 Canon lenses that I own, I think all can be used for portraiture. Just pick a tool that fits your style and the situation.

Oct 25, 2016 at 03:42 AM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

Ah... but the B O K E H it can deliver should be super creamy!

Oct 25, 2016 at 04:35 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

The Art primes are amazing lenses; but my bag is already so much heavier with the 20A and 50A, I'm not sure I can trade my 85EX for the 85A and still manage it.

Oct 26, 2016 at 03:06 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

I agree that it is not a "walk-around" lens for everyone, just like the 50A is not...I had it, I was amazed, but I'd rather have something smaller, even if I was compromising on the IQ a tad.

I also disagree with ppl commenting on Sigma trying to make it "too big & heavy"...they've made as big the optics required and chose metal for the body because that is what the market responded to, their metal Sigma Art flagship. I believe they could have gone composite as they've always did, but there is negative bias towards them marketing "cheap" lenses that they have to fight against.

Yes, the 35A was big and heavy, but the 35L II that is the only 35 to outshine the A, is even bigger and heavier, despite the use of a composite outer shell (its the beefiest internally tho).
The Sony FE 35 1.4 ZA is also massive and plays the "metal-outside-vanilla-inside" game, albeit not outshining the 35A optically...apparently Canon & Nikon feel more confident with their "plastic" lenses.

You just have to get that big apparently, it cannot be an accident that everyone follows this recipe.

I also find it funny that the petapixel review/comparison of the 85A comments negatively on the size of the 85L II:

"the one noticeable downfall of the Canon is how short it is. I found myself constantly turning the focus ring by accident when trying to hold the lens"

The fun part is in the FACT that the lenses are all the same size behind their focus ring. THERE IS NO LESS "BODY" to hold the Canon from without touching the focus ring than there is in the much bigger Sigma, which just adds a focus ring 4 times as wide...similarly for the Nikon which is ~20% wider. If anything, the Canon is the only of the 3 that offers the some texture to aid secure handling...

Feels like they had to come up with a "negative" there.
But you cannot win them all...it can be too long, it can be too short, it is too light, it is too heavy...always something.

Edited on Oct 26, 2016 at 09:56 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2016 at 04:29 PM
level1photog
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

When is this lens available? I thought it's the 25th?

Oct 26, 2016 at 04:32 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

BTW what Sigma *really* needs to make is a 200mm f/1.8 OS. Canon charges way too much for theirs, it seems like there's a real opportunity for Sigma to make the monies here.

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:56 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 Reviews

markshelby wrote:
BTW what Sigma *really* needs to make is a 200mm f/1.8 OS. Canon charges way too much for theirs, it seems like there's a real opportunity for Sigma to make the monies here.
Would be interesting, but it is a very specialized lens...neither Canon nor Nikkor are pushing volumes of their 200mm f/2 lenses...nor will Sigma, even if they were to undercut the former by 20-30% or even more...will always be a cumbersome and niche product for the wealthy enthusiasts and some pros.

Cheap-er primes in the 35 / 50 / 85 / 135 etc, sell thousands upon thousands.

The ROI for a potential 135 f/2 Art or this 85A, will be significantly higher than a much more complicated to design and build 200mm A.

I would guesstimate that the 500mm f/4 Sigma will actually outsell the 200 f/2 lenses from Canon & Nikon combined, despite not being tangibly cheaper. Just too few ppl really want a 200mm f/2, be it a $5,700 lens (existing options) or a $3-4,000 lens (if Sigma would release one that "cheap").

Oct 26, 2016 at 09:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password