Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

Hello,

I have the Fujifilm XF 56mm f/1.2 R and 10-24mm f/4 R OIS at the moment.
I'm looking to get a 50mm lens equivalent for my fujifilm x-pro2.

Is the Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R the best auto focus lens at the moment?

I was about to get the Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4 XF R but I read that it is a bit slow to focus!

Thanks for the help.

Oct 17, 2016 at 07:47 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

If you mean vs. the 35/1.4, yes, the 35/2 has faster autofocus.

Oct 17, 2016 at 07:57 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

The 35/2 IS faster to focus, but...the IQ vs the 1.4 is still up for debate. I have the f2 and love it. But some folks clearly like the rendering of the 1.4 version better. It is subjectable.

Oct 17, 2016 at 08:02 PM

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

Thanks guys!

I was about to go for the 35mm f/1.4 XF R but I saw this video on youtube!

It says that the Fujifilm XF 56mm f/1.2 R is better! Water sealed and sharper?

This is my first fuji camera and I love the Fujifilm XF 56mm f/1.2 R.

I didn't know about the crop factor and the guy at the store said that it was no a problem with the fuji lenses so I got the 56mm f/1.2 R. Now I see that it is a 84mm on the fuji!

Oct 17, 2016 at 08:37 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

There is something to its rendering. But the Imatests (there is no DXOmark for Fujis) show that the 35/2 is best wide open in everything but (If I remember correctly) central sharpness. I was pretty surprised by this as so many folks swear that the 35/1.4 is clearly superior.

leighton w wrote:
The 35/2 IS faster to focus, but...the IQ vs the 1.4 is still up for debate. I have the f2 and love it. But some folks clearly like the rendering of the 1.4 version better. It is subjectable.

Oct 17, 2016 at 08:48 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

I had both the 35/1.4 and 35/2 for about 3 days, and I kept the 35/1.4 for the rendering particularly for portraits. For another perspective read Reids review comparing the 35/1.4 and 35/2 as it is quite detailed.

Oct 17, 2016 at 09:19 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

35 f/1.4
- Better rendering (depends on who you ask)
- Lets in more light

35 f/2
- Faster AF
- Quieter AF
- WR
- Tighter aperture ring
- Slightly smaller/lighter (difference isn't as big as say the 23 f/1.4 vs f/2)
- Substantially Cheaper when 1.4 isn't on sale

Oct 17, 2016 at 09:33 PM

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

Thaks guys!

Here are the videos about the 35/2.

I don't care about the noise!

Oct 17, 2016 at 09:33 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

The 35/2 looks silly on the XT2 and good, but not great on the Xpro2.

Looks certainly aren't everything, but I always thought the 35/2, with its tapering down to a 37mm filter size, and especially with its cheap little plastic hood, was an ugly design.

The 35/1.4 hood (and its falling off and getting lost cap) is a bad design on the other hand, but it looks good on the camera.

16/1.4 with the accessory square hood looks even better.

Oct 17, 2016 at 09:56 PM
darthalal
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

millsart wrote:
The 35/2 looks silly on the XT2 and good, but not great on the Xpro2.

Looks certainly aren't everything, but I always thought the 35/2, with its tapering down to a 37mm filter size, and especially with its cheap little plastic hood, was an ugly design.

The 35/1.4 hood (and its falling off and getting lost cap) is a bad design on the other hand, but it looks good on the camera.

16/1.4 with the accessory square hood looks even better.

Looks much better (to me) with the metal hood, though that does increase the cost. But maybe I've just gotten over the goofy looks after seeing the results it gives me.

(Not my image, but I'll take a few tonight if I remember and have time.)

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

taemo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

sold my XF35WR and grabbed a XF35 1.4 instead.
Reason for the switch is that I found the 35WR boring, only thing I miss from it is the WR but it's not a must feature for me.

Oct 18, 2016 at 01:03 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

I had both 35mm lenses, f/2 and f/1.4, for a few weeks. I planned to keep one and pass the other on to one of my sons along with an older XE1.

Frankly I found it more or less a toss up. Both have excellent image quality, though I felt like the f/2 might have been just a bit softer in corners. The f/2 AF's faster on my XPro2, but the f/1.4 isn't bad on it either. The f/2 is quite small, but the f/1.4 isn't all that big.

I could have used either. In the end I kept that f/1.4 since I do night street photography, and I know there will be some situations in which the extra stop will come in handy. However, if I didn't need the capability I could have just as easily kept the f/2.

Sorry, I know that's probably not very helpful... ;-)

Dan

Oct 18, 2016 at 01:14 AM
Weez
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

If you can, try them both out and compare results. Youtube videos, review sites (especially these), etc. are ok at best, agenda-based at worst. "Best" is subjective. Some lenses are extremely sharp, but they sacrifice other (and I'd argue, more important) qualities, such as micro-contrast, color saturation, bokeh, etc.

Most modern lenses are sharp, meaning sharp enough. Certainly the Fuji's are.

CA, or lack thereof, is moot. It's easily and quickly corrected in post.

Look at the photos posted here using both lenses.

I have the f2, and it's excellent. It doesn't render quite like I've seen from the 1.4, but it's close and good enough for me. Side by side, the differences are subtle, but there nonetheless. In isolated examples, I think most people would be hard-pressed to tell them apart. It's quiet, and in good light, the AF is very fast. The build quality is top shelf.

As far as basing your purchase on how the lens actually looks when mounted on the camera...that's just goofy. It really should be about how the lens performs and the resulting images.

Oct 18, 2016 at 01:34 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

Perhaps there is some copy dependence but I tried a 35mm f2.0 WR and it's not going anywhere. Does a fine job on portraits with wonderful bokeh and man is that sucker sharp even wide open on my copy. I can get sharp corners if I need to by f5.6, but that's not why I bought it. Instant to focus and solid as a little brick. It seems to be the ugly stepchild for so many right now for no good reason. I found it better than the 23mm f2.0 and frankly didn't want to go for the 1.4 as I wanted the more current technology. To each their own.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:44 AM
darthalal
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

darthalal wrote:
Looks much better (to me) with the metal hood, though that does increase the cost. But maybe I've just gotten over the goofy looks after seeing the results it gives me.

(Not my image, but I'll take a few tonight if I remember and have time.)

http://pic.bestsellerselectronic.com/201606/2102/Fujifilm-Lens-Hood-LH-XF35-2-Black-710NCB6zb0L._SL800_.jpg

See, looks just fine, IMO, with the metal hood.

Fujifilm X-Pro2, XF 35mm f/2 by Allen, on Flickr

Fujifilm X-Pro2, XF 35mm f/2 by Allen, on Flickr

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:29 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

I find the f2 is soft at MFD (1 foot) at f2 on high contrast subjects but that's a tough proposition anyway. It's perfectly fine at 2.5 feet which is a far more normal shooting distance and even at MFD it's perfect by f4. So unless pushed into a corner by using it at it's weakest distance, f-stop and subject all at the same time, it is really good.

I just mention it because if you were, let's say, a wedding photographer trying to do a close up bokeh ring or detail shot it could really catch you out badly if you're not aware of it.

Oct 18, 2016 at 08:43 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

I will admit that vented metal hood looks a lot better than the factory plastic one Fuji includes with it.

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:54 PM

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

Thanks guys for all the replies!

I order the ugly stepchild and the metal hood! I think I will return it and get the Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4 XF R!

The last questions is bout ND filters! I use the Formatt-Hitech Firecrest IRND Filters 4X5.6 on my RED camera.

Now, these fuji lenses are so small and I was about to get the
Formatt Hitech 77mm Multistop Neutral Density Filter and use step down rings on the other lenses.

Any advice? I need filters with IRND...I own 2 Tiffen variable and I don't like the color cast.

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:15 AM
mp0363
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

Ian Boys wrote:
I find the f2 is soft at MFD (1 foot) at f2 on high contrast subjects but that's a tough proposition anyway. It's perfectly fine at 2.5 feet which is a far more normal shooting distance and even at MFD it's perfect by f4. So unless pushed into a corner by using it at it's weakest distance, f-stop and subject all at the same time, it is really good.

I just mention it because if you were, let's say, a wedding photographer trying to do a close up bokeh ring or detail shot it could really catch you out badly
...Show more

oh! nobody has mentioned this (that i've heard) and it's a big deal for a dad with a camera. thanks for the info

Oct 19, 2016 at 07:32 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R - The best lens?

I have both. The 35/2 is an excellent lens until you get into the extreme corners where is suffers form a loss of resolution (probably due to the fact that it is not an optically corrected lens but electronically corrected) even when stopped down. I prefer the 35/1.4 as an all-round lens but have kept the f2 lens for bad weather or if I need something significantly quieter

Oct 19, 2016 at 09:59 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password