New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Grand Canyon

Achilles2010
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Grand Canyon

Hello all!

I was hopping that someone in here can suggest me the "perfect" trail/path or give me some guidance in how to approach lifelong dream of mine to photograph Grand Canyon. Any trip advice would be much appreciated guys and girls.

Thanks a bunch

Oct 17, 2016 at 01:40 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Grand Canyon

The South Rim Trail which runs for many miles out to Hermits Rest is an obvious choice. The South Kaibab Trail offers some great views if you're willing to descend a couple miles and back. Even more of a commitment would be the Bright Angel Trail to Plateau Point and back. The absolute best "trail" though is the river and IMO the best way to see the Canyon. Read up on the safety precautions of hiking in GCNP though, it's a hostile environment.

Oct 17, 2016 at 01:55 PM
Assocracer
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Grand Canyon

+1 on doing your research on hiking the canyon. Last time I was out there a young woman who was a nationally known athlete (can't remember her name) died of dehydration while hiking it. Remember, the easy part is going in. The hard part, after you've been hiking all day and are exhausted, is the hike out. I'll be going out there with my wife in March but will just be photographing it from the south rim area that is easily accessible.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:35 PM
Adam Schallau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Grand Canyon

How long will you be at the Grand Canyon? What time of year will you be visiting?

I love the canyon, have lived at the canyon, and moved to Flagstaff 5 years ago so I could still be as close as possible. I don't know that there is a perfect trail or path to follow, but I very much enjoy walking the rim between the viewpoints. You can easily get away from the crowds, even during busy summer months.

NCAndy mentioned the river. I've done 2 river trips in the canyon including an 18-day photo expedition last year. I'll be doing another 18-day trip in 2017. It's an incredible way to see, experience, and photograph the Grand Canyon.

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:41 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Grand Canyon

Yeah it really depends on weather, length of your trip and what type of terrain you are comfortable hiking (if any). I've only been to GCNP once; I spent the day at the South Rim (you'd be surprised how quickly the crowds thin out as you get away from the Visitors Center) and then drove to Lipan Point to watch and photograph the sunset. My blog has links to my photos if you are interested.

While I have not done a rim to rim hike, I have read that it's quite difficult and something that most people need to train for. My hunch is that it would be something you could do on a return trip, perhaps not for your first time to GNCP.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:42 PM
Achilles2010
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Grand Canyon

Hi Adam,

I am planing to visit Grand Canyon until the end of the October, so I have less then a two weeks to do this.
I am not planning to do any heavy hiking and realize that it will limit my photography options, but still I have to approach it somehow and might consider 18-day photo expedition like you did next year around. I would love to take some time and really camp there if weather permits. I am driving from LA so I need 2 days for round trip by car and 2 days at location.

Thank you

Oct 19, 2016 at 08:28 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Grand Canyon

It's a do-able drive in one day from L.A. but not all that much fun, lots of rather dull desert for much of the trip. Although we've seen deer, elk and pronghorn while driving (not necessarily easy to photograph, just saw them out there). Depending on your time and what you want to spend on the road, Route 66 east from Kingman is a little more interesting with a couple of classic old road/railroad towns that have been bypassed by the new highway. But it is somewhat slower when compared to modern divided highway interstates. Don't waste time on the Grand Canyon Caverns.

Check out the "Points." Some are well suited to morning views, some to sunset views. The Park has a toruist guide paper that will help with planning or give some ideas. also it will list ranger guided activities, some of which will be good for picture taking, but may also be kind of crowded. Check before you go, it's also on line and also check on the shuttle and/or road limitations. It's been a while since we visited so not sure what the current situation is for that.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:58 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Grand Canyon

I'd make the effort to descend a ways down one of the main trails. I think I'd suggest S. Kaibab - it follows a ridge for some time, which gets you wider views than the steeper Bright Angel. S. Kaibab is also largely free of shade - probably a good thing on a cool October day.

Desert View is great for sunsets.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:56 AM
Adam Schallau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Grand Canyon

I'll second the suggestion to take a short hike down the South Kaibab Trail, which requires a shuttle bus ride from the main visitor center to the trailhead on the Orange Route bus (this bus heads east or west from the visitor center, and you will want the east bus). Go down the trail to Ooh-Aah Point for a 1.8 mile round trip hike. Take water and plenty of salty snacks. Be sure to balance your food and water intake.

As for camping, you will only have one option and that is Mather Campground. It's big, it's crowded, but during the offseason it's the only place to camp without making a backpacking trip below the rim.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:46 PM
kvolk
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Grand Canyon

There is a guy by the name of Willie Holdman out of northern Utah who does and annual Grand Canyon river trip just for photographers. You stop along the river where the best photography sites are. He has a deal with one of the river runner companies. It is an eight dat trip.

Nov 16, 2016 at 09:01 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Grand Canyon

how did the trip turn out?

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:39 PM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Grand Canyon

Thanks for the tip about Willie Holdman. I did an 18-day trip a few years ago, but not photo oriented (just a teaser) and backpacked a couple of times some 30+ years ago. Been wanting to go back on a photo trip, so maybe this'll be it!

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:15 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.