New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 5D3 AF setup confusion

frank gross
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D3 AF setup confusion

Even though I am a pretty experienced photographer, I am baffled by all the options when trying to set up the camera (Canon 5D3) for focusing.

And when which menu item/setting goes with which button/dial setting.

*Do you by any chance have a link, an article, or a very simple explanation of how to set up the af focus options. I’ve read the manual but my in-focus success rate is still poor (I understand the issues of camera/subjects movement, holding steady, slow shutter speed etc)

The kind of pictures I like to make are varied but fall into these 3 general categories –

1. My grandchildren at play. I need to be quick.
2. Street photography where the world is moving and flowing and I have to be quick.
3. Stationary, static, ‘portraits’. But with room for a little spontaneous subject movement.
...& on occasion I've been 2nd shooter for candids to a local wedding photographer.

Dials/Buttons:
Firstly, there are the dials/buttons – AF is 2nd from the left on the top. And it has One shot, AI focus, AI servo.
I’m usually on One shot.

Secondly, theAF Menu/s:
Then, there is the AF menu with 5 screens.

1. The 1st screen has 5 case scenarios and each of these 5 has 3 settings.
2. The 2nd screen is AI Servo 1st or 2nd image priority.
3. The 3rd screen has usm lens electronic MF, AF assist beam, one-shot af release prior.
4. The 4th has lens drive when af impossible, selectable af points, af area select mode, af point orientation linked to point.
5. The 5th has manual point selection, point display during focus , illumination, Af micro adjustment

1 and 2 above are the most confusing.

I realize that this is old stuff and that you may have neither time nor inclination. But perhaps there’s a link to a written piece, or a video, that clarifies this?

Thanks
Frank

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:50 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D3 AF setup confusion

Hi Frank - I'm not sure if this will help, but here is a link to a wildlife photographer I know, who is great at explaining this stuff. Perhaps some of his explanations about the camera and the cases, etc. will be of use to you. Good luck!

http://www.grantatkinson.com/blog/making-the-most-of-canons-new-autofocus-5dmk3-and-1dx

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:37 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D3 AF setup confusion

The advice I can give is: don't even bother letting the camera choose the AF point by using that mode because it will almost always get it wrong.

I generally use the AF mode that has one square active and the surrounding ones helping and I rarely get an OOF image. For a static portrait I use one AF point focused on the nearest eye, plus I always use the multicontroller for direct access to the AF point (you can easily set this up). You might want to experiment with rear button AF too (where the AF is activated only by a rear button, not by a half-press of the shutter) many swear by that, although personally I don't use it for what I do.

Beyond that use One Shot for things that don't move and AI Servo for things that do.

And carefully Microadjust all your lenses, makes a significant difference, especially in low light where you are wide open

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:51 PM
frank gross
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D3 AF setup confusion

Thanks. That's great.
Plus someone recommended the Canon learning center page, so I should be all set.

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:53 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D3 AF setup confusion

Canon's AF is a bit like their flash system, it works really well once you learn how to use it (but that's not always that easy).

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:54 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D3 AF setup confusion

http://garyluhm.net/canon-5d-mark-iii-autofocus-ai-servo-birds-flight/

Oct 17, 2016 at 08:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D3 AF setup confusion

dhphoto wrote:
The advice I can give is: don't even bother letting the camera choose the AF point by using that mode because it will almost always get it wrong.

Which mode are you referring to?

Oct 17, 2016 at 08:29 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D3 AF setup confusion

If it moves, AI Servo is your friend

Oct 17, 2016 at 08:37 PM
frank gross
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D3 AF setup confusion

It's really too bad that the illuminated focus point disappears in AI Servo mode. I can't see where the point is without the red blinky

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:55 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D3 AF setup confusion

Try this Frank
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/education/technical/eos_1d_x_explained/AF_guide_EOS-1DX_eng.pdf

It's for the 1DX but it's identical for the 5D3/5DsR. Explains all the cases (6 cases btw not 5) when you should use them and all the other AF settings. It's a must read.

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:22 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D3 AF setup confusion

Sharona wrote:
Which mode are you referring to?

The mode where the camera decides which of the 61 AF points to use.

It's called 61-point automatic AF

Oct 18, 2016 at 06:56 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D3 AF setup confusion

dhphoto wrote:
The mode where the camera decides which of the 61 AF points to use.

It's called 61-point automatic AF

Ah, got it. Thank you for clarifying!

Oct 18, 2016 at 01:57 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password