New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Autumn Grist mill

lighthound
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Autumn Grist mill

Took another shot (ok, several) at this mill that I found last month.
I've been waiting for some fall colors but now the problem is lack of rain so the falls are getting clogged with leaves. If I knew I wouldn't be arrested, I thought about taking my shoes off and try to walk across the falls to knock the leaves over. Just call me chicken.

I took Ben's suggestion of a better composition to get the FG falls originating from the bottom left corner.
I think that it worked pretty well.

Like to hear anything and everything you can toss at me here.
I plan on trying to shoot this one more time while we have some color and hopefully after a little rain. Which is doubtful the way our weather has been.

Dave

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens    29mm    f/13.0    1s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:30 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Autumn Grist mill

Oh yes, this is coming along fine. Did you have to get wet for the comp?

Good idea to go back in an attempt to get more color, but man they sure change fast. In my opinion. green and red/orange is better than red/orange and bare. Otherwise, it's good to get there before some lose all their leaves.

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:11 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Autumn Grist mill

Nope, I got to stay dry but I did have to fight with a bush that had sharp needle tipped leaves in order to get this comp. A little blood went into the making of this image.

Sadly, I don't know how much more color we will get beyond this. Lots of leaves are already falling. We have been in a drought all summer and the colors just aren't going to be all that great again this year. They are never as nice as you get out there even when we have normal rain fall.

I might try hitting this for a sun set later this week. It might cast some bad shadows though but I'll find out. The main thing I need is rain to make this one work I think.

Dave

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:46 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Autumn Grist mill

Dave, your image reminds me of a similar place in NC I like to go to shoot waterfalls. I like the comp, but I wish the foreground was more "natural"(looks like a man made construction). I love the colors, unfortunately this year we didn't make to NC for the annual show of reds, oranges and golds.
I'm putting together your image with a different crop w/o the foreground and mine (taken in May this year by getting wet) to show the similarities.
Socrate

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:45 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Autumn Grist mill

Aww, come on Socrate! It's got a man-made house as the main supporting character in the scene. How bad could the man-made waterfalls be.

Seriously though, I'm right there with ya on man made object in landscape shots but in this particular case I gotta keep the FG falls in the shot. To me it would be chastising the scene too much and would feel like a waist not to include it. Even though it's not natural you can't deny the impact it has as a leading line into the frame. It does need to be cleaner without the leaves and debris though.

But.... I did re-compose a few shots by moving over to the far left and shot straight across the water without the FG waterfall. I'll see if I can process one of them to see what you think.
However, I have to do a TON (over 45 minutes) of clean-up work on these shots due to 8 power lines and millions of foam blobs floating in the water so maybe I'll skip the clean-up work and just post up a nearly sooc image to get your input on.

I really like your image and that is crazy that they are so similar. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if you were to tell me where in NC I could find that place. I'd love to shoot that as well and suspect there isn't as much clean-up work needing to be done.

Thanks Socrate!

Dave

Oct 18, 2016 at 04:07 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Autumn Grist mill

Dave, that Place is called Mill Shoals Falls or French Broad Falls as there are two different waterfalls joining. Another waterfall is visible downstream, Cathedral Falls, not so pretty though.
That place is actually a private property, but the owners, The Living Waters Ministry, are willing to let people enjoy that beautiful view (at their own risk). A big commendation for them I've seen people fishing there also.
The place is located on the west side of NC 215 about 9 miles south of the BRP (8miles North of US 64). A very short trail. The cascades are right by the road.
This site will give you all the info you need to get there. There are more waterfalls in that area. Let me know if you are interested.

http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/french1.htm

BTW you right about the man made stuff. You got me! (that old millhouse was built by William McCall circa 1900) this is why I also took some pics w/o visible man made stuff. My wife wanted a print with the red house included. You can spend the whole morning in that place as it offers so many POV for composition (I must have more than 50 photos edited of that place and another 100 non edited)) and you can always take your fishing pole if you like to fish
Socrate

Edited on Oct 21, 2016 at 12:10 AM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:27 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Autumn Grist mill

This is a picture of a mill and the attendant mill races and sluices and impoundments etc. Not the same as a waterfall. I judge it based on what it is and you did a good job with it. No reason to hide any of it, there would be little left otherwise.

Old mills, barns, bridges and buildings are great subjects.

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Autumn Grist mill

Ok, now that is crazy Socrate. I almost drove home that way from shooting this Mill. I had the pup with me though and she doesn't do well on twisty roads so I played it safe.

I know exactly where you are talking about and that place is only about an hour from my house. I am definitely going to hit that place soon. Thanks!
I've lived here for 20 years and never knew that was there. Please feel free to pm me any other cool places you have found around here like that. I'd love to go check them out. I'm not sure if you remember that one (actually twin) waterfalls shot I had posted awhile back but it is located just south of your waterfall mill shot.

They don't call this area the land of waterfalls for nothing I guess.

Take a look at this different composition and let me know what you think.

I still have a ton of "clean-up" work to do on the water but I cleaned up the power lines quickly and made a few adjustments. I might have over cooked it but I can't tell. Need advise on that.

My wife prefers this comp over my OP image comp. I have to agree that it is nice but I do like the FG waterfall (man-made) image as well. Hmmmm...

Dave

New Composition

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens    35mm    f/13.0    1/5s    100 ISO    -3.3 EV  

Oct 19, 2016 at 02:04 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Autumn Grist mill

ben egbert wrote:
This is a picture of a mill and the attendant mill races and sluices and impoundments etc. Not the same as a waterfall. I judge it based on what it is and you did a good job with it. No reason to hide any of it, there would be little left otherwise.

Old mills, barns, bridges and buildings are great subjects.

Thanks Ben! I agree that these are not strictly landscape type shots and make for excellent subjects.

Let me know what you think on that new one I just added. It does have it's own strong points I think.

Dave

Oct 19, 2016 at 02:07 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Autumn Grist mill

I have to admit this last is a very nice image.

Oct 19, 2016 at 02:09 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Autumn Grist mill

lighthound wrote:
Ok, now that is crazy Socrate. I almost drove home that way from shooting this Mill. I had the pup with me though and she doesn't do well on twisty roads so I played it safe.

I know exactly where you are talking about and that place is only about an hour from my house. I am definitely going to hit that place soon. Thanks!
I've lived here for 20 years and never knew that was there. Please feel free to pm me any other cool places you have found around here like that. I'd love to go check them out.
...Show more

That is what I am talking about! This is the comp I was thinking about and I really like it. Simple, with very pleasing color and a sense of tranquillity. The only think that can make it better is a blue sky. But sometimes we cannot have everything, even though PS can help Where is that mill located BTW?

There is another small, pretty waterfall close by, also on a private property, but the owners allow people to visit. Is called Eastatoe Falls. From Mill Shoals drive south on NC 215, turn left on US 64 and then right on US178 for 3.4 miles. Turn right onto a private gravel driveway. Not easy to spot it , but there is a sign at the road for Mountain Medow. The drive goes between two ponds. Follow the road to a parking area, behind the house. Follow the grassy path to the falls about 200 yards.

http://www.romanticasheville.com/eastatoe_falls.htm

I'm sure you have been to Dupon State Forest. Three big water falls to visit including the triple waterfall.

Oct 19, 2016 at 03:06 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Autumn Grist mill

Thanks Ben! Good to know it works for you as well.

Dave

Socrate, yep, I do have some blue sky I can pull out of that shot and will do so. Thanks!

I made it up to Mill Shoals Falls yesterday afternoon and photo bombed the hell out of that place then on up to the BRP for sunset. Water level/flow is ridiculous but I gave it my best shot(s). Had a little fall color so I'm hoping that offsets the lack of water. I'm going back up there Friday afternoon specifically to shoot down stream as my wife and pup walked down there and said it was beautiful. I just didn't have the time.

I blew right past Eastatoe falls on our way up there and will stop and check that out as well this Friday. Colors on 215 between the BRP and the mill were absolutely gorgeous but nothing worth shooting or any pull offs.

And yep, I visit Dupont often and have been up there at least 4 times this summer. That's another location that I've been waiting to shoot this fall and need to make it happen quickly.

Thanks for all the location tips Socrate! Hopefully I can get some keepers this year.

Dave

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:58 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Autumn Grist mill

I envy you. Every year we spend a couple of weeks in NC during this time of the year. Unfortunately this year we couldn't make it
Did you get wet at the Mill Shoals Falls? There is a dirt road on the left side, looking at the falls. It goes up and offers another good view from the top.
Eastatoe falls is a small waterfall (I like small waterfalls) and from the right angle you can get some good shots. My favorite angle is shown below.
Another waterfall is the Skinny Dip Falls (it's okay if you keep your close on) You may need to get wet tough.

http://www.hikewnc.info/besthikes/blue-ridge-parkway-section-5/skinny-dip-falls

Here is the point of view I liked best.
Socrate

Edited on Oct 21, 2016 at 12:11 AM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2016 at 03:38 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Autumn Grist mill

Yep, I got wet @ Mill Shoals Falls. That was some seriously cold water already.
Unfortunately when I got over there a couple of photogs from Florida showed up and conveniently stood in my frame so I'll have some clean up or crop work to do.

The one dude must have had 30 grand of glass and gear hanging off from him in his vest. I have no idea why someone would carry all that gear including several long lenses with them for such a place.
That guy was nice and we chatted for a little while but the other dude was the typical photo snob that I hate meeting. I swear if all photographers were snobs like that I would walk away from this hobby in a heart beat. I can not stand people that think their chit doesn't stink and can not act human to other people. I have run into several of them out there but thankfully most of them are nice.

Okay, rant off.

Your Eastatoe falls shot is sweet! I like those kind of falls as well and will definitely hit that one on my way up there Friday. I'll probably skip the Skinny dip falls as I just have way too many similar ones around this area. They all start looking the same after a while.

Thanks again Socrate!

Dave

Oct 20, 2016 at 05:09 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password