New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Inconsistant flash performance on X-T2 with Nissin i40

ajamils
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Inconsistant flash performance on X-T2 with Nissin i40

Yesterday, I (seriously) used X-T2 for the first time at party and had a very frustrating experince with Nissin i40 flash. I recently got the flash firmware upgraded to make it work with X-T2 but after last night's experience it seems like there is something wrong with the flash or maybe my settings. I used Auto ISO with setting of 200-400 and lowest shutter speed at 1/80 (using 16-55 f2.8 lens). Flash to TTL.

The prolem I had that sometimes flash worked fine with proper exposure while other times pictures were severly under exposed. Even worse when fllash completely failed to fire. I even tried the flash in "A" mode with similar results.

Anybody experienced the same or have any suggestions?

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:25 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Inconsistant flash performance on X-T2 with Nissin i40

I had some inconsistencies like you describe using it with the XP2 + 16-55/2.8 at an event in the spring. I've speculated that the failure to fires were related to overheating due to the fact I was using it in manual mode and doing some HSS earlier in the evening. But I started having failures to fire and underexposures with it and have assumed I was just pushing it too hard.

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:39 PM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Inconsistant flash performance on X-T2 with Nissin i40

I wasn't doing anything special with the flash so it would be quite disappointing if it was overheating. None the less, are you still using the same flash or have changed to something different?

After my rescent experience, I'll be looking for a better flash to use for the upcoming wedding of my sister.

rbf_ wrote:
I had some inconsistencies like you describe using it with the XP2 + 16-55/2.8 at an event in the spring. I've speculated that the failure to fires were related to overheating due to the fact I was using it in manual mode and doing some HSS earlier in the evening. But I started having failures to fire and underexposures with it and have assumed I was just pushing it too hard.

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:45 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Inconsistant flash performance on X-T2 with Nissin i40

ajamils wrote:
I wasn't doing anything special with the flash so it would be quite disappointing if it was overheating. None the less, are you still using the same flash or have changed to something different?

After my rescent experience, I'll be looking for a better flash to use for the upcoming wedding of my sister.

I still have it and need to get it sent out to have the firmware updated to work with my XP2 with new FW2.0. I'm actually really interested in Fuji's new X500 flash for something a little more robust. I could see still using the i40 with my XE1 for lighter type duty but it also was a bit harsh shooting at f/2.8 and seemed to overexpose a bit there as well in TTL mode with the XP2. I was very happy with it on my XE1 however. I would look to something else for heavy duty like a wedding myself. Just waiting for the X500's to ship!

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

traveler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Inconsistant flash performance on X-T2 with Nissin i40

I was all set to get a EF-X500 but the guy at the dealer I happen to trust his opinion, informed me they got the 60i's in with the new firmware update and it will be a better choice than the EF. He basically said Fuji flashes suck. I've had them and would tend to agree. So I'll probably go with the 60i as he KNOWS they work great. They sell a ton of them after the firmware update and he's confirmed ALL functions work perfectly. This is Eugene at Competitive Camera whom I've gotten my camera and 6 lenses from recently.

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:35 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Inconsistant flash performance on X-T2 with Nissin i40

ajamils wrote:
Yesterday, I (seriously) used X-T2 for the first time at party and had a very frustrating experince with Nissin i40 flash. I recently got the flash firmware upgraded to make it work with X-T2 but after last night's experience it seems like there is something wrong with the flash or maybe my settings. I used Auto ISO with setting of 200-400 and lowest shutter speed at 1/80 (using 16-55 f2.8 lens). Flash to TTL.

The prolem I had that sometimes flash worked fine with proper exposure while other times pictures were severly under exposed. Even worse when fllash completely failed
...Show more

I've had problems using Yongnuo 560 IIIs in manual mode on several cameras -- ends up being either dirty or loose hotshoe connections. Maybe try that?

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:37 PM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Inconsistant flash performance on X-T2 with Nissin i40

I considered Nissin 60i but it is not a whole lot more powerful than 40i and for the asking price it does not seem to be worth it. Fuji's new flash is way too overpriced to be even considered (if it ever get released)

I thought about giving Yongnuo 560 IV a try but reviews for it are quite mixed as well. Also I've never used manual flash so didn't want to risk it at an event but considering how badly i40 did, I don't think it could have been any worse.

Good idea about the contacts, I will check it out.

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:01 AM
Weez
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Inconsistant flash performance on X-T2 with Nissin i40

ajamils wrote:
I thought about giving Yongnuo 560 IV a try but reviews for it are quite mixed as well.

I use 560 iii's, and they work perfectly...except for rear curtain.

For some weird reason, they still fire at the beginning of the exposure.

I've had to use the pop-up on my X-T10 in Commander mode, 560's set to slave, which is irritating.

I really hate "workarounds", but I'm not buying flashes specifically for this system, so I guess I'll just deal with it.

There are no issues when I use them with my Nikon stuff, so I don't know what the problem is.

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:32 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password