New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

Mike Veltri
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

Hi all,

My 1Dx shutter went at 202,000 clicks, which some may think it shouldn't seeing as the shutter is rated for 400,000 cycles. As we all know, a shutter can go at any time, and as the camera was over two years old, I had no problem paying the $281.60 to have it replaced, as the body itself was in great condition.

The problem I read most about, is that Canon does not reset the status screen in the menu that shows the "click" count back to zero, which has a few people upset. Like a car's odometer, I guess they can't reset them as it would open a can of worms and I understand that.

Last Thursday I decided to take the camera in to Canon Canada to get a true shutter count, and a free cleaning with my CPS membership. I found out after driving 45 minutes by highway to get there, that the free cleanings are no longer part of the CPS membership. The cleaning is $40, and I thought after the long ride, I would pay the money even though I know how to clean a sensor.

When I picked up the camera, the click count on the work order showed 291,000 clicks. So the new shutter should actually only have 89,000 clicks on it.

This is where it gets good (bad), as I was told that Canon can not tell that what is on the new shutter, but can only recall the "click" count of the camera.

I told the women at Canon CPS, that I would not have spent the $40, or my time to drive there when I could have got that info from the menu in the camera. I told them the only thing I have now is photos I took of the screen before sending it in originally for the shutter replacement, and my word to a person wanting to purchase the camera from me.

Not a happy camper, as I also have a 1Dx Mark II, and I was told that they can't reset the shutter count, and she believed that they can't tell how many clicks are on a new shutter anymore. This can hurt the resale of the camera imo. I have no idea how they retrieve the shutter count (clicks) and I doubt spending money on a internet solution like EOS count to get the true shutter count will work, as it may be tossing more money away.

Just thought some people may want to know this. Canon should have put down the existing shutter count on the invoice when they replaced the shutter, then It would be documented proof as too what the shutter count truly is.

I guess writing them a letter would be the best way to show my displeasure. And suggesting that when they replace a shutter in the future that they should show the original shutter count at the time of the repair.

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:23 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

I show potential buyers my Lightroom catalog if they wish to be convinced of what I say the shutter count should be. Lightroom stores the serial number and I set the camera not to reset the frame counter after format.
A Lightroom catalog could of course be tampered with, but like a business car administration trying to get substantial extra mileage out over extended periods of time is cumbersome and draws too much time and attention. Therefore such a catalog continuous record says more than a shuttercount readout at a point in time.
You may be right that canon does something wrong by disabling shuttercount readouts, but I simply gave up on things that I can't change and work my way around them.

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:37 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

I guess it is just like a car with a replacement engine. They do not reset the odometer

I guess the shutter count as we know it actually reflects the mirror box actuations.

Did you take a picture of the shutter info after the replacement?

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:56 PM
jaylee73
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

I actually prefer that Canon no longer resets the count when they replace a shutter. Knowing the number of clicks that the camera has taken provides a better indication how much it has been used. Other things on the camera could start to wear out with lots of use. However, I do agree that Canon should indicate the number of actuations that were on the camera when they replaced the shutter.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:07 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

Thanks rabbitmountain, as I did not know that information.

Jay Lee, I don`t think there is much more to wear out other than the shutter, unless a board or something burned out.

Personally I would look for a camera in good physical condition if I was in the market for a used camera, and not give the shutter count much thought.

Thanks for the replies,
Mike

Oct 20, 2016 at 04:09 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

Mike Veltri wrote:
Thanks rabbitmountain, as I did not know that information.

Jay Lee, I don`t think there is much more to wear out other than the shutter, unless a board or something burned out.

Personally I would look for a camera in good physical condition if I was in the market for a used camera, and not give the shutter count much thought.

Thanks for the replies,
Mike

There is also a main mirror assembly with the submirror assembly, that is spring or motor driven (depending on the camera model). Don't forget these things can also fail. A long time ago, a mirror assembly failed on my uncle's Nikon D70, not the actual shutter.

Oct 20, 2016 at 04:18 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

Interesting news Mike. Mine was showing signs of failure earlier this year at 120k and was replaced.

Oct 20, 2016 at 04:19 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

Mine went at 170K, they replaced the mirror assembly & the shutter... for a fee of course....

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

Mike Veltri wrote:
Mike

Hi mike, if I were to buy a particular used 1Dx I would call my CPS contact and have him check that this serial# wasn't repaired for exceptional damage. We only have two official Canon service facilities in a small country. If you don't have such repairs and a solid catalog you should be fine.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:01 PM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

Thanks Milan, I do have the repair bill showing all the parts replaced. And I know that there is another assembly, but in whole the camera is like a computer, and any moving parts such as the hard drive can always fail, and at any time.

The repair order shows them replacing Washer Penta, 6 items, Washer FB ADJ, 6 items, Shutter Ass'y, Lever Ass'y, Mirror Box Ass'y. Adjust and Cleaned CMOS.

So to me, its like getting a brand new Camera for $300.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:28 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

Thanks, and although my gear is all registered with CPS Canada, I have no idea if they give that information out to other CPS countries. But that would still not be something that the average person could get when buy a used camera. Not a big deal, as I will most likely keep the camera as it is in great shape for a four year old camera and not much different than the replacement.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:37 AM
SvdWijst

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

One of my 5d3's has more than 400k clicks on it. Still going strong and no real signs of heavy use but i could never sell the camera to anyone when they hear the shutter count lol

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

Yes, Riokid I did take images, and wrote this info on the repair order that I have from CPS.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:39 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

SvdWijst, I believe you can sell anything, as long as the price reflects the advantages of such an item. Today all the idot's on sites like Craigs list and such want things for nothing, as most people either can't really afford it or they want it at basement prices. And sometimes things just are not worth the hassle to sell anyways.

Cheers,

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:45 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 1D x - Shutter Count

Does Canon record the number of shutter clicks on the invoice when they replace the shutter? If they did that then you could show a prospective buyer your invoice.

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:38 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password