Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

sirimiri wrote:
...Having said that, the new Zeiss industrial design language is shit.

Hi Greg. What on earth does that mean?

Oct 18, 2016 at 01:28 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

In terms of performance, I'll take the new lenses. However, as someone who has been "doing photography" for quite a while, I can become aesthetically nostalgic for the look and feel of older lenses.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:34 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

I prefer the newer look and feel of lenses like my 16-35 f4 IS.

But I'm really glad we have left this style behind
https://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/1298296751.jpeg

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:44 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

dhphoto wrote:

https://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/1298296751.jpg

Hey, I kind of liked that lens!

;-)

Dan

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/albums/HumanWorld/Cities/UnitedStates/SanFrancisco/Color/GarageDoorsDetailMissionSF20100220.jpg

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:16 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

The optics are quite good, I use mine a good bit, but I hate the tinnyness of it plus the inability to focus full time and the poxy focus ring

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:23 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

dhphoto wrote:
..I hate the tinnyness of it plus the inability to focus full time and the poxy focus ring

I agree. The 35/2 IS and especially the 35/1.4L II look positively woody, in comparison with the old 35/2.

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:33 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

EB-1 wrote:
What are the chances it would fit on a newer lens

EBH

Check that you have not made multiple posts before leaving the thread.

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:17 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

The site was very slow and timing out on Monday and there is no flood control.
Posts can't be deleted after a reply so that's it.

EBH

Oct 18, 2016 at 09:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

EB-1 wrote:
The site was very slow and timing out on Monday and there is no flood control.
Posts can't be deleted after a reply so that's it.

EBH

But, but, but, but you probably hit the reply button 4 times before anyone replied.

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:22 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

jcolwell wrote:

Jim, we can certainly agree that design is a subjective topic. Zeiss, in the era of black lenses seemed to value function above form. You get lenses that are essentially made of rings that looked threaded to or stacked upon one another, with checkered or knurled grips. Body length and diameter seemed to be linked to lens element sizing from a cross-sectional standpoint. It's a man-made device with an external appearance based on its underpinnings and purpose. What I would classical German ID.

I believe in order to be "different" Zeiss now pursue these uni-body, flared-front, bell-looking housings and profile-integrated bayonet hoods. They want the lenses to look like they flow from front to back, and you get these stark, flat rubberized bands for focus rings. It's like they're trying to imbue an optical-mechanical device with organic qualities that are somewhere between a fish and a tulip. I think it's a bizarre combination and that Zeiss do it in a superficial bid to set themselves apart from other lens manufacturers that are closing the performance gap.

Volkswagen co-opting Euro/Mediterranean winds as brand names for their vehicles I can somewhat grok from an automotive standpoint. But Zeiss, in either choosing parrots, owls or birds of prey as lens lineup names seem simultaneously artificed and silly. What the #[email protected]# do stark-plumage, chirping Central/South American avians have to do with fully-electronic APS-C camera lenses?

I do think the Zony lenses look a little more classically evolutionary. Of course, none of what I say has anything to do with optical performance.

Oct 19, 2016 at 04:36 AM
tsangc
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

My only complaint is the texture on the 100mm f2.0 (90's style USM like the 28mm pictured) I have is smooth and I feel like it will slip out of my fingers and drop to the floor. The L series lenses seem to have some sort of flocking texture on the body which gives a slightly better grip. That and the L series lens seem to have larger zoom and focus rings.

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:37 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

This looks so 80s that I get the urge to dig out a Motley Crue record when I look at one of those. THAT type of design is surely the least appealing to me. What the other manufacturers were offering back then didn't look much more appealing.

Oh, and yes, the 16-35/4's clean design is the best I've seen lately; I like it over the previous generation of L lenses (appearance-wise) because it has much less width changes.
I also happen to like (again, visually) the keg-shaped primes like Canon 24/1.4 L, or the Sigma 85/1.4 EX.
dhphoto wrote:

https://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/1298296751.jpg

Oct 19, 2016 at 07:59 AM
melcat
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

The black L lenses are still very 90s with their bold red/black contrast and bold contrast between the ribbed control rings and the barrel. Canon have been tweaking recently (as in the mentioned example of the 16-35 f/4 IS) but there's not much more they can do without tossing out the very valuable L brand recognition.

They're a bit like air-cooled VW Beetles of the 1970s - tweaked and decent-looking but still recognisably a Beetle and in a very dated style compared to the competition. Look at the Sigma Art and Zeiss Milvus lenses, both very modern in comparison.

The white lenses have IMO gone backwards in style. My 300mm f/4 IS, with its aluminium badge plate and contrasting beige/red/black colour scheme, is very handsome, while my 100-400 Mk II is a grey mishmashy mess. Of course the beige had to go - that's an 80s colour.

I quite like the appearance of the 90s gold-braided Ultrasonic lenses (first picture in the OP), although the gold braid is a bit tacky and in 2016 an "Ultrasonic" badge is redundant.

sirimiri wrote:
I believe in order to be "different" Zeiss now pursue these uni-body, flared-front, bell-looking housings and profile-integrated bayonet hoods.

It's a disease of modern design - if you can't make it look good, make it look different. Think Bangle-back on BMWs, the camera bump on recent iPhones, Mazda's "atomic cockroach" design language. Sometimes these grow on you over time. I initially hated the Zeiss "funnel" look, but it's growing on me. OTOH I still can't stand the sight of a Mazda 3.

Oct 19, 2016 at 09:46 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

sirimiri wrote:
...Having said that, the new Zeiss industrial design language is shit.

jcolwell wrote:

sirimiri wrote:
Jim, we can certainly agree that design is a subjective topic. Zeiss, in the era of black lenses seemed to value function above form. You get lenses that are essentially made of rings that looked threaded to or stacked upon one another, with checkered or knurled grips. Body length and diameter seemed to be linked to lens element sizing from a cross-sectional standpoint. It's a man-made device with an external appearance based on its underpinnings and purpose. What I would classical German ID.

I believe in order to be "different" Zeiss now pursue these uni-body, flared-front, bell-looking housings and profile-integrated bayonet
...Show more

OK, gottcha. I like the ZE Classic style, plus the glass parts is good. Remember, I voted for TP. Regardless, Zeiss is nice.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:19 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

Ergonomics are usually secondary to IQ, but some shapes and materials are compromised for aesthetics.

EBH

Oct 19, 2016 at 03:51 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password