Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

RSHPhotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

Ok, this will be the most useless thread ever. We're talking FIRST WORLD CAMERA problems here. Not really a problem... Just aesthetically speaking.

Canon has changed the look of their lenses several times over the years.

But what's your take on Canon's latest lenses removing that wicked cool ultrasonic logo from all of their lenses. Even the Image Stabilizer logo is changed to a script.

This has to be a budget play right? The work that would go into having the logos must not be worth it for Canon. But I think it takes away from the colorful look of the lenses - thus becoming more plain-Jane, boring.

Again, this is a fun thread meant to be a light hearted discussion on something extremely trivial.

90s style Ultrasonic Non-L lens.

NEW 2012 look for Ultrasonic Non-L lenses

90's style L lens

2012 Style L lens.

Edited on Oct 17, 2016 at 11:07 AM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:05 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

I vote for TP.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:07 AM

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

The third (permanently broken for me) picture should probably be of a 24-70L (first version). I'm a little divided on this one - the old primes (including the 28/1.8 you posted (a mediocre lens but pretty nice appearance) looked better than the new ones, but I like the new zoom style more in the case of the 24-70 I vs. II.

I like how the 70-200/2.8L IS II looks - better than my non-II because the new one has less width changes and looks more uniform (once I had a chance to hold both in my hands at once, and compare). On the other hand, I liked the gnarly look of some old lenses like the 24-85/3.5-4.5 and the 100-400/4.5-5.6L. So I guess I have no definite answer.

Edited by Guest on Oct 18, 2016 at 02:07 AM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:23 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

I prefer the 90s design of the non-L USM lenses. In particular, the EF 20 2.8, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, and 100 2.0 are all-of-a-piece cosmetically. I always wished for 24 f/2 and 35 f/2 lenses that matched these designs.

The silver band and excessive white lettering on the new IS primes makes them look cluttery and less attractive to my eyes (though miles better than the old non-USM primes they replaced, of course).

I don't notice a big difference in the design of the L lenses and think they all look good, old and new.

I do so wish we could get a modern 70-200 in black to match the Magic Drainpipe... Now that was a handsome fella.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:23 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

I think the latest look is more elegant and the design more streamlined overall.
I am not big on the lettering, but the old non-L "gold" lettering was cheesy and dated.

- although you cannot beat the 24-70L I's hood design and how it worked as it was extending on the wide end... <3

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:27 AM

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

We should have another poll - which L white is liked better. Because I noticed that the color of my old Canon 70-200/2.8 L IS lens does not match the color of my new 1.4x III Extender, though both are "L white"...

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:40 AM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

I like my all black Canon FL 35mm f/3.5.

Made of brass.

Used to stick it in the back pocket of my Levis when I went out for a shoot.

Looked really cool with a yellow filter and screw-on lens hood on my FTb.

Talk about aesthetics!

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:54 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

The differences in appearance are pretty minor to me, albeit the newer designs look a little more like a travel mug than the 1990s designs.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:59 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

I like the original 24-70/2.8 build over the new plastic one. The hoods are miles apart as well. The one on the mk2 is pathetic. I have a feeling the new 16-35 will be the same way. Plastic build, flimsy hood.

While not related to aesthetics, I like the mk2 TC's for the very solid connection they had. My mk3's have a little slip in them which I dislike.

Not a fan of the little trap doors in the new hoods like on the 100-400mk2. They never stay closed so you have to tape them down.

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

ggreene wrote:
Not a fan of the little trap doors in the new hoods like on the 100-400mk2. They never stay closed so you have to tape them down.

+1

I use a doorless JJC hood ET-83C Black for the 100-400L IS, on my 100-400L IS II. I keep the original hood in the original box, for when the Mk III is released.

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:42 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

jcolwell wrote:
+1

I use a doorless JJC hood ET-83C Black for the 100-400L IS, on my 100-400L IS II. I keep the original hood in the original box, for when the Mk III is released.

What are the chances it would fit on a newer lens

EBH

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

jcolwell wrote:
+1

EBH

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

jcolwell wrote:
+1

EBH

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

jcolwell wrote:
+1

EBH

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. I don't know.

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:39 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

ggreene wrote:
I like the original 24-70/2.8 build over the new plastic one. The hoods are miles apart as well. The one on the mk2 is pathetic. I have a feeling the new 16-35 will be the same way. Plastic build, flimsy hood.

I agree that the feel in the hand is different, but I after 1.5y with each lens, I think I prefer the 24-70 II in everything but the hood - which as you say, is meh...

The Mk II lens itself feels very solid after 1.5y (and was bought used).

The Mk I was much heavier and the cold to touch metal was implying a lot, but I don't think the internals of it were superior to that of the Mk II. The contrary, as I believe Roger Cicala's breakdowns have indicated: newer designs are build more solidly and far more accurately inside-out, even if the composite shell doesn't shout it. In fact the latest Ls appear to be not only more rugged, but also more adjustable / serviceable than all-metal Ls from the past, aswell as contemporary Sony/Zeiss & Sigma Art AF lenses in their class.

The heavier Mk I also developed some creep over time that I cannot replicate in the Mk II.

I also don't operate in really harsh climates to care personally, but I think there are handling advantages with the composite shell both for super-hot, as well as super-cold environments.

---------------------------------------------

jcolwell wrote:
I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. I don't know.

LoL / LoL / LoL

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:14 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

I like the wider zoom and focus rings the newer lenses are getting. Also I think the II superteles are a real work of art. Its to bad we cover them up with neoprene.

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:54 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

Lenses are just a means to gather light at the focal plane.

Having said that, the new Zeiss industrial design language is shit.

Oct 18, 2016 at 01:33 AM

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

ggreene wrote:
While not related to aesthetics, I like the mk2 TC's for the very solid connection they had. My mk3's have a little slip in them which I dislike.

Huh... so I'm not the only one who gets problems affixing the mark 3 1.4x TC to the lenses? Sometimes mine won't completely lock to the 70-200/2.8L IS lens that I have.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:10 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon Lens aesthetics - older vs newer?

EB-1 wrote:

P.S. EBH, I was just kidding, above. Couldn't resist. I use the JJC Mk I hood on my Mk II lens. It works just fine.

Oct 18, 2016 at 08:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.