Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Nikon 24-70/2.8G vs Sigma 24-35/2?

keira007

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 24-70/2.8G vs Sigma 24-35/2?

Hi everyone, it's been quite a while since I sold all my photography gears, now I'm back and add the first D800 to my kit, but I still can't decide about which lenses to add to it. My photography includes fashion, boudoir, wedding and street life. I want to go with a three-lenses kit (however I'm starting to think that's not enough):
- First, a wide angle lens. I really like wide angles because you can get really close and the perspective is just amazing. I don't want to use a wide zoom lens like 16-35/4 because I don't think the image quality is consistent across the zoom range. The 14-24/2.8G is an amazing lens, however it's a bit big and pricey. For this choice I think that the Samyang 14/2.8 or the Samyang 12/2.8 Fisheye will do well. I'm adding the Samyang 12/2.8 Fisheye to my kit soon and maybe will add another wide angle lens in the future if needed.
- Second, a lens with normal range. Here is where it got a bit complicated. I have shot with the Sigma 35/1.4 and the Sigma 50/1.4 (not the Art version). While they are good lenses, I often felt that I need wider than 35mm and the Sigma 50/1.4 is just good enough, to be honest I have shot will plenty other 50mm lenses and never felt right about the 50mm focal length.
Letís talk about the lenses choice, if I go with the fixed lenses route, I would have the advantage of IQ and large aperture (e.g Sigma 24/1.4, 35/1.4Ö) however this raises the number of lenses that I have to carry and Iíd like to avoid that. So about the zoom route, I have shot with the Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC and didnít have a good experience, the lens was quite old and not responsive enough (it was a rented lens). I have tried newer 24-70VCs and learnt that Tamroní QC is pretty bad, added to my experience I think I would stay away from it for the time being. Ok, so about other choices, for a walkaround zoom there are the Nikon 24-120/4 VR and the Sigma 24-105/4 Art, from the reviews I think theyíre just good enough, however for studio work theyíll do just fine. Apart from those, there are the Nikon 24-70/2.8G (the VR version is getting pretty bad reviews so I donít consider it) and the Sigma 24-35/2 Art. Theyíre very different animals, both are better than the walkaround choices but Iím not sure about Sigma build quality so Iím leaning over the Nikon 24-70/2.8G right now. Still canít decide which to buy.
- Third, a lens for portrait, this time it's easier. I need AF since my eyesight arenít that good, so thereíre only the Nikon 85/1.4G, 58/1.4G, 105/1.4E right now. Maybe if the Sigma 85/1.4 Artís bokeh is good, but it isnít likely from the rumors. I think I will go with the 58/1.4G, however Iíll test all those three before deciding.
Thatís it. Please give me insights about my lenses choice, are they ok or are there better alternatives? Any comment is welcomed. Thank you for reading all this.

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:02 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 24-70/2.8G vs Sigma 24-35/2?

I cannot offer opinion on the 24-35 but I've shot 5000+ with the 18-35 1.8 crop lens. It's simply perfect. Also, keep in mind that Nikon's glass design is different from Sigma or Canon etc... the 24-70 has this mild swirly bokeh that Nikon loves - and really starts to ramp up in the 58 and 105 primes.

The Sigma has a faded bokeh that looks like you just used the soften skin tool on your background. Some love it. Some hate it.

But sharpness Nikon 24-70 as good as it is can't touch it. I'll bet the Sigma open wide at F2 is going to be as sharp as nikon at f4. That 2 stops of freedom. Lol

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:23 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password