New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

Brea
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

I have the 35mm 1.4L II lens. This lens was refurbished, but should work fine right? Not really. I am using it the exact same way I used my Sigma 35mm and 50mm for years and am getting OOF shots even when I take the time to fix the focus. I shoot the same way I shoot with my Sigmas and I consistently get OOF shots. I sent my 5D3 and the lens in and they said it was working "in spec"... pathetic ugh. Looks like I will be selling off this lens, can't rely on it for crud. Worse than a Sigma...

And I have tried both the Focal and DotTune method to finetune the focus, exactly like I did to my Sigmas. Never worked with this darn lens.

Oct 17, 2016 at 01:46 PM
qc_mountain
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

Did you try the lens on an other body ?

Francois

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:06 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

qc_mountain wrote:
Did you try the lens on an other body ?

Francois

No, but I have 4 other lens (Canon and Sigma) that work perfectly on my body. Body is not the problem.

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:10 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

Umm. I would escalate and ask for another 35mm.

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:14 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

this lens should focus much better than the Sigma (and in fact, is better in every aspect except weight). Care to share any shots?

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:33 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

evertdoorn wrote:
this lens should focus much better than the Sigma (and in fact, is better in every aspect except weight). Care to share any shots?

What kind of shots? I can show you shots that are OOF, but it would be hard to prove anything and could be blamed on user error for no reason, I know exactly what I am doing when I shoot. Keeper rate on Sigma was more about 70-80% where as this new one is 30-40%.

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:42 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

The keeper rate, focus speed and sharpness is clearly above Sigma. This is the best 35mm lens total package on the planet. You shouldn't be having these issues. Ask for an exchange take it up to Canon's management level.

Oct 17, 2016 at 03:12 PM
Mike Veltri
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

I own a 35mm II, and it is now one of my favorite lenses.
I have the 600mm II, 16-35 F/4, 100 macro IS, 14mm, 24-70 II, and 70-200 II.
The 35 is sharp wide open and focus is very fast, no complaints, as I totally love the 35 II.
Maybe its in your shooting style?

Pressure them to replace it, it can't be out of warranty.

Oct 17, 2016 at 03:43 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

I've had a body that was deemed "within standard specs" at first inspection. I sent the camera back and they got it right on the return visit.

If you're outside your return window & user error is not the case, I'd send it back until they get it right.

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:15 PM
Ischgl99

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

I had a focus issue with my Sigma 30mm that migt be similar to what you are experiencing with your Canon lens. I had to send the lens in 3 times to finally get it fixed.

With my lens, it would focus great with the center point on my XSi, but if any of the outer points were used, it would adjust focus down to 2 feet even though there was not anything in the scene anywhere near that close. The lens kept coming back as in spec on their test equipment and it took sending in my body and them recreating the problem before they would finally admit there was a problem with the lens. It ended up being a fault with the auto focus electronics in the lens that did not show with their testing equipment. After replacing that card, everything worked correctly. Since you sent in your body, you would think they tested it with the lens, but if they didn't, then they might be just testing the lens on it's own and not finding the problem. I found out the hard way that the Sigma service center I used would not look at any photos on a disk that were sent in and relied solely on the description of the problem.

For the photos that are out of focus, are the focus points used different than the ones from the good pictures? It could be that your lens is not working properly for some of the auto focus points and the testing method used at the repair facility is not picking that up.

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

Brea wrote:
What kind of shots? I can show you shots that are OOF, but it would be hard to prove anything and could be blamed on user error for no reason, I know exactly what I am doing when I shoot. Keeper rate on Sigma was more about 70-80% where as this new one is 30-40%.

basically, it performs better in any situation. Low light, moving stuff, outer focus points; you name it. 30/40% does not sound good.

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:00 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

Without you posting example shots with full EXIF data, it's hard to comment. But you say you have 4 other lenses that apparently work just fine, so get on the phone, and call Canon. Patiently explain the problem, and if necessary, escalate it to a manager. Where did you buy the lens?

Oct 18, 2016 at 01:37 AM
gjbpro1

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

Brea wrote:

So the lens does focus correctly 30-40% of the time? Have you tried to see if it focuses ok in live view, on a tripod and stationary target with the lens set to manual focus? It may need to be micro adjusted. Does it front or back focus?

Oct 18, 2016 at 04:15 AM
Ron Hu

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

Does the lens work on other bodies with a success rate you deem correct for the lens? Look at the contacts of the lens. I'm curious if all the contact points are there or one is not fully engaged with camera. Thus it isn't talking with the camera. I think different lenses have different contact count? (estimating, be interesting to know).

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:22 PM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

I had a problem with Canon and the 50mm f/1.4. After the third time in repair and return back to me still not repaired I called and escalated up the support chain and finally reached a rep who agreed enough is enough and replaced the lens (with a refurb).

Oct 18, 2016 at 07:19 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

jcunwired wrote:
I had a problem with Canon and the 50mm f/1.4. After the third time in repair and return back to me still not repaired I called and escalated up the support chain and finally reached a rep who agreed enough is enough and replaced the lens (with a refurb).

I am torn because I found a buyer for the lens and don't want this issue to take weeks on weeks, anyone have quick advice?
Issue is my Ameri friend bought it refurbished and it was warrantied by Canadian CPS, which deemed it as "in spec". I am afraid they want me to send it back to USA back and forth over and over... easier to sell and not stress over this for a month.

Edited on Oct 18, 2016 at 07:35 PM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2016 at 07:33 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

gjbpro1 wrote:
So the lens does focus correctly 30-40% of the time? Have you tried to see if it focuses ok in live view, on a tripod and stationary target with the lens set to manual focus? It may need to be micro adjusted. Does it front or back focus?

I have tried micro-adjusting using the live view, manual focus method. Works fine, but in real AF practice will miss

Oct 18, 2016 at 07:34 PM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

Brea wrote:
I am torn because I found a buyer for the lens and don't want this issue to take weeks on weeks, anyone have quick advice?
Issue is my Ameri friend bought it refurbished and it was warrantied by Canadian CPS, which deemed it as "in spec". I am afraid they want me to send it back to USA back and forth over and over... easier to sell and not stress over this for a month.

Did you disclose the problems you are having to your potential buyer?

Oct 18, 2016 at 07:53 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

acoll123 wrote:
Did you disclose the problems you are having to your potential buyer?

Yes, he will be using it on mirrorless he said.

Oct 18, 2016 at 08:01 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Problem with lens but Canon refuses to acknowledge

Two or three trips to Canon repair is common.

Oct 18, 2016 at 08:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password