New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Help! How to recover lost photos in SD Card

jopadulla

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help! How to recover lost photos in SD Card

Hi tog buddies! I did a family mini session recently. I took sample shots and checked my exposure then I decided to bracket because I was not very sure if I nailed the exposure.
When I went to Lightroom I could not find my first 20 or so shots which I really liked. I tried a recovery software to no avail. My photos from months back resurfaced except the first photos that I took. Have this happened to anybody before?

Thanks for any input!

Nikon D610, 80-200 2.8, 85 1.8, 50 1.4

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:20 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help! How to recover lost photos in SD Card

Did you delete the files you liked? Recovery is possible if you immediately stop using the memory card. Otherwise, deleted files that could be recovered may have been overwritten by newer shots. No recovery software can help in that case. I'll hazard a guess you 'delete' files instead of 'formatting' them.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:41 PM
jopadulla

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help! How to recover lost photos in SD Card

I couldn't have deleted them. Weird thing is, the recovery software recovered hundreds of other shots from months ago. But not the recent ones that I took.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:48 PM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help! How to recover lost photos in SD Card

Since you've already run a recovery and recovered previously deleted/reformatted photos that were on the card but not the 20 you needed it might be possible that those twenty were never processed by the camera when it took the shots. In other words, there is a possibilty that there may not be any real data to recover from those files in the first place. But we can't be sure at this point so don't give up on it and don't use that card until you've exhausted all attempts. It's ok to copy the contents of that card on to a hard drive and run recovery software on the copy file.

What did you use for recovery software? I've used Lexar's program and it brought back a lot of photos that were on a CF card that I accidently reformatted. However, It did not recover any video files from that same card that were included in that unfortunate reformat. Maybe if the videos were just deleted instead of re-formatted it might have worked.

I recommend downloading the Lexar Recovery software and giving that a try. It's free with Lexar cards but you'll need the code from the package or else you can purchase it separately. Better off getting it with a new card. SanDisk includes free software too.

If the files are that important and you're willing to pay a few hundred dollars to get them back, there are professional digital forensic companies you can send it to with a quick turnaround. If they can't do it then those files are truly toasted.

Let us know how you do.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:22 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help! How to recover lost photos in SD Card

Different programs recover different files. Would not hurt to try another brand.
Several offer free trial and if they work you can purchase for a fee. RecoverRX is free to download and free to use. Give it a try.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:42 AM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help! How to recover lost photos in SD Card

Were you using more than 1 card in the camera? If so could they be saved there?

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:40 AM
gpelpel
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help! How to recover lost photos in SD Card

Check you camera settings. Nikon allows you to shoot without a memory card (slot empty release lock). If this setting was not turned to LOCK you could have shot tons of images without saving them.
I would suspect you had a bad card connection or a full card and that you made several shots without being aware they were not saved to the card.

Another possibility is that the shots were saved to the card in the other slot.

I doubt a different software would make a difference in the recovery process. Sorry!

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:16 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help! How to recover lost photos in SD Card

jopadulla wrote:
I couldn't have deleted them. Weird thing is, the recovery software recovered hundreds of other shots from months ago. But not the recent ones that I took.

Did u not realize your card lost these 100+ shots from months ago? If so, that clue #1 to not use anymore.

as last resort, you can try and send to card manufacture company to attempt to recover.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:10 AM
jopadulla

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help! How to recover lost photos in SD Card

Thank you very much for all your inputs! I will definitely try them and will update you on the result. Happy shooting!

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:44 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.