Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

mregala

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

So until Fuji brings out firmware allowing the XT2 to shoot tethered, I have to keep my D4. So I figure I have a month or two to make a decision and I'm hoping that you guys can help!

I love my XT2, and having a second XT2 makes total sense: ease of use when switching bodies, completely interchangeable in case one body fails, etc... but the Xpro2 *looks* really cool. Any functional reasons I might consider the XPro2 over the XT2 as a second body?

I would plan to keep the 50-140 on the XT2, and the other body would be mixed 35/56/17-55 depending on what's going on.

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:51 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

I would keep to the XT2. I have come from Leica M9/M240 and Monochrome and love the RF experience, but with the Fuji I prefer the XT2. My backup also is another XT2... for Marisa, my wife She loves having the Jpegs for times where she does not want to post process shots.

Oct 17, 2016 at 07:05 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

I have and like the XPro2, but it isn't necessarily for everyone. For me it is a great camera for using (mostly) prime lenses, and the optical viewfinder option lets me see outside the frame while shooting quickly, mostly street photography. And you can also use it like the XT2 as an EVF camera when you prefer — in very low light, when using zooms, etc.

However, if you already have an XT2, wouldn't it make sense to duplicate that in your second camera, at least if your best reason for a XPro2 is that "it looks cool?" (It does, but that doesn't trump functionality, right?)

Dan

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:46 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

charles.K wrote:
I would keep to the XT2. I have come from Leica M9/M240 and Monochrome and love the RF experience, but with the Fuji I prefer the XT2. My backup also is another XT2... for Marisa, my wife She loves having the Jpegs for times where she does not want to post process shots.

Fuji won your wife over as well huh? I was wondering if/when that would happen

Oct 17, 2016 at 01:10 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

gdanmitchell wrote:
I have and like the XPro2, but it isn't necessarily for everyone. For me it is a great camera for using (mostly) prime lenses, and the optical viewfinder option lets me see outside the frame while shooting quickly, mostly street photography. And you can also use it like the XT2 as an EVF camera when you prefer — in very low light, when using zooms, etc.

However, if you already have an XT2, wouldn't it make sense to duplicate that in your second camera, at least if your best reason for a XPro2 is that "it looks cool?" (It does, but that
...Show more

I would prefer to have both the XP2 and XT2 myself. They have different functionality and for different types of shooting I find I prefer one or the other body type. Of course if you don't need the OVF of the XP2 the simplicity of having another identical body would likely be much better.

Edited on Oct 17, 2016 at 01:44 PM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2016 at 01:15 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

rbf_ wrote:
Fuji won your wife over as well huh? I was wondering if/when that would happen

She loves the Jpegs !! Marisa also really likes the A7s with the 35/2.8. It an great small/light body paired with the 35/2.8 even though it is only 12MP. Marisa has really noticed the difference in colors between the Fuji and Sony.

Oct 17, 2016 at 01:17 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

If I had a second body for weddings I'd choose one than was slimmer and better looking. And had better knees and feet for the long days.

Oct 17, 2016 at 03:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Delatant
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

Ian - love the humor - altho I had to read it twice as I wasn't expecting it here!!! Keep 'em coming!

I second Charles, up top! There is something about having two bodies that are identical, don't have to switch paradigms in the middle of a shoot, just pick up the other one, and my sub-conscience still works with the same formulas.

Oct 17, 2016 at 03:59 PM
mregala

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

Thanks guys! I don't have any experience with the XPro2, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking some awesome feature!

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:26 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

Different bodies is a PITA for wedding work if you ask me. I tried having a d3s and d750 and while both good, they handle differently enough that it slowed me down. I like knowing where every adjustment dial is without looking. Being able to go from say auto ISO H to low, depending on the shot between those bodies is in different places. It's minor but if you miss a key shot because your messing with the xpro2 silly ISO/SS layout instead of the dedicated dial on your xt2 you'll wish they were the same.

Xpro2 does look cool for sure, but when it's to your eye and you can't see it, the xt2 EVF looks cooler. I do like the looks as well, but I use EVF 99% of the time, so for me, it was about having the best EVF possible and the xpro2 simply doesn't. It's not bad, but it's not the best either, if that makes sense.

If the xpro2 had the same EVF, and the tilt screen, it would be my camera for sure, but as it stands, those features are just so useful that I have to go with a less "sexy" body choice

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:32 PM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

I would say the OVF on the XP2 might be useful at a wedding or event if you personally benefit from seeing what is outside the immediate image, especially with the wider lenses. If you think that might be you, perhaps renting one for a wedding would help. If the OVF was frustrating you could switch to the EVF. For most I would suspect that two XT2s, as, millsart suggests, works best. There is a reason why RFs are not the preferred camera for most.
Chuck

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:42 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

I have both. The XT2 makes complete sense. Practical and efficient.

The Xpro2 is a love thing. It makes less sense but it feels so good.

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:45 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

I'm not knocking the XPro2 because I did enjoy a lot of aspects of the camera, but found that I just couldn't count on the OVF to show me if my subject was actually going to be in focus (well, duh, no real RF camera does that either you at home might be thinking....) but here is the thing.

When I'm shooting for fun, yes, sometimes I thought it looked like the AF box was right on my subject as intended, and then when I review the shot, I might see that nope, it actually wasn't in focus. Not a huge deal, BUT, when its a paid wedding client its not really a time to call "do over". Likewise, I can't really say I enjoyed trying to toggle that little RF patch into the OVF to confirm focus or tell where the AF box actually is.

So then its a question of if your actually going to use the OVF or just stick with the EVF for any critical shooting, and in which case, it comes back to the question of if you want the largest EVF possible.

I've got the 90/2 right now and the DoF on that lens is quite thin at portrait distances. I can luckily tell through the EVF if a shot is or isn't in focus most of the time, but I really rely upon that large, bright EVF to give me that information. On camera's with lesser EVF"s, its harder to tell. My real old XE1 for example was really hard to judge focus as the EVF on that camera didn't have the resolution I needed. XPro2 is a better EVF than that of course, but point remains.

Do you really need to be able to critically judge focus as your working for your style of shooting ? If so, its a strong push to the XT2.

I think the Xpro looks better, actually feels more comfortable in my hand, and a couple of the controls like the AF "nub" fall under my thumb better, but the EVF just isn't as good.

I loved a lot of things about the camera but couldn't get past the fact I wasn't using the OVF feature and I had a $1699 camera with an EVF I didn't love.

XT2 is a camera I like, a camera that works, and with a useful tilt out LCD I make use of, but with a fantastic EVF, which is my main way of interfacing with the camera, and that just really trumps any other feature. That big, bright EVF, set to boost mode, with the cool feature of displaying settings vertically in portrait orientation, makes me totally forget what the camera looks like, how it feels in my hand etc, and totally immerses me in my subject.

Maybe that is the measure of a great camera, that it makes you forgot about the camera, and allows you to concentrate on shooting

Oct 17, 2016 at 09:52 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 2nd body for weddings... thoughts?

I just noted this link to comparing the XPro2 versus the XT2. It summarizes my feelings also. I fully appreciate why many prefer the XPro 2 also

http://fujilove.com/x-t2-further-thoughts-and-real-world-comparison-with-the-x-pro2/

Oct 18, 2016 at 01:56 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password