FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2016 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

charles.K
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

I agree the camera system is sum of all it's part including the philosophy behind the company. This is what I love about Fuji Even with the announcement of the GFX it was a complete package that was being presented not just a camera with sensor on the whim of lenses that will appear later.

I am also finding for FF I have looked at many options and again the decision is looking at the camera and lens combination. The size, weight and cost is large factor in my decision, and I found that opting for a D750 with a 50/1.4 was a great setup and about 1/4 of the cost with Sony (1500 2nd hand versus 6500 AUD)

Oct 26, 2016 at 09:38 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

charles.K wrote:
I agree the camera system is sum of all it's part including the philosophy behind the company. This is what I love about Fuji Even with the announcement of the GFX it was a complete package that was being presented not just a camera with sensor on the whim of lenses that will appear later.

This is one of the main reasons that drew me to Fuji in the first place.

Oct 27, 2016 at 05:10 AM
frezeiss
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

millsart wrote:
I think one really needs to view lenses and body bodies as an integral system, even though there are obvious advantages (and disadvantages) to certain camera bodies and lenses.

I think there are subjectively better lenses at respective focal lengths that some of Fuji's offerings, and a camera like the Xpro2 or XT2 isn't perfect (no camera is).

The strength in the Fuji system is the combination of lens plus camera body. Fuji tends to be stronger as a whole than the sum of its parts, because I haven't come across any other brand that offers lenses of a decent
...Show more

Yes I agree.. Fuji is the most fun to shoot camera right now, its more often with me than my Sony. I always see them not competing but complementing each other very well.

Re the ZM 35 2.8 and 20, i find them equally sharp (sony A7). The faster lens was adequately sharp wide open and becomes blisteringly sharp at 2.8.
I did regret selling the c-biogon as the size was stellar for street shots.

Have everything set with xt1 14, 23 and 35. Been trying to justify the 16-55 but idk, is it worth the high price?

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:57 AM
frezeiss
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

charles.K wrote:

I am also finding for FF I have looked at many options and again the decision is looking at the camera and lens combination. The size, weight and cost is large factor in my decision, and I found that opting for a D750 with a
...Show more

+1

Did you sell all the Sony stuff, Charles?

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:59 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

frezeiss wrote:
+1

Did you sell all the Sony stuff, Charles?

Not quite I still have the A7s and FE 55 and FE 35/2.8.

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:18 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

frezeiss wrote:
Have everything set with xt1 14, 23 and 35. Been trying to justify the 16-55 but idk, is it worth the high price?

I wonder the same. I have one, bought intending it for clubs and events, which I have not done so much, instead going with the 16/1.4 and 56/1.2 on two bodies. Good to have when needed, better wide open and on the long end than the 18-55, but somehow just large enough to discourage daily use.

Zooms ... hate to have them, hate not to have them.

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:36 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

frezeiss wrote:
Yes I agree.. Fuji is the most fun to shoot camera right now, its more often with me than my Sony. I always see them not competing but complementing each other very well.

Re the ZM 35 2.8 and 20, i find them equally sharp (sony A7). The faster lens was adequately sharp wide open and becomes blisteringly sharp at 2.8.
I did regret selling the c-biogon as the size was stellar for street shots.

As Mike has suggested, leave the 16-55 off your list for now. You have the range well covered for now, and if you need a zoom it will be become very apparent. The 24-70 zoom is like a must have zoom, but when I had it as a Canon, I never used it whereas the 70-200/2.8 was always used. If you are intending to do weddings/functions then the 16-55 would be great to have of course, but if in doubt wait and see how your lens lineup works for you

Oct 27, 2016 at 05:42 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

charles.K wrote:
As Mike has suggested, leave the 16-55 off your list for now. You have the range well covered for now, and if you need a zoom it will be become very apparent. The 24-70 zoom is like a must have zoom, but when I had it as a Canon, I never used it whereas the 70-200/2.8 was always used. If you are intending to do weddings/functions then the 16-55 would be great to have of course, but if in doubt wait and see how your lens lineup works for you

I found the 24-70 my most used lens, when shooting events or receptions.

Oct 27, 2016 at 06:14 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

James R wrote:
I found the 24-70 my most used lens, when shooting events or receptions.

I agree for events/receptions it is a must have workhorse The 24-70/2.8 Canon and 16-55/2.8 Fuji are large and heavy, so I am reluctant to use them.

Oct 27, 2016 at 06:36 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

The Fuji 18-55 is a f2.8 to f4 zoom, about half the size/weight, about 1/3rd the cost, and has pretty darn good optics and OS.

I find it works really well for those general wide zoom needs, without really sinking too much cash into a zoom range I don't shoot a lot.

Your giving up a stop on the longed end sure, but IMO its not like 55mm f2.8 is going to produce that different of look that 55mm f4.0. Its one stop extra step on the long end, and 4mm equiv wider on the wide end.

You can nearly get a 56mm f1.2 AND a 18-55 for the price of the 16-55, then you've got the f2.8 wide zoom versatility over most of the range, and a fantastic portrait lens, which is going to work nicer than the long end of the 16-55.

Oct 27, 2016 at 06:56 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

When I was doing weddings and corporate gigs I also utilized a 24-70 Nikon f2.8, but found that about 90% of my shots were usually right around 30-ish mm focal length.

I just never really found zooming to 70mm that useful, since I always had a 70-200 paired with it.

I think I could of got by quite well with a 35mm, but I did value the 24mm end for some larger group shots so it does come in handy.

I always wanted to dare to go something like 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 route, but the zooms were kind of a safety net as I knew I could always get the shot.

Like Charles said, a 70-200 is a really useful range, and having a zoom is invaluable, but a 24-70 isn't quite as important or used now that I'm doing less paid work.

Its fairly easy to "foot zoom" from 24 to 35 to 50mm ranges with about 5-10 steps, which usually is doable in most venues, but going from say a tight 200mm framing to a fuller length 90mm framing ? No way, short of sprinting across the dance floor.

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:08 PM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

Obviously, people like this image on Flickr, but it is affected heavily with smearing on far side. The date must be wrong in camera, or this person had pre-production model already in February. It's hard to say, but it does show image was taken with XT2, and processed with LR.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126665122@N05/30452381841/in/pool-fuji-x-t2

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:17 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

cvrle59 wrote:
Obviously, people like this image on Flickr, but it is affected heavily with smearing on far side. The date must be wrong in camera, or this person had pre-production model already in February. It's hard to say, but it does show image was taken with XT2, and processed with LR.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126665122@N05/30452381841/in/pool-fuji-x-t2

The image is a very nice composition. It is not just the right side, but it is over sharpened as can be seen on the horizon and several areas. The image does need to be sharp to begin with. The 1/20 sec may not have been enough at f/14. Personally I am not having these issues now, but technique in making sure you have a sharp image to begin with is really important. I have many shots with the A7r where there is mush, because of poor technique and issues with camera vibration.

Also since February there have been a number of Lr CC updates, and although not perfect it is now excellent. The ability to get details from well technically well executed images is amazing. You have no AA filter, so the detail is there with sharp lenses and ensuring that you take any field curvature into account. Similarly the A7rII with Loxia 21 is superb setup, but you need to be very careful on the points of intended focus otherwise you end up with mush in the distance which I have many examples off

In essence we have amazing camera systems, with the ability to resolve very fine details, but often the basics of technique are over looked and is more important than ever

Oct 29, 2016 at 06:27 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

charles.K wrote:
The image is a very nice composition. It is not just the right side, but it is over sharpened as can be seen on the horizon and several areas. The image does need to be sharp to begin with. The 1/20 sec may not have been enough at f/14. Personally I am not having these issues now, but technique in making sure you have a sharp image to begin with is really important. I have many shots with the A7r where there is mush, because of poor technique and issues with camera vibration.

Also since February there have been a number
...Show more

The image looks overworked in the shadows.

Oct 29, 2016 at 07:33 PM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

Good to know...thanks for comments, Charles and James!

Oct 29, 2016 at 08:55 PM
photoelle
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

I bought an XT-1 as a backup for my 5D3, and really liked the camera, but the continuous autofocus was not nearly as good as the Canon. However, I was able to learn the Fuji menu & button system, and love the smaller, lighter build, plus the gorgeous colours it produces.

I now have an XT-2, and its so good, now the 5D3 is my backup! In my experience with both, the autofocus is equal to the Canon, and the photos are sharper. I shoot horse shows, so fast, accurate autofocus is a must for me. A lot of my work is indoors, so I've ordered the Nissan i60 flash to complete my Fuji system.

I'm finding the Fuji dynamic range is much better than the Canon, plus I can independently control the highlights and shadows. It also has amazing in camera raw processing with tons of choices.

I've owned most of the 1D series bodies and the 5DM3, and the XT-2 in my opinion is comparable in quality, its modern, lighter and better priced. The XT-2 photos have personality like none other.

Oct 30, 2016 at 12:22 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.