New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2016 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

SvdWijst

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

HELP!

I am thinking about trading in my Canon gear for the new awesome Fuji XT2, but I am afraid I am going to regret it.
Sooooo, did anyone here do the same thing?

I shoot mainly portraits and weddings with 2 5D Mark 3's and I would like 2 XT's instead. Why? Because it has everything that I miss in the 5d3. For example, dual card SD slots. I hate CF card pin bullshit. Wi-Fi, tilting screen, it's small and light, 6 million autofocus points etc. And 1 5d3 already has more than 400k clicks lol.

I almost never take my 5d3 with me for personal stuff because it's just too big, heavy and cumbersome.

But I don't want to regret my choice of course. I could rent one, thought about it... But 1 day will cost me like 100 euros which is quite a lot to test a camera and one day might not be enough to learn the camera and make a wise decision, right?

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:37 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

Take a look at this, it may help you decide.

http://youtu.be/JQRt1w8NxIg

Oct 16, 2016 at 03:03 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

OK, I hear you... I just acquired a X-T2 as a light weight travel kit to supplement my Canon gear. The Fuji is a brilliant system and image quality is nearly as good (and often better) than the 5D3. AF is fantastic and I rarely miss focus, except when camera shake is a problem. Many of the Fuji lenses don't have IS. Flash options are limited and not as well implemented as Canon's 600EX RT. The Menu system isn't as lgical as Canon, but it works once you get comfortable with it. Long lens options are limited. Despite the warts, I really like the Fuji system and it is very usable, especially with manual focus lenses. I plan to keep my long gear for wildlife and nature photography, and reserve the Fuji kit for city and portrait work.

Oct 16, 2016 at 03:56 PM
mregala

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

I was shooting with Nikon D3s and D4 bodies for weddings as autofocus just hasn't been there for Fuji... until the XT2. Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect. In fact here are the cons: AF not 100% of dSLR (maybe 75%), aps-c means DOF bokeh is 1 stop less (2.8 on Fuji 70-200 equivalent is roughly equal to FF 70-200 at f4), have to use different adaptors to use Nikon flashes with HSS or TTL.

But for me, the pros outweigh those: half the weight, built in raw conversion and wifi, less expensive lenses and bodies, small enough to take for everyday stuff and travel, awesome Fuji firmware update support.

If you need ultimate IQ above all else, the 5d3 is a better choice. Unfortunately you won't really know until you try using one a few times. Maybe start with a used XT1 and set up a test shoot but still bring the 5d3 as a backup?

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:05 PM
SvdWijst

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

I use Yongnuo flashes and often just manual, so that should work fine. I would like to buy the kit with the 18 55 lens as a kind of replacement for my 24 105, and i would like to buy the 16 and 56.

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:08 PM
SvdWijst

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

mregala wrote:
I was shooting with Nikon D3s and D4 bodies for weddings as autofocus just hasn't been there for Fuji... until the XT2. Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect. In fact here are the cons: AF not 100% of dSLR (maybe 75%), aps-c means DOF bokeh is 1 stop less (2.8 on Fuji 70-200 equivalent is roughly equal to FF 70-200 at f4), have to use different adaptors to use Nikon flashes with HSS or TTL.

But for me, the pros outweigh those: half the weight, built in raw conversion and wifi, less expensive lenses and bodies, small enough to take
...Show more

Thnx man! I could buy a second hand XT1 but that would cost me around 750 euros while a brandnew XT2 costs 1400 brand new (i get 21% tax back).

I dont know about the 5d3 IQ. I had a 6d, which i sold, and i liked the IQ better especially at high iso. The 5d3 seems to have more noise and its noticeable, at least to my eye. The XT2 seems to be superb at high iso as well, and the primes are super fast, light and small.

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:20 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

I've used the 5DII and 5DsR and I currently use a XPro2, following over three and a half years using a XE1.

The two camera options (XT2 and 5D3) have different strengths and weaknesses, so the real question is how your needs line up with those.

Pluses for 5D3

As good as the mirrorless AF systems are becoming — and they are much improved — the Canon DSLR is still faster and more likely to get accurate focus in situations that push the AF system.

There are advantages to the larger full frame sensor, even though the MP count is very similar. Whether these advantages matter to you is something for you to consider.

While the CF cards may bother you — though your reaction seems a bit over the top to me — they are reliable and their size makes them less likely to drop to get lost.

Electronic flash is more integrated and with more options than with Fujifilm.

Pluses for the XT2

The system size (lenses and bodies) can be smaller, largely because of the smaller format and the mirrorless design. (Lenses that roughly match the functionality of what you likely use with your Canon system are available.)

Low light, high ISO performance may be a bit better with the Fujifilm camera — in case you frequently find yourself shooting at ISO 3200-6400.

AF, while not as fast or reliable as DSLR systems at this point, is quite decent and can work almost as well.

Both systems likely provide all the lenses you'll need. Both manufacturers build quality products, including lenses and bodies.

I'm surprised that someone considering such a major switch in his professional gear would find the expenditure of $100 too much, and would instead perhaps rely on comments in a photography forum. My thinking is that if you are considering such a significant change you should probably at least acquire a XT1 system with a couple of lenses and give it a try — better yet, get an XT2 with a couple lenses. You can always sell them at a small loss, but that is a reasonable cost for making sure you don't make a mistake.

Dan

Oct 16, 2016 at 06:56 PM
mregala

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

Well I'd personally choose to just buy the XT2 and if it's not suitable for your wedding and portraiture stuff, hey at least you have a great travel camera :-)

Or maybe you can find someone close by in a photography club or MeetUp group that would let you shoot with it for a bit? At least you will get a feel for the menu system, focusing speed, and other nuances of using a different system.

Lastly, you could spend the 100 euros and rent it for a test shoot... this is the only real way you'll know how you feel about it, under pressure on a live shoot!

Let us know what you decide and how things go!!

Oct 16, 2016 at 07:00 PM
tgrantster
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

Made the switch a year ago from 5d3 to X-T1. If you mainly shoot in one shot you'll be alright. I don't notice a difference between x-t1 and canon in that regard. If you mainly shoot in servo you may regret it. Thinking the Fuji may struggle a bit during those low light first dance at the reception type shots.

If you're a mainly natural light shooter you'll love the spot metering on the focus point. Don't know why Canon reserves that for their 1d bodies.

It's a huge change though...why not take it a bit slow and ease into Fuji. In a few more months the X-T1's will be dirt cheap and you can grab a few lenses over a little while. See how thing work in a non-professional environment. If you don't like it sell the gear. You may lose a little but if you get it used and play around for a few months it'll probably cost less than renting. The biggest difference I noticed was autofocus...there are pros and cons in that regards but autofocus performance is very subjective and worth giving a good run through before you commit.

Oct 16, 2016 at 07:18 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

After reading all the positive comments on the xt2, i tried one at the store. Coming from the 5d3, i don't like the brick-like body. For my hands it is uncomfortable hold. I also don't like the tiny buttons. I use speedlights frequently (wireless trigger), and Fuji is no match for Canon atm. My last major concern is battery life on the Fuji. I would have to carry and maintain at least 4-5 batteries to get the work done.

A big plus for the xt2 is its ability to push shadows without almost any penalties. However, from what i can tell, the xt2 still suffers from watercolor or worms effects.

All in all fuji has a nice system, but it lacks for me to use it profesionally.

Try it out at the store or rent it. It's the only way to make sure it will fit.

Oct 19, 2016 at 08:20 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

SvdWijst wrote:
HELP!

I am thinking about trading in my Canon gear for the new awesome Fuji XT2, but I am afraid I am going to regret it.
Sooooo, did anyone here do the same thing?

I shoot mainly portraits and weddings with 2 5D Mark 3's and I would like 2 XT's instead. Why? Because it has everything that I miss in the 5d3. For example, dual card SD slots. I hate CF card pin bullshit. Wi-Fi, tilting screen, it's small and light, 6 million autofocus points etc. And 1 5d3 already has more than 400k clicks lol.

I almost never take my 5d3
...Show more

Tough call actually. Weddings are no joke, depending on the circumstances, and while the XT2 is a very good camera, I know the 5D3 is also very dependable in AF (I didn't shoot a wedding with mine, but a few other events and it was very good). I haven't shot a wedding with my XT2 (and don't plan to) but did shoot a retirement and most shots were on-point -- but a retirement (military retirement ceremony) is much slower-paced than a wedding.

Another thing to consider - XT2 being smaller means the Yongnuos will feel less balanced as you grip the camera -- I run into this every time with a smaller body and my Yong 560 EX IIIs. It's doable, but I would highly recommend a grip of some sort on the XT2s unless you love wrist aches.

I guess with enough practice, you could most definitely shoot a wedding with an XT2, just don't expect there to be a 1-to-1 'conversion' of how the cameras work. You may find the focus more accurate on the XT2, but more finicky as the lights dim -- tradeoffs.

edit -- to amend my post -- I managed to shoot a wedding with an Olympus EM1, Panasonic GX1 and a NEX-5N for cryin out loud (including some heinous light during reception), so it's definitely possible with a pair of XT2s.

Edited on Oct 19, 2016 at 09:21 AM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2016 at 08:32 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

+1 on wedding pressure. I wouldn't do a wedding with any gear I wasn't 100% confident in. I would stick with the Canon for now, but rent a Fuji to supplement as a second body and see how it does.

Also, to say that Fuji has an underdeveloped lighting system is to tell a lie through gross understatement. An LED flashlight taped to a flashstand provides nearly as much control Fuji's current system. Nissin flashes are possible to give TTL, and *possibly* HSS, Yongnuo's will do full manual well. But don't expect TTL/HSS yet, or even solid wireless triggers. Cactus has some that are working, and may even work with your existing Canon flashes.

Myself, I am hoping they fix the heat issues on the EF-X500 soon. I need a good solution for some basic fill flash, and would love to overpower the sun. I can get by with the PC cord and using one flash off-camera and a reflector for good lighting days. But there isn't a great 3 flash setup that is affordable.

Oct 19, 2016 at 09:02 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

TheEmrys wrote:
Also, to say that Fuji has an underdeveloped lighting system is to tell a lie through gross understatement.

I was trying to be polite — and recognize that not all wedding photography necessarily requires electronic flash. Fujifilm currently has no electronic flash products for the X-trans cameras, and third party systems are very few in number.

Daan B wrote:
After reading all the positive comments on the xt2, i tried one at the store. Coming from the 5d3, i don't like the brick-like body. For my hands it is uncomfortable hold. I also don't like the tiny buttons.

This issue may be less clear cut than some think. When I first started using Fujifilm x-trans cameras about four+ years ago, my initial reaction was similar — I felt that the controls were generally too small, placed too close together, and located in places where I might accidentally activate them. If I recall correctly, I probably criticized the cameras publicly for this reason. (Though, from the beginning, I felt overall very positive about them.)

However...

After actually using the camera (initially an XE1) I realized that I was presuming that the interface of the larger cameras I was familiar with was "normal," and that "different" meant worse. After shooting with the cameras for a few weeks I naturally adapted the way I held it and I learned (manual reading is useful!) that I could easily change a few settings to avoid some issues I had. For example, I kept accidentally putting the camera into macro mode by hitting one of the buttons on the back... until I found out that there was a simple setting to lock the button until I needed to use it.

At this point I have only one real criticism of the Fujifilm designs — that the exposure compensation knob is in a position where I tend to accidentally move it and that it turns a bit more easily than I would like. Other than that, I know find the camera (now the XPro2) very natural and comfortable to use.

Trying something in the store is a kind of two-edged sword. Yes, you will have a reaction to the interface. But, on the other hand, you might make judgments based on what you are familiar with rather than what will become comfortable.

At this point, I'm equally comfortable with the XPro2 and my Canon system.

TheEmrys wrote:
I wouldn't do a wedding with any gear I wasn't 100% confident in. I would stick with the Canon for now, but rent a Fuji to supplement as a second body and see how it does.

Professionally speaking, I am not a wedding photographer. However, from time to time I do photograph weddings. (This ranges from seconding another photographer to doing a sort of background shoot while the hired photographer(s) does/do his/her thing. And, yes, I know enough to stay out of there way.) I recently had a couple of opportunities to do this with family members when two sons were married this summer.

(Please — no need to tell me the difference between professional wedding photographers and what I do/did. I thoroughly understand this, which is why we hired professional wedding photographers. Plus, for my own kids, I don't want to have the primary responsibility!)

For me, the XPro2 worked very well for the quick, spontaneous stuff that I could shoot using primes — where I took a kind of street photographer approach to the work. Whether a person who makes his/her living doing wedding photography would like that or not probably depends on a whole bunch of variables, including the style of the photographer's work.

In the end, I don't think there is a single, clear answer to the question of whether these cameras would work and how well — it is quite a subjective issue, I think.

Dan

http://www.gdanmitchell.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/JamesonMeghanStatenIslandFerryManhattan20161007.jpg

Edited on Oct 19, 2016 at 09:51 AM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2016 at 09:34 AM
voltaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

I am not a pro but have essentially transitioned from 1DX and 5D3 to the XT2 and XPro 2. The Canons are still with me but this upcoming trip will be the real test for the new Fujis. Weight was the initial reason I switched because of shoulder surgery. As I patiently used the XT1, I started enjoying the colors, sharpness and no penalties in the shadows. There is something about Fuji that makes it film-like not counting the ergonomics that throws a photographer back to the days before digital.

As far as flash, there is no denying that Fuji still has its work cut out. I've gotten around with Pocket Wizards using the 600 EX RTs. All is in manual settings so again it might not be ideal for your intent of use.

Get yourself an XT2 and rent a 16-55 f/2.8 or even a 56 f/1.2 (equiv. to the Canon 85 f/1.2 II). See how you like it first. XT2s are really popular so I don't think you'll have a hard time selling it if you realize this isn't what you want.

Oct 19, 2016 at 09:36 AM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

Daan B wrote:
After reading all the positive comments on the xt2, i tried one at the store. Coming from the 5d3, i don't like the brick-like body. For my hands it is uncomfortable hold. I also don't like the tiny buttons. I use speedlights frequently (wireless trigger), and Fuji is no match for Canon atm. My last major concern is battery life on the Fuji. I would have to carry and maintain at least 4-5 batteries to get the work done.

A big plus for the xt2 is its ability to push shadows without almost any penalties. However, from what i can
...Show more

"the xt2 still suffers from watercolor or worms effects"
I'm glad that I'm not the only one noticing this. This actually made me to turn my head back to Nikon.
I loved everything else about Fuji, and I was very excited about X-T2, hoping for difference, compared to X-T1.
Yes, it is better, but unfortunately still there.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:43 AM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

I too have noticed this but only when over sharpening so far. You push the amount too much and you get worms.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:35 AM
svenjosh
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

cvrle59 wrote:
I'm glad that I'm not the only one noticing this. This actually made me to turn my head back to Nikon.
I loved everything else about Fuji, and I was very excited about X-T2, hoping for difference, compared to X-T1.
Yes, it is better, but unfortunately still there.

I would love to see this unusual effect. Can you please post something that shows this effect.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:36 AM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

svenjosh wrote:
I would love to see this unusual effect. Can you please post something that shows this effect.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately not, sorry. I had X-T2 for 2 days before I sold it. I made about 200-300 critical shots, to test how that sensor renders far side of the landscapes especially green forest or similar. None of those shots were important to me, and I didn't save them, but I was able to see what I was after (better say, what I was not).
If you don't notice any artificials in your images, you're a happy one with a beautiful camera, and even more beautiful lenses.
I do, and I'm not happy to carry heavy artillery again, called D810 (Sony is too expensive for my pocket).
BTW, I still catch myself thinking, if I overlooked something, and I probably gave more time to it, as I loved everything else. But obviously, it's not just me, some other people noticing this too.
Three X-T2's showed up on our local website for sale,in last 3 days (one already sold), and I tried to contact those owners to find out what they didn't like, but conversations went nowhere. I guess they would like to sell them first before they disclose reasons they did.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:52 AM
svenjosh
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

I do hope someone posts something to show this problem. I see this problem mentioned but never get to see it. Just curious.

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:39 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Switch 5D3 to XT2?

cvrle59 wrote:
Unfortunately not, sorry. I had X-T2 for 2 days before I sold it. I made about 200-300 critical shots, to test how that sensor renders far side of the landscapes especially green forest or similar. None of those shots were important to me, and I didn't save them, but I was able to see what I was after (better say, what I was not).
If you don't notice any artificials in your images, you're a happy one with a beautiful camera, and even more beautiful lenses.
I do, and I'm not happy to carry heavy artillery again, called D810 (Sony is too
...Show more

I'm curious on how you processed those few hundred shots. X-trans images seem to need a different treatment in Lr compared to Nikon or Canon files. I used my trusty Nikon D4s sharpening/noise presets and was not happy with the results. I was able to tweak the images, which did improve them. However, I was off to the blogosphere and FM for help. Now all is well and I'm happy again.

Edited on Oct 19, 2016 at 03:03 PM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:40 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.