New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Need advice for "For Sale" Payment and Shipping

Psychprof711

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need advice for "For Sale" Payment and Shipping

I have a batch of camera gear to sell (with photos, condition, description, etc.) but need some advice on easiest, safest payment/shipping methods successful folks have employed. I will most likely use PayPal. Do you include the price of shipping to CONUS in the price and also wrap the PayPal fee into the sales price? Any particular shipping suggestions for camera and lenses? Suggestions welcome and thanks.

Oct 16, 2016 at 01:41 PM
diablo2112
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need advice for "For Sale" Payment and Shipping

The most important bit of advice when using paypal is always give or accept payment as a merchandise transaction. Never, ever, ever use paypal gift for a purchase. Given that, it's usually easier to just wrap in the 3% fee to your asking price, and this tends to reassure potential buyers when you tell them you'll "cover the fee" for a merchandise transaction, even though this is semantics.

It's not unusual to state that shipping is extra and at actual cost; many buyers will want an estimate. That all depends on the particulars (distance, countries, package size). A nice touch is to include the shipping from location and parcel dimensions and weight, though it is a bit more hassle.

Good luck!

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:33 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need advice for "For Sale" Payment and Shipping

And of course fully insure and require a signature for delivery. NO boxes left on doorsteps and tell your Buyer to refuse delivery of any visibly damaged package.

In my ten or so purchases on the B/S board one thing that really catches my attention is the quality of packing. I've never sold anything but if I did - I'd head straight to the UPS Store or FedEX Office, have it packed professionally and take a photo of the packaging before they seal the box.

I've never received anything damaged but the packing jobs have ranged from immaculate to beat up old boxes. Used boxes are rarely impressive. Pack it as you would most appreciate receiving it.

In my opinion FedEx is the safer service with less damage in general but I wouldn't hesitate to ship UPS unless it was a very high value item.

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:05 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need advice for "For Sale" Payment and Shipping

Joe and Chuck have it 100% correct. Since under PayPal Buyers have a six month window to dispute any transaction, you do NOT want to leave any loopholes through which the Buyer gets an advantage in their attempt to file a dispute. Note especially Chuck's (nolaguy) recommendation about professional packing and photo before box is sealed.

Be certain to build into your item charge not only the PP fees and shipping but include insurance for full value. You can certainly advise your Buyer about what the shipping and insurance costs would be. And for goodness sake DO NOT USE PAYPAL GIFT at any time, even if the Buyer says that's the only way they will do the sale. In your ad, do NOT NOT NOT USE THE STUPID PHRASE "NET TO ME." It's your item and YOU have the responsibility for setting the price all costs included.

If shipping is more than what I anticipated, I've eaten the cost. If it's less, I've refunded it to Buyer. HTH anthony

Oct 16, 2016 at 06:35 PM
Psychprof711

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need advice for "For Sale" Payment and Shipping

Thanks so much for the great advice!

Oct 17, 2016 at 07:26 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need advice for "For Sale" Payment and Shipping

anthonysemone wrote:
Joe and Chuck have it 100% correct. Since under PayPal Buyers have a six month window to dispute any transaction, you do NOT want to leave any loopholes through which the Buyer gets an advantage in their attempt to file a dispute. Note especially Chuck's (nolaguy) recommendation about professional packing and photo before box is sealed.

Be certain to build into your item charge not only the PP fees and shipping but include insurance for full value. You can certainly advise your Buyer about what the shipping and insurance costs would be. And for goodness sake DO NOT USE PAYPAL
...Show more

Tony(and the others) sez it 100%. There sometimes IS a cost to doing business here but you will reap the rewards. I have on numerous times refunded overestimated shipping costs. It is the only ethical thing to do.
Dan

Oct 17, 2016 at 07:51 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.