New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Backup software

Hotspur
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backup software

I have ~700 GB of photos. I back up on two separate externals, 2 TB each, rotating them to my safe deposit box. I use 'xcopy' with switches to get the changed files, so the first backup I do is full and subsequent runs add just the new or changed files.

However, if I dump a full CF card into Lightroom and do a backup, then do my sorting, I will typically delete 3/4 of the shots. I then do my differential backup, which adds the changed LR catalog to the backup disk. However, the backup disk still has all the files that I have deleted from my master catalog, which is on the internal hard disk.

When I restore the full backup after a disk crash or after changing PCs, now I have all the files that were deleted from LR and which LR does not see anymore, but they're taking up space on the disk. Over time this will grow into an increasing problem.

1. What to do about deleting the trash that's there now?
2. How to keep it from building up in future?

My new PC has Win 10, and I want to solve the above problems. In addition, I want a program that verifies the written files with checksum to see that the backup went correctly.

I'm considering the MS Win 10 built-in backup and File History tools as well as the 5 listed in the following PC Mag review. Does anyone know if any of these tools does what I want?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2278661,00.asp

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:20 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backup software

I use Bart. Which is free and does every thing you are talking about.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:53 PM
Hotspur
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backup software

Had not heard of Bart. Looks good. However, I cannot see if it runs checksum to compare source with target files to verify that they all copied correctly. Do you know? Thanks for the tip.

Oct 16, 2016 at 01:05 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backup software

You can set it to verify all files, but that slows it down considerably.

Oct 16, 2016 at 01:09 PM
Hotspur
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backup software

I see that it can verify that a file can be opened before writing but nothing about comparing the source and destination to see that they're the same. Out of 5600 files so far there are 5 errors. What do I do about those? Will the log tell me the filenames? Thanks for your help.

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:07 PM
newhaven
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backup software

I have StorageCraft ShadowProtect 5. I use it to backup my C: drive and on one occasion used the usb drive recovery enviroment to restore my system. I would download the trial version or give them a call.

Oct 16, 2016 at 08:46 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backup software

I use Karen's Replicator - not the most sophisticated program - suits me fine.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/karens_replicator.html

Oct 16, 2016 at 08:51 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backup software

Hotspur wrote:
I see that it can verify that a file can be opened before writing but nothing about comparing the source and destination to see that they're the same. Out of 5600 files so far there are 5 errors. What do I do about those? Will the log tell me the filenames? Thanks for your help.

The only time I have ever had an error reported, is when the destination drive did not have sufficient space. I always set it to safe mode the first time I set my paths, run it in safe and see what happens. Then when I am satisfied that all is good, I set it to recursive.

Oct 16, 2016 at 09:27 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backup software

I am on a mac so cannot comment on backup software but you are not deleting the files from Lightroom correctly. I mark the files to be deleted by marking them as rejected by typing "x". When I am done, I hit Command Delete (check for the equivalent Windows command). It will then ask if you want to just Remove from the Catalog (default) or Delete from Disk. I always select Delete from Disk, since there is no need to keep junk files. It sounds like you are just removing from the catalog.

The easiest way I know to find the files you have removed from the catalog and failed to delete is the following. Right click on the folder in LR and select Synchronize Folder. This will re-import the junk files. Then immediately select all and hit x to reject them. Then hit the Command delete equivalent to delete them from the disk. You can do this by individual folders or turn on "show photos in subfolders" under Library to do a whole folder/subfolder set. Start small till you get the hang of it.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:08 PM
Hotspur
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Backup software

I always do Ctrl + Backspace, which deletes from disk. The problem comes because I backed up before deleting the files, and then they get restored when I migrate to a new disk or new PC.

But your tip to synchronize folder is exactly what I'm looking for. I did not know that. Thanks

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:14 PM
Hotspur
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Backup software

Found the 5 errors: 3 were files I had open, and 2 were trying to copy the pagefile. So 2 thumbs up for Bart! Thanks all.

Oct 17, 2016 at 08:06 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.